just got a baby lionhead, other bunny is not happy

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mandyjeank

Reaction score
I have two bonded rabbits that get along very well, and now with the new baby Daisy is staring to mark all over by his cage. Bernard and Daisy are the bonded pair and Snarf is the new lionhead he is only 6 weeks. Daisy and Bernard have their cage and their play pen in the dinning room, and his cage is on the other side of the living room. Daisy and Bernard are both altered. I hope that Daisy and Bernard will accept him. I dont know if in the future that I will try to completely bond them or not. It is just really hard to keep up with the cleaning when Daisy!! LOL. But if I do try to bond them after Snarf is altered, how do I bond three rabbits together. Do I do it one at a time or all three together, or should I not even attempt it? I want to do what is best for my babies.

I Think if you can start the bonding now if you want. I would do it all 3 together in a neutral area. My pairs don't have problems being separated from each other. So it's possible you can start now and when it's time to get the little one fix you can take him in and they might except him right away or you'll have to try the bonding over.

I think you are right to wait until after Snarf is recovered from his neuter, that is far less risky.

I have three trios and each one has been slightly different. So therefore I would say let the rabbits lead and follow what they do.

I would suggest starting off with trying them as a trio at first, and doing it that way, but if you get problems, then look at what is causing the problem and see if there is a way to adapt the bonding to cater for that problem.

Not all trios work, it depends on the dynamics of the three bunnies and also their personalities, they can also take a long time. I had a trio that was complete within 48 hours, but another that took 4 months to work.

One thing to bear in mind when adding a thrid to an established pair is that you risk upsetting the pairs applecart and you might find one bun chooses the newer bun over the established pair, and so you might end up with a pair and a single, but the single may be one of the buns from the original pair. It is always a risk.

Good luck though. I find my trios are more successful and longer term than my pairs, to be honest, but I have been very lucky with them.

Latest posts

Back