Just Saw Something Very Disturbing (AC Will Not Do Anything)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LionsRawr

Reaction score
So I had heard that my next door neighbors went out and purchased pet store rabbits to breed and eat. No im not kidding you.

These people have had many run ins with Animal control concerning their abuse and neglect of their dogs (one of which was handed over to me as a starved sick puppy near death). But being Ohio and living in the county I do. AC really isn't that harsh when it comes to this. They will not take a animal unless it is near death (and its up to the individual officer what "near death" looks like).

So to what I witnessed today. About an hour ago I was outside with my dogs when I noticed the husband drag a trash can down to his garage. He then told his daughter to go inside. Im sure most of you can figure what I saw without going into too much detail......Needless to say not one rabbit survived as he hauled the hutch they were kept in along with the trash can to the curb.

Its so sickening because they have only had these rabbits for a few weeks. And now they are all dead. From what I can figure and from what I saw starved to death.

I made a call to AC and they said they would come and check it out. But they havent gotten here yet. I don't expect much to happen. But atleast I can say I tried to get those poor rabbits justice.

And these are not the first animals to starve to death on their property. But they continue to be allowed to have animals. I just don't understand it :(:X

What a sad thing to see. Is there any way you can take pictures of the dead rabbits on the curb? That would be something to show AC if they do turn up.

Poor bunnies. Binky Free bunnies.

If you have a good zoom you might be able to do it from a distance away.

Its ok to be angry, and its right to be angry because you care about them. Maybe channle that anger to do all you can to get justice for those buns and maybe even future animals (because sometimes people are banned fro having animals if they negelct to a very extreme level).

I would call and "harass" AC until they come. They need to see those dead rabbits in the trash bag for evidence...and then hopefully they will do something about it.

That is HORRIBLE!!! How can people be so heartless about animals. They have feelings too, and suffer in pain.So sad :(

Keep us updated please.

Take as many pictures and get as much evidence as you can. The AC here is the same, they won't do much either.

That is so sad. There isn't really anything you can even say to them...its just, awful.

That's so awful, I admire you for you actions, if it was me you'd have to hold me back from going round their myself!
It's such a terrible waste of life, when they could of have loving homes. I really hope that justice can be done.

Another thing to do is contact the city attorney and the district attorney. We had a neighbor that had junk cars, boats, old appliances and weeds taller than me. We called the fire dept, the police, and code enforcement several times--never even a call back. I called the city attorney and asked her why the law wasn't being enforced--do I have to sue to protect my rights and property value? Gave her all the times and who I left the messages for. Within 15 minutes I got four phone calls. The next day the horses -ss was given fourteen citations and 72 hours to correct and clean up. Unfortunately, the squeaky wheel gets the grease while the nice wheel just gets ignored or given lame stories. Since they weren't pets, they might fall under "livestock" guidelines--just another angle of approach. Good Luck!!

I agree with taking photos.. in addition to AC, do you have a local SPCA to call? I would call any SPCA in the state, if I were you. Also look for local rabbit rescues and even news stations who may publicize the story. Publicity typically leads to action. And proof is a necessity, so pictures of the trash bag of dead rabbits outside of there house is CRUCIAL.

Lastly, I would contact the pet store that sold them the rabbits and let them know what happened. Although many pet stores are bad news themselves, there are plenty who would NOT sell to this person again knowing the fate of previous rabbits at the house.

Good luck. Poor rabbits..

Things like this make me wish that this country had more compassion about the good of the whole, rather than individual rights. Because some people just shouldn't be allowed to do some things.
Your neighbors are obviously unfit to own animals of any kind, for any reason.

You should definitely get as much evidence as possible, and call AC, SPCA, the pet store, city attorney, etc. If you're on the street, you should be within your rights to take photos. Show those photos to AC, SPCA, etc.

If this isn't the first time animals have died from starvation or neglect, it won't be the last. Unless someone does something about it.

I agree with all the posts here. Your neighbors should not have had those rabbits. Call as many people as you can. Get those poor bunnies the justice that they deserve. Those neighbors should be locked up for what they did to those bunnies. If it was me I would have ripped them a new hole in the kisser, and that is putting it nicely. I am so very angry at your neighbors.

I would just like to take animal control's side for a second, they try their best to do everything they can to stop this, but not everyone who calls in are honest citizens. In Australia I've heard too many stories of the RSPCA and Animal Control being called in on complaints that animals are being abused to find that there is nothing wrong or there is only a very slight infraction.

In saying this, with the right evidence presented they will swiftly and justly come down on these people. So take the pictures and make sure you have the time and date right on your camera. Get their house in the picture, make sure it's easily identifiable.

But make sure the rabbits did starve, make sure it was not something else! The last thing you want to do is call in the AC only to find out that it was an unavoidable events. Also be reasonable and understanding if you have to talk to the AC people, the last thing you want to seem like is that you're running around with a torch and pitchfork declaring witch on everyone!

SweetSassy wrote:
Saudade wrote:
mardigraskisses wrote:
Pet store rabbits to eat? :? That's beyond disgusting.
To you maybe.
I can't believe you say that :(
I love animals just as much as the next person, I make sure the animals under my care are well provided for and have everything that they need.
But they are still animals, I'm an apex predator, every night when I tuck in to some beef or lamb or fish, I'm eating an animal. Now if those animals weren't farmed and put on the table for me I would be out there with a bow and an arrow or a gun and I would be hunting them for my meals.
Rabbits are no different.
I was raised with a farm lifestyle, and so many of you out there haven't been taught the value of what you get everyday. You don't keep a cow just because it has sentimental value, you keep it because it has beef or milk value. You don't keep chickens because you like them, you keep them for meat and for eggs. The same goes for all animals. Dogs are there to help with the farm work, cats are there as mousers.
I don't mean to offend anyone by saying this, but if it came down to it and there was no other way for me to survive I would eat Lucy just like I would eat any other piece of meat. I would be upset, I enjoy Lucy she has her purpose in my life to provide me with relaxation and entertainment.

If these people want to have rabbits for meat then I see nothing wrong with that, the way they treated them? Then yes there is a problem with that. Not all meat breeders should be thought of in this way though, there are quite a few who treat their rabbits just as well as they treat their pets. They give them the same amount of attention and care, because for those people keeping their food healthy and happy is just as important as keeping their pets happy.

I have not meant to offend anyone, I feel I've put forward my beliefs here, in a rational and inoffensive way, not to incite or provoke retaliation. I respect other people's beliefs no matter my feelings towards how they choose to perceive their animals and I only ask that you do the same for my beliefs.
In no way do my beliefs here impact on my treatment of my pets, they get the same amount of love.
*edit*
I am also compassionate towards all animals, I will always help a sick or injured animal, and I treat them in most cases with more respect than I would a human.

This is a one of those topics that usually spins out of control quickly. We prefer for those conversations between members to continue from that point, on through PMs. :) I think you two have stated your opinions and if you feel there's more to say, I'd appreciate it if you would continue it privately. Thank you!!! :D

We're allowed to feel passionate about things. It's healthy and human. We just prefer to not divide our members over certain topics.

Speaking of topics, let's swing this one right back to the topic at hand! :)

This family apparently wasn't raising them for meat, because you don't starve an animal to eat it. You would want it to be healthy to consume it.

I hope that you can get the proper authorities involved, and I hope that the family can see the error in what they are doing.

Elf Mommy wrote:
I'd appreciate it if you would continue it privately. Thank you!!!
No problem, I'm happy to discuss it with anyone in pm's!
Love you Minda!

As I said, make sure you get the pictures, in any case where it is an animal being abused, you must make sure that the pictures clearly show the location, the time and the date, that you don't tamper with the dead or abused animals at all.

NEVER, I repeat, NEVER! Take the law in to your own hands, everyone has a right to a fair trial and due process no matter their crimes.
NEVER, I repeat, NEVER! Take any action other than notifying the authorities, that includes stealing the animals, freeing them, feeding them, providing them with water, doing anything at all. I know your heart tells you to do it, but there is nothing that you can or should do. By all means have food and water ready for the animals once animal control arrives if they choose to take the animals away they are always very thankful when neighbours come out with these things. Any assistance you can provide them will always be a great help.

Remember there is a system in place for a reason, by taking the law in to your own hands you can become the reason the system can't work. People can get off scott free because of minor actions on your part.

mardigraskisses wrote:
Pet store rabbits to eat? :? That's beyond disgusting.
no its not!
in ireland people still eat rabbit.
i was on holiday. in malta, they had rabbits for sale for meat in good condistion. resturants ld cooked rabbit, fried rabbit.
just because its a pet aniamls does not mean others cant eat it. as i said, people in ireland where i live eat rabbit.
does other members know other places?
and hey. whats wrong. pet shop.. its better tahn breed in cages then sold to the market.
as long as they had a nice life and killed humanly its fine.
i ate rabbit on holiday,a nd i ahve owned 8 rabbits.
but this case is not good. not human or ethical.
*hopes thread is not locked*
dave- hi five/snaps same idea

Latest posts

Back