Just Bunny Neuter

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

memesbunnies

Reaction score
I shopped around and found a vet clinic about and hour away who will neuter Just Bunny for $155. They say that he can go home the same day, what kind of after care does he need in regards to healing. Can he still be allowed to roam around the house or does he need to be caged for a day or two? I am excited to have him altered and to change some of his behaivors due to the testosterone causing him to get into trouble. :big wink:

Wow it amazes me how every vet varies in prices.
Here I get my males done for $85.00 taxes included.

There was no after care for Snickers, I left him in his cage for 2 days and then he was hopping around and acting like his old self again so he's back to being out and running around. He'll let you know when he's ready to come out of his cage.

Remember it can up to 4 weeks for the nasty hormones to leave.

When I had Peaches neutered - I was told to leave him in his little cage (you know the small petstore starter cage) instead of his larger C&C cage. Well he was miserable in there (as I can imagine because it's small, there's no room and he's not "home"). So as I was trying to give him his medication, he ran into his large cage and I couldn’t catch him, so I left him there. He was happier and he got better faster there. I was just scared that he'd hurt himself if he was jumping from level to level in his C&C cage. I read that neuters are easier than spays for healing purposes. He just needs to rest afterwards AND eat & drink

I would keep him confined for at least a couple days. You don't want him running around or jumping up for about a week. If his cage has levels, block them off or make ramps so he doesn't have to jump up. If you feel that he needs to get out of the cage, set up a pen or at least limit the area he has access to.
Make sure you get pain meds. You would not want to go through surgery without any pain management and neither does a rabbit. Rabbits are very good at hiding pain, so he may act mostly normal but can still be in pain. My vet give enough for about 7-10 days, but some vets only do 3-4 for males.
Make sure to feed him normally on the day of surgery and that he has food when you bring him home. Rabbits should not be fasted before or after surgery. Call the vet and make sure that they know this, if the receptionist insists on fasting, ask to speak to the vet. If the vet tells you to fast, don't use the vet.

Latest posts

Back