Just got a new bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvinmycowboy

Reaction score
My husband and I decided to bring home a bunny. He or she I haven't looked yet has a room to themselves my husband is bringing home the cage tonight from work.
I left him to explore the room alone. I put a few boxes in there as well as the one he was in and put hay in the one box for him.

I sat in there for awhile with him but then the cats demanded I feed them.
He's been hopping around and exploring he seems clam and happy but what are some ways to help us bond?

thanks

Pet him and remember its all new to him it could take as little as 1-2 days of a few weeks. Just don't make fast movements or loud noise talk to him softly and give him fresh veggies carrots,bananas(my bunn loves them),and apples(only give him veggies if he is over 7 months old).Hope he is happy in his new home!
~Nicky~
P.S Welcome to RO:D

It is good to let him get comfortable with his space first, before you try to get him to bond with you. It can take a long time, but be quiet, calm, and just spend time with it in the room, and he/she should warm up to you. We have a library article on "bonding with your bunny" that is good too.

Welcome!

Congrats on the furry new member of your family! :)

I find that just sitting or laying around on the floor where your rabbit hops around. I lay on the floor with a magazine or book and just read. For whatever reason, rabbits find this fascinating, and can't help but investigate. Just let them sniff you, hop-up on you, investigate the reading material, etc. After awhile, hold on to some treats and allow your bunny to eat out of your hands. Make sure you hold onto the food, so that your bunny is forced to eat the treat near you.

I've had good luck with it. :) I hope you do too!

Be sure to keep the play sessions on carpet short until he/she is fully litterbox trained or lay down some old towels on the carpet where you'll be bonding with him outside the cage, otherwise you may get some wee accidents and once they wee in one place, they'll want to wee there again unless it is very well cleaned and de-scented with white vinegar and/or no-toxic natural cleaner. It can take a little while to get them fully litterbox trained. Be sure and put any poos or wee soaked tissues into their litterbox with some pelleted litter to help them habitize where to go in their cage. They are very habitual creatures especially with bathroom habits.

Treats quickly helped my shy bun come around. Now whenever she hears my voice she perks up and hops out of her house to greet me. Sure she wants her treats first but she loves pets while she's munching. Congrats on the new bun. People here are a huge help :)

Hi congrats!
Yeah to be honest your bun is probably not used to being held or petted at all, if they are new. I would just try sitting in the room and reading or doing something quiet, and let him come to you. Let him sniff your hands etc. and then eventually he will become used to you and you begin to show him affection by stroking etc. Make sure he gets used to your voice too, because soon when he hears your voice he will start following you etc. (atleast thats the case with me). All buns are different so just see what works for your bun.
Just do everything slowly- trust establishment can take a long time, but once you get it it's just so so worth it. :)

Back