Jordi's not eating

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jordiwes

Reaction score
She's been having small poos for a couple of days and has been eating on and off. Now she's really off and refusing the papaya treats. We just took her downstairs for some tummy rubs but she just struggled. Now she's bak upstairs.

I'll let you guys know how she progresses.

How is Jordi today? Are her poops still small? Any progress on her eating more?

Oh, poor Jordi~! :?

Glad to hear she's perking up, though. Still....you should probably take her to the vet. You know, just in case. (Since you said her poops were still small).
Hope she gets all the way better soon! :bunny17:
~Best wishes from Butter and Diana

I missed this too! All of our bunnies are having little stasis/gas issues in the past few days. Im glad to hear shes ok.

We seem to be following a pattern of Jordi eating in the morning and then not eating at night. She's refusing her treats again. Time for some more of Daddy's tummy massages!

Edit: still small poops! what's the cause of that?

Is she molting? Pipp does that when she's molting.

She'son a constant see-saw, although she eats at some point duruing the day until her teeth bug her. Just some days a lot more than others.

I pull out the pumpkin and the diluted carrot juice, makes a world of difference.

I really don't know why she hardly drinks on her own when it makes such a difference.

Tummy pats for Jordi!:bunny19

sas :?

Hi there,

One of the reasons my buns stop eating or refusing things hard to chew like papaya treat is that they have molar spurs. This is hard to diagnose without a trip to the vet and putting them under with gas or a very very low dose of general anesthesia. If the tongue is getting irritated, or the gums, they don't want to chew or eat the food.

You need to start getting some fiber and food in her so her stomach doesn't slow down. She may get hungry enough to try to eat, but when it starts to hurt again, she'll stop and give up trying.

Critical Care by Oxbow Hay is the best, and you can get 35cc syringes at www.rabbitstop.com or petleithwerks.com Also - there is a Critter be better formula you can use as well. If you have timothy hay pellets, you can make your own mixture by grinding them into a fine dust using a coffee grinder or food processor. Mix it with water until it's soupy enough to get through a large syringe (You can get a feeding syringe at a pet store - they have them now in the cat/kitten section for sick pets). You can also mix a little pumpkin in for flavor. OR you can crush some fennel (anise) - that stimulates the appetite. Parsley is good for digestion. You can crush up fresh greens into tiny little pieces for Jordi to lap up as well. It takes less chewing.

I also buy bene-bac pet gel (lactobacillius) to keep the good bacteria in the belly. You can get probiotic powder at the pet store or at a health store. That also works with a little mixed in with the food or water.

To continue the good treat taste with the papaya tabs (oxbow?) - crush them with a pill crusher and dissolve them in a little water. She can lap that up and it's sweet and tasty. It's a good way to get more water into her.

Stay away from the juice - you don't need it. The sugar rush isn't good when they are sick. Only use FRESH pineapple juice if a hairball is possible. But the crushed papaya/pineapple tabs from oxbow in water will do the same thing with the enzymes.

When you take Jordi to the vet, and if it is the teeth, make sure you get an antibiotic for at least 7 days. It may not look like an infection is there, but if a molar spur is pressing anywhere for any amount of time, it causes a sore and that can develop after the fact from the irritation. This happened with my Bindi. A sulfa-trimethoprim suspension is easier on the tummy than baytril suspension or injectible baytril (given in smaller doses - have your vet look it up).

If they are in enormous pain, my vet has also given me metacam - that works well, but you only want to use it for a couple of days if you have to. It can upset the tummy.

Try to stay away from motility drugs like metachlorpamide if you can. The force feeding of the timothy mush/critical care is good enough to get the belly going....only if you have a total shut down would that come into play.

One last resort is Nutracal. It's got a lot of sugar, but if it's a Sunday night and you can't get to an emergency center for your bun - this will give them a little boost which will make them feel better because it does have some nutrients that juice doesn't have. It's false energy - but I've only used it in an extreme emergency.

I'd take Jordi to the vet as soon as you can. Sporadic eating - it's a classic sign of teeth issues.

Thanks for the replies, guys.

I hear you on the teeth issue, but she was just at the vet for her annual last weekend, and the vet said that the teeth look great. that and she's a huge hay eater. massive.

I'm thinking something tummy cause she keeps lying down like it's a tummy issue. She is having a huge molt, she just got a dose of revolution and those pesky mites are finally going away.

I thought it might be a food issue, so we threw the rest of the bag of oxbow away. Now I'm thinking maybe veggies?

I'm trying to figure out whether to come to Vancouver or not. Tomorrow will tell.

Thanks so much for the offer, Sas, but they do not travel well. Ie. don't eat for 24 hours once they are moved. But there's noone in thisworld besides you and Dawn that I would trust my bunbuns with more.

It can take awhile to 'right' itself. I'd still go for the pumpkin. Does she eat it willingly?

Glad to hear she's feeling better and eating her treats! :pet:

(We want mommy to visit!)

sas :)

Hope Jordi is on the mend. I've found that Benebac and Oxbow's Critical Care can be a godsend when bunnies are experiencing GI distress - too slow or too fast. Recently, our Pipkin had the opposite of Jordi's condition. Over a week of force feeding CC, Benebac, and water along with a Rx med from the vet got him back in shape. I could not believe that my big eater had to be forced to take in ANYTHING. But with lots of time and effort, we got him back to normal. Still have no idea what caused it.

Hang in there and give Jordi lots of TLC. Our bunny crew will be sending positive thoughts!

Mary Ellen

You guys are the best. Jordi dove into her food this morning, although that seems to be the pattern. I'll be making the trip today, but will be coming back if hubby checks in on her later and there is anything amiss.
Otherwise,I'll see you tomorrow!

Latest posts

Back