Just bought a bunny with possible birth defect! Help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashley72

Reaction score
I was at a petstore yesterday and bought a mini rex. When I got her home I noticed her front rigt leg, she didn't use it normally. Upon further examination it seems like a birth defect in th foot. It looks like she doesn't have the joint where the foot can bend (almost lke human ankles). So when she hops around (which she does with no problem), she kind of only uses the foot for balance with the tip of the foot touching the floor. When she's not in motion, she holds the front foot up. She doesn't seem to be in pain, I held her and touched all around the foot she didn't flinch. But the foot is rigid and doesn't bend, just stays straight. I am going to call the petstore this morning, but I don't know if I should take her back, or attempt to keep her.

So, I decided to keep her. I have already created a bond with her and she's very social and loves to be cuddled! I called the store to let them know, and they said it was up to me what I wanted to do. She eats and drinks very well too! The foot doesn't hold her back at all, she is so active! So I'll take things as they come, and make her feel welcome in our homes. :)

Its most likely a case of being over-groomed by the mom. Gruesome, but its pretty common to chew off feet and ears.

They get along fine.

Returning her would not have been good at all, they may have put her down.

I am concerned that if it wasn't immediately noticeable, the rabbit is pretty young -- pet stores often sell them at four weeks or so instead of the recommended eight weeks. Hopefully she's going to be fine regardless.

I LOVE mini-rexes!

sas :clover: :inlove:

Her foot is not chewed off, it's complete. Just a bit smaller in size, and like the joint in the foot didn't form. So when she places the foot on the ground, it doesn't bend and rest on the cage floor flat. She's a little bit older too, around 8-10 weeks.

Thats sweet.! Good for you! Little Foot is a good name (reminds me of The Land Before Time lol)

When I got my ferret Pandora at 9 weeks of age, I noticed that she was deaf, immediately I started to cry and got upset from the initial shock I did however decide to keep her because its not her fault and so she's fitting in wonderfully... her inner ear MAY still develop but not likely. I do love her so much though :)

I'm sure you'll feel the same about Little Foot !

Thats sweet.! Good for you! Little Foot is a good name (reminds me of The Land Before Time lol)

When I got my ferret Pandora at 9 weeks of age, I noticed that she was deaf, immediately I started to cry and got upset from the initial shock I did however decide to keep her because its not her fault and so she's fitting in wonderfully... her inner ear MAY still develop but not likely. I do love her so much though :)

I'm sure you'll feel the same about Little Foot !

Wishing you all the luck with Little Foot. She sounds like a dream and seems like that little birth defect isn't holding her back.

Yes, second the request for pics. Would love to see your Little Foot.

K :)

bunner2.png

Latest posts

Back