Just been bitten

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jane Stevens

Reaction score
I feel really ashamed but I panicked and now I’m not sure what to do.
We have two rabbits but they don’t live together yet as one hasn’t been spayed, I’m just saving up some money and then I will get it done.
Tonight I was with one and then went straight to the other and didn’t wash my hands in between. They are in totally different rooms.
Anyway, I was giving him some pellets and then he bit me hard and I panicked and pushed him away. He’s fine but he kept coming for me and I kept pushing him away- I wasn’t sure what to do. He’s not hurt and I’ve since stroked him but he was definitely angry with me and tried biting me again but I just put him into his hutch.
Now I feel awful for pushing him away, he’s totally fine and jumped onto and off of the sofa since.
I’m also really scared about how he’ll be tomorrow.
He’s always been so lovely.

Very sorry to hear that.

I am guessing that he smelled the other bunny and bit you to get to her. The same thing happened to me 3 weeks ago, and he almost bit down to the bone-- never thought bunnies can bite that hard. Bunnies can get very desperate to attack or mount another bunny...

Once you neuter him, it should get a lot better.

Thank you for replying. He’s been neutered, it’s the doe that hasn’t been. I’m not sure what to do, they are so intelligent- I don’t want him to hate me.

Don’t be so hard on yourself- rabbit bites can really really hurt and the shock of it is what caused you to react. As you said, he’s absolutely fine, and I’m sure you’ll forgive each other in a few days. Bonded bunnies have fights and then love each other again the next day!!

Don’t be so hard on yourself- rabbit bites can really really hurt and the shock of it is what caused you to react. As you said, he’s absolutely fine, and I’m sure you’ll forgive each other in a few days. Bonded bunnies have fights and then love each other again the next day!!
Thank you. Feel so upset

You don’t have to worry, myself have been bitten many times by all my bunnies for different reasons.

One because he’s greedy for food.

The other one for being scared and defensive.

The last one because she’s the queen, totally worth getting bitten by her. After getting a really nice wound, she started to be more respectful and I have a great bond with her now.

But some bunnies will bite when you smell of another bunny. I’m lucky I don’t have that problem, less lucky of always getting bitten by my bunnies. Remember I was once bitten by a cat when I smelled of another cat, still have the small scars on the arm from the cats fangs. Even though the cat was always nice and cuddly :3

Even though I’ve been bitten by all my bunnies I have owned they have never been scared of me if I reacted the wrong way. Sometimes it’s just a reflex.

Now I react better as long it’s not the doe that bites, she destroyed my shoes when she bit down after stepping between my buck and her.

Myself just reflect why I got bitten, then learn from it. Myself is the only one that have been bitten by my bunnies. I don’t feel upset being the only one getting bitten. Because I know there signals and also their bottom lines before they bite.

I just tell the people ahead of time what they can do and not. No other person have been bitten by my bunnies. I’m the only one [emoji5]

You don’t have to worry, myself have been bitten many times by all my bunnies for different reasons.

One because he’s greedy for food.

The other one for being scared and defensive.

The last one because she’s the queen, totally worth getting bitten by her. After getting a really nice wound, she started to be more respectful and I have a great bond with her now.

But some bunnies will bite when you smell of another bunny. I’m lucky I don’t have that problem, less lucky of always getting bitten by my bunnies. Remember I was once bitten by a cat when I smelled of another cat, still have the small scars on the arm from the cats fangs. Even though the cat was always nice and cuddly :3

Even though I’ve been bitten by all my bunnies I have owned they have never been scared of me if I reacted the wrong way. Sometimes it’s just a reflex.

Now I react better as long it’s not the doe that bites, she destroyed my shoes when she bit down after stepping between my buck and her.

Myself just reflect why I got bitten, then learn from it. Myself is the only one that have been bitten by my bunnies. I don’t feel upset being the only one getting bitten. Because I know there signals and also their bottom lines before they bite.

I just tell the people ahead of time what they can do and not. No other person have been bitten by my bunnies. I’m the only one [emoji5]
Thank you so much for replying, still feel awful but pleased to hear I’m not the only one it’s happened to. He’s been fine today although I’ve been really nervous around him, trying not to be as I’m sure that can’t help.
Thanks again

Latest posts

Back