Just got back from taking all my buns to the vet...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evey

Reaction score
Hello!

I took all 4 of my bunnies to the vet today since I purchased a baby lionhead a couple of days ago. I had to get her (him?) because she was all alone in a tank with a 50% off sign...upon further investigation, the family that originally purchased her brought her back because they thought she had sight problems and simply didn't want her anymore.

So, the vet says that her sight is just fine! However, she seems to have a touch of a respiratory problem and will be on Baytril for about a week. This is most likely from the stress of a move.

I thought I might as well take them all in since Mr. Evey needed his teeth trimmed (and the vet actually said they look fantastic and didn't need it!)and Duchess had to come along by default, lol. I brought Leo just for a check up (he's been also leaving a tad more cecals than I'd like to see...). "Lana," what I'm calling the potential female lionhead for now, needed a P.E. "Lana" in Spanish means "wool" or "wooly" so I thought it was very fitting :)

Needless to say, I'm pretty happy because I thought Lana had something serious, but she seems to be doing very well (and so is everyone else)! Also, the vet saw 4 rabbits, gave me a bunch of extra Baytril (just in case), and the bill was literally only $25!!!! :D

Lana is only 1 lb...and here are some pictures!!

Lana4.jpg

Her eyes really aren't red...they are light brown!
Lana5.jpg

Lana.jpg

She is a total sweetheart...just like the rest of my bunnies! The vet was actually playing with them for quite some time...hahaha
Lana6.jpg

haha, she is the only bun of mine that actually plays with her toys!

So, I guess only time will tell if Lana should be called Mr. Lana...LOL...I REALLY hope she's a girl for Leo! Either way, I will still try to bond them :)

-Kathy

OMG Mine all play with their toys! Have you tried to play with them? hand them the toy?

Lana is ADORABLE! look at her pretty fur on her back! she looks very healthy!

What a cutie! Did you take them to Companion in Linden? I've taken Basil there with a sore foot and they were great and so reasonable. $25 for 4 rabbits is great.

$25 for 4 rabbits AND extra Baytril?! My vet charges $40 to see one animal ($25 for the next), and 14 days of Baytril is $25 alone.

I wish I had your vet!

Anyway, your new sweetie is absolutely adorable :biggrin2:.

Bo B Bunny wrote:
OMG Mine all play with their toys! Have you tried to play with them? hand them the toy?

Lana is ADORABLE! look at her pretty fur on her back! she looks very healthy!

LOL, yeah I have tried to play with them and encourage them to use their toys,but I always get sassy looks from them like I'm a crazy lady!

Thank you! :)

undergunfire wrote:
$25 for 4 rabbits AND extra Baytril?! My vet charges $40 to see one animal ($25 for the next), and 14 days of Baytril is $25 alone.

I wish I had your vet!

Anyway, your new sweetie is absolutely adorable :biggrin2:.
kirst3buns wrote:
What a cutie! Did you take them to Companion in Linden? I've taken Basil there with a sore foot and they were great and so reasonable. $25 for 4 rabbits is great.

Yes, I did go to Companion! I was expecting a huge vet bill, lol

Amy, thank you! Yeah, he gave me three weeks' worth of Baytril just in case for only $9!

mouse_chalk wrote:
Awwww, she is so lovely! How can anyone not want her?

I love her little white nose! :)
Thanks! I know...she's so cute :DI'll try to take better pictures of her tomorrow. I have been just wanting her to rest and get settled (and well)!

Aww shes so pretty. Im glad her vision turned out to be ok. The people probably just got bored with her after a few days and needed an excuse to return her. :(

Which vet did you see? Maybe these guys will actually be motivated to learn more about bunnies with all of us going in there lately. They even gave Kirsten Metacam last time she was in, which was a shock to me. :)

She looks very healthy though!

He/she is beautiful. :p

Have you tried laying Lana on his/her back and possibly feeling for testicals? I've noticed when they're younger (10 or soweeks) it looks just like extra skin once you move the fur and nothing else is really there.

Females tend to have more of a "V" shape in that area. Least my girls do! :)

I hope that helps..

Haley wrote:
Aww shes so pretty. Im glad her vision turned out to be ok. The people probably just got bored with her after a few days and needed an excuse to return her. :(

Which vet did you see? Maybe these guys will actually be motivated to learn more about bunnies with all of us going in there lately. They even gave Kirsten Metacam last time she was in, which was a shock to me. :)

She looks very healthy though!

Thank you! I saw Dr. Osman, and he seemed excited as he was telling Glynn and me about lionheads that he's seen lately, lol.

I hope he tries to learn more about them; I felt like I was being a bit of a know-it-all at times, though! I taught the vet tech what cecals were after she explained to me that "it's great if they do like 50 a day...it's when they don't that it's bad..." I had to explain to her the difference between cecals and normal poops, LOL. Then I told Dr. Osman that yogurt isn't the best for rabbits as he said to use that for Leo...

I'm so glad that I do research and learn from awesome people here on the forum so thatI can respectfully help them expand their knowledge of rabbits!

DorkyTTx wrote:
He/she is beautiful. :p

Have you tried laying Lana on his/her back and possibly feeling for testicals? I've noticed when they're younger (10 or soweeks) it looks just like extra skin once you move the fur and nothing else is really there.

Females tend to have more of a "V" shape in that area. Least my girls do! :)

I hope that helps..
Thanks! I tried that, but honestly can't feel anything. I even tried comparing what my other girl looks like down there to Lana...I either really suck at it or just have to wait a little while to see what happens! ;)

Thanks! I tried that, but honestly can't feel anything. I even tried comparing what my other girl looks like down there to Lana...I either really suck at it or just have to wait a little while to see what happens! ;)
I feel the same way. I was in Pet Supplies Plus not too long ago and tried to figure out the gender of one of those teeny lionheads and I couldn't feel a thing. It is so hard when they are so young!

to learn how to sex your rabbit go to http://www.islandgems.net/sexing.html

Basically turn the bun over. Press down in front of his genitilia so they pop up.. If it looks like a flag pole with a donut on top it is a buck(male) if it is a taco it is a doe(female) good luck

Lana is so cuuuute! I love her coloring! She's gray, right? Also, I'm glad your vet bill was so low! My vet charges $75 just to SEE the a bunny (or rat or cockatiel) and extra tests and meds cost more on top of that. The Metacam after my rat was neutered cost almost $40 and I only had to give it to him twice!

Also, my vet explained to me that to sex baby bunnies, hold them on their back and push down right above the genitals. A little vagina/penis will pop up. They look pretty much the same as babies so just because it's sticking out doesn't mean it's a boy. She said the bunny is a girl if the thing sticking out has a small slit opening and a boy if it has a dot opening. Tallulah was only 8 weeks old when she was sexed and the vet was pretty sure she's a girl (as was her breeder, who sexed her the same way). The vet also said even when they're that tiny people with experience may be able to feel little testicles under the skin but I wouldn't imagine either of us has the experience to do that!

Congrats again on your baby bun and that everyone is pretty healthy! I hope Lana's respiratory troubles go away.

Latest posts

Back