Just making sure...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jynxie

Reaction score
Harley is a purebred, and I know who his parents are but he was never tattooed.

Does this mean he isn't showable at all without it?

Thanks.

You can't actually show him in an ARBA sanctioned show doesn't mean he's not show quality. Ear #'s are essential in shows.

I don't know how it works in Canada though

Just get someone to tattoo him - its not a big deal. Oftentimes there are people at shows who will do a tattoo for under $5.

They do need a tattoo in the left ear to be shown. This is so that the show people (judges and others) can know which rabbit is which. With 10+ rabbits of the same breed, colour and sex, you need a way to tell them apart.

Most breeders should be able to tattoo for you. Many shows also have people there to do tattoos for a couple dollars each. There are 2 types of tattooing equipment, clamps and pens. A clamp has letter and number blocks and are uses to pierce holes in the ear in the patten and ink is then rubbed into it. A pen is like what is used for humans and it like writing it in. Ask what is used before you do it if you have a preference.

You may want to ask his breeder if there is a specific number that she would use for him. If he has a pedigree, you will need to the same number on that and in his ear. If the breeder doesn't really care or there is no ear number in the pedigree, then you can do what you want for the tattoo. It does need to be unique to him to the point where there aren't going to be other rabbits with the same tattoo, some people do names for individual pets.

Shows in Canada are mostly governed by ARBA and follow those rules. Exceptions would be local fairs which can have their own rules about tattoos.

I don't have a pedigree, but I will email the breeder incase she has one and just never gave me one for the number.

All I got was a little orange card that said who his parents were and what colour he is. :p

I didn't know I could just have anyone tattoo him, how do they know he's purebred without a pedigree? I assumed it had to be from the breeder.

I thought it was going to be impossible to show him. :p Neat. Thanks for the replies.

Is there a reason you didn't get a pedigree? Things are so much easier with them. On the other hand we give out birth papers if the rabbit is pet qaulity, not saying your is or anything. No you can show a rabbit but if you don't have a pedigree on him you can either have another breeder take alook at him or have an arba licensed register person look at him for a fee. You don't actually need to pedigree unless you register the bun after gaining some legs in order to get their champion title or papers. They need proof of three generations back. Anyway yeah if there's no DQ's go for it.

If Harley is the rabbit in your avatar, he's not showable anyhow because of his color (Japanese Harlequin). It is only showable as a broken (tri).

I was told by my breeder that his colour (Japanese Harlequin) is showable but only in Canada. Which works for me, since I was only interested in doing it if there were shows close by. :p

There wasn't a reason I didn't get a pedigree, just my breeder didn't offer to give me one. I asked if he was showable, and she said yes. I'm not sure if I would be able to get her to write me one now, and fax it or something. I'll have to check for any DQ that I am missing.

Also his parents were purebred, so he's full holland lop... I think he's just fluffy since he's a baby and is molting. haha.

She might not have given me them if he's pet quality too, I never really thought of that.

This is a possibility for sure, the only thing I am going by is that she said he was showable in Canada. So I assumed he was show quality. :p

I don't know. I'm confused because when I buy a rabbit from a breeder and they say it's show qaulity a pedigree comes with it. If not then it's pet. You can still show. Your best bet is to bring your bun to ashow and have it looked at.

Jynxie wrote:
I was told by my breeder that his colour (Japanese Harlequin) is showable but only in Canada. Which works for me, since I was only interested in doing it if there were shows close by. :p

Not at ARBA shows (which includes Canada). I've judged in Canada, and the ARBA Standard of Perfection applies there. ;)Japanese Harli is not a showable variety in ANY breed except the Harlequin breed.

If the breeder was referring to 4-H shows - shame on them. I only sell ARBA showable stock to 4-Hers.

Really? I'm kinda upset she told me that harlequin colour was perfectly fine in Canada... ): It was just the US that there was a problem with the colour.

Also what does 4-H shows mean?

I guess his colour is why she never bothered with a pedigree. -grumble-

I still think he's the cutest holland lop in the world, oh well.

Jynxie wrote:
Also what does 4-H shows mean?
4-H shows are shows that 4-H kids participate in. From what I understand, it is more about the presentation of the rabbit than how well the rabbit conforms to the standard. This is for showmanship though. If the club has enough rabbits to do a show (like an ARBA show), then it would be similar but with educating the kids the priority over winning.
4-H in Canada is a bit different than in the states and even varies from province to province. I believe the maximum age to do 4-H is 20 and that is based on your age at the start of the new calendar year. Even then you need to find a club that does a rabbit project and be picky as some are meat rabbit or focus on breeding which might not be best if you don't want to do those. The Canadian Rabbit Hopping Club actually got started as a 4-H project as the girls didn't want to do the meat or breeding projects and wanted something fun to do.

I also judge many 4-H shows. They do have breed shows as well as showmanship. Many (but not all) of the 4-H shows follow the ARBA Standard (except for actually disqualifying animals).

Hmm. ):

I'm not sure what I am going to do.
I'll probably just enjoy him being a pet since his colour isn't allowed.

I'm really just disapointed in my breeder telling me the colour was okay in Canada... I still would have picked him either way, and that is what matters.

I just feel like I was lied too.

Latest posts

Back