Just neutered rabbit shakes/vibrates

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Ici

Reaction score
Little Sonic has just been fixed (she's a girl).
She's dead to the world, zonked out on the anaesthetic.
Her leg's just started to vibrate really fast.
Does anyone know what I should do?
I am scared x
Can't stay, need to stroke her head
rsvp

*edit* - Oh thankfully she managed to move herself and the shaking has stopped. Her leg was vibrating really, really fast and I was so worried.

It's been a few hours now since the op and she can't get comfy in her litter tray. She can move and can scratch her head.

Needing words of comfort, I wil hopefully look back on this in two days and laugh at my over-reaction.

Wait, Sonic is still unconscious from the anastetic? Why is she at home with you instead of at the vet's? Keep her warm to avoid shock. How long has she been asleep?

I'm going to move this to the Infirmary for you so it will get noticed more and hopefully you'll get more advice :)

In the meantime, how long ago was she spayed? Is she on pain meds? How old is she? Has she eaten/drank/pooped or peed since you bought her home?

Those answers will help people to help you :)

I hope Sonic is feeling better soon!

For right now, make sure she has pain medication to give orally, something warm to lean on, and maybe syringe her water. A sock full of uncooked rice can be microwaved to provide some warmth. Please let us know how she is recovering.

Maybe you can explain why the vet? gave your your bun back to you in an unconscious state?
I hope that she got injectable pain meds during the procedure and also a sufficient amount of a strong oral pain med for after she is awake.

I would guess that your inital description is that she is coming out of the anesthesia
Like Claire has stated be sure that she is kept warm enough
Keep us updated

I had to take Zeke home while he was still waking up from surgery last year. He ripped out some of his stitches as I was on my way to pick him up. So they put him back under and redid his stitches. But since the clinic was closing for the evening, I took him home while he was still waking up.

I had to provide heat for him. I used dry rice in a sock and some fleece blankets.

Also, as he started gaining his muscle control back he decided that he didn't want to lie on his side any more. So I had to prop him upright so he would stop flopping around trying to get up on his own.

It took about an hour for him to return to normal, well as normal as an animal can be immediately after a major surgery.

How is your girl doing?

--Dawn

Firstly, thank you for your replies :)

It's the morning after now and Sonic has moved herself to the Yellow Pages (we put it in her cage so she could dig and destroy it, but she likes to see it as her own little bed).

When we got Sonic back from the vets she was conscious but a bit drowsy, she's been in and out of sleep since.
She has had a little drink but hasn't eaten yet.
I think the worst is over, seeing her shake last night - like a hummingbird's wing - really scared me. The shaking didn't happed with our other rabbit Puddles (she's a bit podgier and has a good fur coat on her has Puddles).

I will try the microwaved rice thing and keep you up to date.

Again, thank you all so much for responding :)

*Update*

Sonic is eating a bit of hay now, only a little mind, and she eats her poos too. Phew.

It's been more-or-less 24h since the operation and let me tell you, I have a few more grey hairs than I did yesterday :?.

Thanks for your support, I wonder if it would be worth compiling a rough guide as what to expect after the neutering operation for nearly-newbies like myself (Puddles' op was a breeze - she slept for a day and a half then started eating everything in sight). Just thinking aloud.

Anyway, Sonic is slowly becoming more awake by the hour, I've been sat by her cage all morning but now am going to leave her alone to do her own thing and will check on her every 30m or so.
She didn't like the rice-in-a-sock unfortunately and would hobble away from it (and yes, it was clean).

Does anyone know where I can buy some Just For Men? :p

I'll update you tomorrow, thanks for reading

Pat and Sonic. x

Whew! I'm glad she's eating and pooing. Has she made any fecal pellets yet, or just cecals? Do you have oral pain meds to give her?

Continued good vibes being sent~~

*Final Update*

Hi guys, thanks for your support.
Little Sonic is now drinking water and eating hay and she seems 90% recovered. Her occassional hobble means she can only manage speeds of about 100mph as opposed to her usual 200mph, but I'm sure she'll be 100% by the end of next week.
She's started pooing a lot (I mean A LOT) as is usual with her and it seems she's well on the road to recovery.
It was just the one night that scared me so much with her shivering and shaking, but she's a strong one I guess.
Unlike Puddles whom we got from the pet shop, Sonic was a rescue bunny - the husband of the gf's co-worker found her "in work" (I'm on it, I'd love to know where she was found too) and she was apparently just roaming around - knowing her looking for those yummy Crunchy Carrot Sticks.

Once again, thanks so much for caring, if there's anything we can do to help, let us know. I'll post a pic of Sonic up here soon to close this post as way of a thank you.

Pat and Sonic x

A spay is way more invasive than a neuter and usually it will take a a rabbit longer to recover. I'm glad that she;s better

and

the more rabbits you have the greyer your hair will get LOL

Maureen

Latest posts

Back