Just doesnt feel right

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RexLovables

Reaction score
I made the call to get the female mini rex mommy that i was supposed to be getting Saturday but it just doesn't feel right. I don't know why, cant explain it. But i am not going to be getting her as much as i wanted to. The ones i have now are lots of work and i think i am going to stick to what i have FOR NOW.

I do want another pet though, what would be a good pet that is not as much work as a bunny but is still cute and friendly and that is a good pet?

I did a lot of research on small animals before getting a rabbit. I was set on rats for a really long time. Don't just immediately say they are gross, because really they just freak some people out. They are (in my opinion) as clean, if not cleaner than rabbits. Also, they are more easily social with people and way less skittish. Plus they like to be held... They are still work, but their cage can be smaller than rabbits. Other than that they are quite similar with stuff like bedding, fresh water, food daily (different food though). They need to come out of their cage daily and MUST MUST MUST be kept in pairs at least. They are extremely social and cant be kept alone.

I dont have rats now, but I did in the past. I did, however, hear that sometimes rabbits are afraid of them and rats and rabbits do NOT get along free together, so dont try it.

Right now I just have the one rabbit and a Russian Tortoise. If you might be into reptiles check them out, I really love my Delilah. :]

I think you were enjoying the conversation about hamsters in the side bar chat, weren't you? I've had hamsters, and always thought they were such sweeties. Gerbils are similarly cool... love watching them take dustbaths :D
Both live 2-3 years.

What about a guinea pig? I had them a long time ago but i have forgotten about how much care and so forth they need..anyone want to comment on this?

I have two Guinea Pigs and will admit they are a lot of work, when caring for them properly that is. Their diet is just as complicated as a Rabbit's. High quality pellet with Vit C added, hay available at all times, and veggies every night. It's recommended to weigh them weekly. My two males cage is 10.5 sq feet, measuring 56" long x 27" wide. It's a lot of space, but the recommended size, and they use every inch of it. They are herd animals and absolutely should not be housed alone. Nails need to be trimmed like rabbit's and ears need to be cleaned. They are prey animals by nature and very spooky. Often times running when you go to pick them up. Once you have them out, most are content to sit on your lap and hang out.

Did I mention they poop a lot? :D

They can live as a long as 9 years, but the average is 5 to 7. So it's another long time commitment.

I heard great things about rats, and I considered about getting a rat before I got my bunny. I tried pretty hard to convince myself that rats are pretty cute and clean, but it didn't exactly work for me.
I have a pair of sugar gliders, and they are fun to watch. They are so much smaller than rabbits, so it's hard to say they are cuddly.

I needed a pet that I can give hugs and kisses, so I got myself the cuttest bunny! :)

I just had to say....I love the squeaks the g piggies make! Never owned any though...mice were cool...but man they smell things up fast, breed fast etc...

My two guinea pigs are harder work than my 4 inside rabbits every thought about being. They poop LOADS, they rarely are litter box trained since they poop where ever they go. They chew much more than my rabbits ever thought about chewing, anything and everything that comes new the cage. Try as I might to secure the fleece they find ways to move it so they can pee off of it and chew the floor. Their fleece is washed every 7 days but I swear I could wash it 3 times a week and I could still smell them. My nose is immune to rabbit smell since I have always had one inside since early 2004. I can just walk towards my door and smell them, their oder is worse than my cats, but again, I may be immune to cat smell to an extint, too.

Guinea pigs, or the ones I have had over the years, have no been very cuddley. My boys come up to me for treats but unless they want something you have to chase them down in the cage.

They require much more room compared to a rabbit. My boy's have a 2 x 4 grid NIC, as far as I know you can not find a petstore cage that big. My cage is the minimum for two biggies but they do not use the two grid long part at my bed, if I did not put their hay and water there they would never leave the other part.

Hamsters aren't a lot of work, but they're not very sociable. I pet-sat a Syrian and all it wanted to do during the day was sleep and during the nigh, run on her wheel. She did like to run around the living room in her ball at night too, but didn't like to be held.

Same goes for my Petunia (Russian dwarf hammie). She does not like to be held and will bite your hands if they're in her cage. It's probably my fault--I'm always waking her up to give her treats (scraps of veggies, bread, meat etc), so whenever something intrudes on her space she must think it's a treat. She will climb all over me, but I don't know if she likes it, and she doesn't like to be pet. She's hillarious and adorable, and very easy to take care of, but definitely not friendly.

None of the other dwarf hammies I've had were very friendly either, and they had some health issues. One got rushed to the Emergency Vet barely breathing and died there, of unknown (probably congenital) issues, and the other just died one day.

There's a lot of inbreeding in hamsters so many don't live very long--if you do get one that makes it to 6 mo, I'd say, they will live a long time because it seems they're either very hardy or very fragile, which can be really emotionally trying. It can make you feel like you're a bad pet owner even though it's not your fault. There's also not a lot that can be done for them vet-wise.

If you do get a hammie, I'd recommend an agouti-colored one (wild color) because they're more likely to have greater genetic variability in their background (pretty colors are recessive, and thus can go along with recessive bad traits like health issues) and thus have "hybrid vigor".

The GPs I've known at the shelter were all very skittish, not to mention smelly, and not very easy to litter train. They routinely peed outside of their box meaning their towel had to be changed daily.

I have 3 guinea pigs and they arent as much of work at the rabbits. I love my guineas and love their noises. I find myslef cleaning after the rabbits more than the guineas. I dont mind all the cleaning i actually enjoy it helps with stress. Lol when stressed i clean works out great for the rabbits. But I would look into a guinea. Ive had hamster but they were never friendly towards me. I was better with Gerbils. I have a friend who has opposums and degus and they are very sweet. hope i help!

I have two guinea pigs and find them to be just as much work, if not more then my rabbits. They need about the same cage space as a rabbit would, also they eat alot and can be quite expensive to feed because they do need a very varied diet, so lot's of hay and veggies along with their normal food. They also are quite messy, I have to clean mine at least twice a week and do spot cleans everyday because unlike rabbits they do poop in their hidey houses and in their food bowls.

I've had them most of my life and never found a pig who always went in one corner, so I've never attempted to try and litter train them. They are also very vocal, which can be cute but annoying at the same time though lol! The cool thing is they will let you know when they are hungry. Mine come up to the bars and squeak at me when they don't have food and if I crinkle a bag or anything they start squeaking cause they think something nice is coming.

Really, I would wait until your rabbits are adults before you get a pet like guinea pigs. Since your rabbits are only babies, they are cute and easy to look after but it get's alot harder during adolesence and is quite hard when they are adults.

Hi, I have the two bunnies, one dog, two cats, one budgie, two cockatiels and a cockatoo. I find that out of all my pets the cats are the least work, but I am not really a cat person. I had guinea pigs and they were a lot of work plus they were not social with me at all but I know some people have very social guinea pigs. I love dogs and I do not find my to be a lot of work, I love going for walks with him. I also love the birds, not so much the budgie since I find his constant chirping irritating and he is not tame. But I absolutely love my cockatiels, but they are a lot of work (my one cockatiel has been with me for 16 years now). My cockatoo is fun too but I would not recommend them as pets, they can be very difficult and demanding, I think there are other parrots that make better pets but they are all a lot of work but lots of fun.

I have always wanted a canary myself...but am so sick of picking up after birdies....I gave all my bird stuff away to defeat the craving of random buying...and man I had NICE cages....

Strawberry and Zebra Finches....English and Regular parakeets,...a couple of cockateils...and I never wanted a cockatoo...man they are yellers!
I always wanted an African Grey Timney...I think thats how its spelled....man they are cool...but I always said not till I owned my house again and that was forever ago...sigh

id say ratties are super easy!!
i loved mine, they were very intelligant
or if you want a more cuddly animal then a cat....honestly my cat is SOOO easy compared to my rabbits and she sleeps by my head ((while the dog sleeps at my feet and rabbit sometimes against my side -.- ))
but thier not hard to pick up after and what not either

I have two parrots (a quaker parrot and a sun conure) please think LONG and hard before getting a bird. I love my birds but they were rescues. They are another animal that is misunderstood and people don't care for them the way they should be treated. They need 4 hours of out of cage/attention a day..clean cage/food/water everyday, new toys weekly, and they are LOUD!!!

I don't agree about hammies not being social.
All the ones I've ever owned love playing and spending time with me. You just gotta put the effort in to get to know them, like with any other pet.
They are nocturnal though, so I play with mine in the evening.
And she begs to come out of her cage with huge hammie eyes.
: D

I highly recommend hamsters. Especially Syrians.
They are low maintenance loving little pets. And provide hours of entertainment for me.

Just know that you can't keep Syrians in pairs, as they are territorial and may kill each other.

Perhaps dwarves are less sociable. The Syrian I pet sat wasn't my own so it probably didn't trust me very much.

I love syrians! I've had *counts on fingers* four syrians and all but one were friendly, but I think the first one I got wasn't friendly just because it hadn't been handled regulary. They have to be handle regularly from a young age, and I was like 7 so I ended up being scared of him. I had one dwarf and he was not social at all, he used to grunt at me lol! I also pet sat 2 dwarves and one was ok with being handled but the other used to squeak really loudly at you if you disturbed him to clean out his hidey house.

My friend has two dwarves too and they are fine with being handled, expect one likes to lick your fingers and sometimes nibbles on them a bit too hard. Dwarves can be ok if they are handled regularly, they have to be handled alot more then syrians.

Dwarves aren't for me, but I love syrians, would love to have one again someday :)

... mind you, when you start the hard work of bonding your 4 bunnies it will take a heck of a lot of time.

Puberty, bonding everybun together, litterhabits/territory issues resolved, etc. and for 4! Makes me tired just thinking about it :shock:

I don't think someone could pay me enough to take on another creature at that point.:biggrin2:

Back