Just joined....and question about ear wound

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toffee and Valentina

Reaction score
Hi. I'm new here. I have two buns, Toffee is my male and Valentina is my female. I think they are 4 or 5 years old (rescued, so just a guess). My female had her back leg amputated before I got her. She's feisty. Male is more subdued. He somehow cut his ear. Looks like a tiny human bite (which I don't have). Advice on how to prevent infection?

Thank you.

Welcome to the forum! Are your rabbits housed together? Can you send a picture of the bite? You can put antibiotic ointment (without added pain relief) on the bite to prevent infection.

Thank you! The buns are together, free run in my apartment. If I put an antibiotic ointment on it, I'm afraid the female will luck it off. I'm trying to attach a pic but I guess the file is too large. I'm not particularly computer savvy. 🤔

Do you think she bit his ear?
@JBun, do you know any ointments that prevent infection and are safe for a rabbit to lick?

She may have but it would be a first.
Any experience with something natural like oregano oil or vitamin e oil to aid healing?

Hi, would be nice to see it but anyways you can make some herbal tea depending what you have at home and make a compress for a few minutes a few times a day, depending how bad it is, maybe two times would be enough.
Sage, yarrow, thyme are known as strong antiseptics, even if you have black or green tea it would work as disinfectant as well, I can't guarantee if you use tea bags as I only use loose teas, I don't know what they add to tea bags possibly so just don't know.
Also you can use saline (salt water) also very good for wounds and safe to use.
I wouldn't use oils and think there's no need in antibiotics at all.
Normally wounds heal really quickly without any cure, especially if your rabbits live in a clean environment, but if you will feel better you can rinse with herbal/black tea or saline or make a compress if you think there's abscess.

How to make saline solution
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/323842#instructions

Last edited:
Hi, would be nice to see it but anyways you can make some herbal tea depending what you have at home and make a compress for a few minutes a few times a day, depending how bad it is, maybe two times would be enough.
Sage, yarrow, thyme are known as strong antiseptics, even if you have black or green tea it would work as disinfectant as well, I can't guarantee if you use tea bags as I only use loose teas, I don't know what they add to tea bags possibly so just don't know.
Also you can use saline (salt water) also very good for wounds and safe to use.
I wouldn't use oils and think there's no need in antibiotics at all.
Normally wounds heal really quickly without any cure, especially if your rabbits live in a clean environment, but if you will feel better you can rinse with herbal/black tea or saline or make a compress if you think there's abscess.

How to make saline solution
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/323842#instructions
Thank you Zuppa. I appreciate your advice. Today the cut looks like it has scabbed over. I used saline as was suggested. Hoping it's on the mend.

Back