job searching

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mygrl2k3

Reaction score
I have been off work since before the end of last year. It's time to start working again.

My top choices is either a pet store. I have applied at allthe above. Not sure how i feel about petland cause of all the dogs theysell. I want to work around animals.

My other job choice is the Ymca. They only do part timemostly and thats what I am looking for.. if I work only a 3 hour day mykids can come to work with me.

I was wondering if anyone has any experince working in a pet store? Theups and downs of it. Or even the Ymca. I am tryingto apply to the jobs I really want, but also trying to apply at jobs soif it comes down to it, I have more options to be following throughwith. Thanks for any advice.

Crisyt

I worked at Meijer (like a super Wal-mart) inthe pet department for four years. I hated it. I didn't like sellingthe small animals to people who shouldn't own them, or who would putthem in small cages. I hated all the sick animals who died in the back.I hated the animals who came back the next day dead because their"exercise ball fell down the stairs." And I hated that we had no timeto care for the animals.

On that note, pet stores need people who care about animals in them toeducate the public, I just couldn't take it anymore. I hope you canteach your customers the proper care for animals, that is the onlything I liked, when I got someone to get the bigger cage or the rightfood that made my day.

Good luck at a pet store :D

I worked for petco the last 3 years before thatI worked for petsmart for about 6 months. I thought it was ok, or itcould of been I was glad to have a job. :D Krissa is right about whatshe mentioned. I found it a little stressful because I was hardlytrained about all the departments. They sell a lot of animals I don'tknow anything about and don't like. I don't know if you're going tohave this problem but me and my co-workers didn't get along and a lotof them didn't even own animals. Just people looking for a job. I justrecently quit petco because I couldn't take it and I didn't get alongwith the new management... maybe that's why I'm listing a bunch ofnegatives... I'm sure there are ups....

Thanks for the advice.. What is good in mysitation is that I don't need the job so I can pay bills.. I just needthe extra income so that way I don't always have to tell my kids nowhen they ask for simple things. So I can be a little pickyabout the job I take at this point.

Cristy

Does your humane society have openpositions? Mine hires people to clean cages andsuch. It can be heartbreaking, but it might be worth it.

I may be a little late in the year, but youcould try at your local park district. Mine offered me a job at thefront desk for $12/hour which is more than you would make at a petstore, so maybe the parks around you could have a similar position.(Unfortunaly the hours conflicted with my laboratory hours :()

Latest posts

Back