Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chibibun

Reaction score
Ive used this tea tree cream, specifically for rabbits, guinia pigs and hamsters on the lable.
My rabbit seems to be having itchy dry skin, at first I could feel out where the dandruff patches were on his body (quite minimal) and applied the cream to the areas. This seems to clear them up however I noticed that he has more flaky looking skin on his ears now so I figured I could use the cream lightly on his ears aswell but I realised that after I applied the cream, he itched them with his paws and licked them - I put a little more hoping he wouldnt scratch and lick again but he did.
I searched around and saw that tea tree oil is actually dangerous when ingested, however this cream labeled for rabbits contains tea tree oil? I was wondering if this was safe to use, especially if he keeps licking it off his ears. I got scared after reading all the articles so I wiped the excess off his ears but he seems to be doing fine. Im also considering taking him to the vet if the flaky skin doesnt go away. Any thoughts on this cream?

As far as I remember, tea tree oil isn't safe for use on rabbits. Even though something may be labeled for use with rabbits, it doesn't necessarily mean it's safe. So no, I wouldn't use it.

But you have a different problem. Dandruffy skin is almost always a sign of fur mites. Which means your rabbit needs the proper treatment of Revolution/Stronghold(selamectin) spot on, or ivermectin(oral, injection, spot on Xeno 450). A knowledgeable rabbit vet can do a skin scrap to confirm.

Medirabbit: fur mites

MediRabbit (selamectin dosing info)

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-...abbit-friendly-vets/rabbit-friendly-vet-list/

As far as I remember, tea tree oil isn't safe for use on rabbits. Even though something may be labeled for use with rabbits, it doesn't necessarily mean it's safe. So no, I wouldn't use it.

But you have a different problem. Dandruffy skin is almost always a sign of fur mites. Which means your rabbit needs the proper treatment of Revolution/Stronghold(selamectin) spot on, or ivermectin(oral, injection, spot on Xeno 450). A knowledgeable rabbit vet can do a skin scrap to confirm.

Medirabbit: fur mites

MediRabbit (selamectin dosing info)

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-...abbit-friendly-vets/rabbit-friendly-vet-list/

I will stop using that cream then to stay on the safe side. Yes, I was wondering if they were fur mites but I wasnt quite sure since he seemed to be comfortable and only had small bits of dandruff however I will get it checked out aswell, thankyou!

Back