Just rescued a wild bunny... I need some help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DustyBunny

Reaction score
My sisters friend walked into her apartment earlier and found a tiny baby rabbit in the kitchen and one of her cats was trying to kill it. She brought it over here because I have a rabbit, so she figured i'd know what to do. It's a tiny little baby and so scared. What should I do? Keep it and take care of it? It doesn't look hurt at all, just lost some fur. I am so lost!

He/she is the cutest little thing though. No bigger than a baby kitten!

Honestly, since you don't know what you're getting into, the best thing would be to contact your animal control department. They can take the baby to a rehabber.If you have some KMR, you could try bottle feeding it, but I doubt you'd have some. Is the baby injured? If it is, its chances are VERY slim.

Do you know for sure it's a wild bunny? Do you have a pic?

If his eyes are open and he's that big, he's already weaned, don't give himmilk, just grass and water should suffice.

If for sure he's wild, keep him calm and alone in a dark area with the food and water until you cantake him to rehabber or a safe area and let him go.

I'd lean towardsthe rehabber,depending on your area(call anonymously and askthemwhat theythink you should do) becauseI'dbe inclined towatch him for a bitto make surethere's no cat damage. Even the catsaliva in a tiny bite markcan be deadly).

Hope he's okay.

sas :pray:

Pipp's right- if you're cat brought him in (and therefore had him in it's mouth at some point), he needs immediate medical attention; because a nasty bacterial infection can result fromcat's saliva - from only the tiniest of punctures that may not bevisible to the naked eye. The fact that fur is missing is a big warning as well.

Looking "Scared" in wild rabbits can also mean he is in shock - and will need to be looked at asap by a trained professional - these little ones can go downhill fast.

Contact your nearest rehabber - they'll be able to let you know what to do - whether that be letting him go, or bringing him in for a full exam and the works.

Good luck!

bunnylove83 wrote:
Pipp's right- if you're cat brought him in (and therefore had him in it's mouth at some point), he needs immediate medical attention; because a nasty bacterial infection can result from cat's saliva - from only the tiniest of punctures that may not be visible to the naked eye.
That is so true, that killed one of our strong male bucks, so please think about the advice given to you. :)

And keep us updated :)

Hi,

I am a licensed wildlife rehabber in NC. Most states have laws that restrict who can hold wildlife and what can be done.It is meant to protect both the animal and the general public from zoonotic issues. Depending on age and medical status, there are several things that need to be done. First,since a cat was involved, that rabbit should be on antibiotics already. Cat's have the dirtiest mouth in the world. Their teeth are so sharp that it is impossible to seethe small nicks that might have happened.Standing rule with neonates and birds...if a cat was involved,administer antibiotics and the sooner, the better. Do not feed KMR or goat's milk.That is old school stuff that is just inaccurate.There is no where close enough to the proper nutrition in that stuff. The closest thing you can get to the formula that rehabbers use is Esbilac Puppy Powder. A cottontail requireshigh fat and high protein...exactly opposite of an adult rabbit (domestic or wild). The formulas we use in rehab are a minimum of 32% crude protein and 40% crude fat. If you check KMR or goat's milk, you will see that it doesn't compare. Improper nutrition in those early days lead to major problems after weaning.Rabbit'sprefer their formula warm...near body temp.Rabbits do not have a good sucking ability. Many that haven't opened their eyes are fed by a feeding catheter inserted into the stomach. Older rabbits easily aspirate when untrained people attempt to feed them. They need supplemental heat until a few days after their eyes open....again many neonates and birds quickly become hypothermic at room temperatures. And then there is the 21 day terror. It's a violent conversion in the GI tract that makes stasis look like a walk in the park.The pH in the gut rapidly changes from neutral to acidic. The quick climate change alters the bacteria population allowing e coli and clostridium to grow. Both are toxic and can cause rapid death. This rabbit's....and any wildlife that is orphaned and/or injured...best chance is with a trained rehabilitator.And even then, seeing a cat encounter...this rabbit is "behind the eight ball". Not trying to bring you down....helping wildlife is a very rewarding feeling. As a rehabber, we appreciate when people do care and get involved. But we like to have every chance of helping the animal by getting them in-house for proper treatment as soon as possible. You have already shown tremendous compassion....keep it going and get this bun to a trained rehabber.

If anyone needs rehab contacts...I have lists from all over the US. I will be happy to send you the contact list.

"Keep the wild in your heart...not in your home"

Randy

Back