Just doesnt feel right

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
luvthempigs wrote:
Wow, You make it sound like keeping guinea pigs is so hard and not worth it. Yes, They are messy and yes they are as much work as a rabbit. But, They are definately worth it.

As far as fish go, I have several tanks and don't find it difficult in the least. I have had some of my fish for many years. Yes, I have lost some and most if not all have been due to my fault. You definately have to read up and learn how to keep them. And not be afraid of a little work doing water changes, etc.

If you don't want a pet that takes much time then maybe a stuffed animal would be more appropriate?

I dont think it has anything to do with them not being worth it, but she does not want another rabbit due to the work involved. I have had pigs and buns and pigs are not any easier to take care of, if done properly.

I think the point is a bun vs a pig is not amounting to less work. IMHO, This is what some members are trying to say.

I see, I guess I wasn't looking at it that way ;)You are right though, If you don't want to or can't care for another rabbit you definately don't need to bring any piggies into your home.

I am writing this partly as a moderator - and partly as a member. Please understand that not all of what I'm saying applies to this thread - but is background for other stuff I'm saying.

Many times on this forum we see people making choices that we might feel are bad choices...perhaps taking on a bunny that is too young...or adding extra rabbits when it might not be the best choice - for example - I often see people get tired of the "newness" of their rabbit so they want to trade for another rabbit - or add another one for the "new" feeling and attention. Over the years I've been here I've seen all sorts of situations and many times I've walked away crying because I knew that this particular rabbit or other animal would suddenly "die" or be traded away within a matter of weeks.

But for whatever reason - people will do things we don't agree with no matter what we say - and many of us get frustrated and want to do this...
:banghead

There are actually times when as a moderator - I feel like doing this...

:crash

But what it boils down to - as hard as it may be to deal with - is that each person's decision is their own and once they make that choice - all we can do is either stand by and support them - or if they frustrate us enough - use the "ignore" feature so that we don't have to read about their choices.

We can talk/type until we're blue in the face - but once a decision has been made and acted on - there isn't much more we can do. Its like closing the barn after the horse has gotten away...the deed is done.

Like many others - I too am worried about that guinea pig because it does look too young - but all we can do now is stand by and support the situation and hope all goes well.

Just my .02 ~ feel free to return the change.

Thanks guys for all the comments but i decided to get 2 female guinea pigs. They are easier than rabbits, i have asked breeds,friends,my mom, and pet store owners and they ALL said they are WAY less work than a bunny. I did get 2 today but the cage one of them cage in was TONY so they will have to stay in it until this week when i buy them a HUGE new cage. Anyways, oh and to whoever said something about the pic and the guinea pig being 2 weeks old, that pic was taken the day it was born FYI. I didn't end up getting that one anyways cause it turned out to be a boy. Those who are interested in seeing pics and info on ym new babies, please look for the thread that will be up in a few.

RexLovables wrote:
Thanks guys for all the comments but i decided to get 2 female guinea pigs. They are easier than rabbits.
I stand by my opinion that they are not, I learned that through my own research and spending lots of time on two of the most active and well known Guinea Pig Forum's. Am I saying your opinion is wrong? Nope. Just that I respectively disagree. The reason I'm posting this is because I don't want other people stumbling across this thread and thinking Guinea Pigs are "way less work than a rabbit". I simply feel it to be untrue and would hate for someone to learn the hard way. I find all animals to be high maintenance in their own unique way, they are all living feeling creatures totally dependent on us.

What size and brand is this new cage you will be buying?
I hope you checked out the two links that were provided for you? It's very important information.

RexLovables wrote:
What about a guinea pig? I had them a long time ago but i have forgotten about how much care and so forth they need..anyone want to comment on this?

No guniea pigs! My roommate has one, and it makes sooooo much noise, and whines when it wants anything, especially food, even if it already has some in the cage! She is really cute, but actually hears me turn over in bed (i'm in the room next door) and starts squealing away.

I had degus and they were really sweet. definately not as high maintenance as a bunny, but they loved to be tickled under their chins and would contort so you could do it. They have to be in pairs however, but make the cutest (quiet) noises ever.

I also have bearded dragons, which are probably the most low key pets you can imagine! They just kinda sit there and don't move, which one could interpret as incredibly cuddly, and they and my bunny get along fine.

wallice wrote:
No guniea pigs! My roommate has one, and it makes sooooo much noise, and whines when it wants anything, especially food, even if it already has some in the cage! She is really cute, but actually hears me turn over in bed (i'm in the room next door) and starts squealing away.
Isn't it funny? The sounds that guinea pigs make annoy you but amuse me. I love to hear them wheeking and squeaking. When my herd hears me in the kitchen cutting up veggies they all start making noise. I just love it :)

Ha ha,

I think the noises started out as being cute to me too, but I have a lot of difficulty sleeping because of a back problem, and it seems its always when I've finally fallen into a deep sleep that she will just explode into her squealing/beggin for food noise and it wakes me up. That, and shes kidna dumb and tries to eat all my other pets (she thinks bearded dragon spikes and rabbit whiskers are food). I have heard though from other guinea pig owners that come here that our resident piggy has a particularly loud and shrill squeal compared to theirs, so maybe OTHER guinea pigs sound cute...

She is still kinda adorable though...

I actually found rats to be way better pets than guinea pigs. Not as much work, much easier to tame and handle.

Plus my g-pigs were always the noisiest critters.

To be honest, I would have gone with a Syrian hamster. I have never had any problems with them once they were properly socialized. All of mine were sweet, loving little cuddle bugs that loved to be held, and pampered. My one boy would sleep curled up in my pocket, or on my lap. He was like a little cat!

I'm allergic to guinea pigs, but I know they're alot of work. I don't really know why you thought that two guinea pigs would be less work than one rabbit, but good luck with them.

Latest posts

Back