Jersey Wooly Info

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhyMista

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone had any experiences with them and how they are especially if you've other breeds. I've had a nethie dwarf and a we don't know medium so compared to them what have your experiences been.

Also anyone have any websites with information specifically about them. The ones I've found just have the generic info that you can find anywhere:bunnydance:

I went to the website that the Rabbit Welfare Fund keeps and was the only one I've seen that list general health problems but the list didn't include very many breeds. Does anyone know of a site that does or maybe I just missed it on their site.

One thing you have to consider with a Jersey Wooley are the grooming requirements. You'll need to groom the coat a couple of time a week to keep up on it. If you don't, you'll get some bad matting. I fostered an American Fuzzy Lop once and groomed him 2-3x per week. It's not bad as long as you maintain it.

slavetoabunny wrote:
One thing you have to consider with a Jersey Wooley are the grooming requirements. You'll need to groom the coat a couple of time a week to keep up on it. If you don't, you'll get some bad matting. I fostered an American Fuzzy Lop once and groomed him 2-3x per week. It's not bad as long as you maintain it.
This depends largely on the rabbit and breed. I have a duo of show Woolies and they require no grooming at all. They were and continue to be bred as a low-maintenance wool breed, and have guard hair that keeps their coat nice and untangled. The only thing most Wooly breeders do as far as grooming is blow out the coats with a blower before a show, which just pronounces the density a bit more.

American Fuzzy Lops are a bit different in their coats than Woolies. I don't think their wool is quite as easy-care as the woolies, I'm not sure if they have the guard hairs. But on a well-bred fuzzy lop, the fur is to be pretty low maintenane other than grooming maybe once a week or so as an adult.

The only problems you'll have with a well-bred wooly or fuzzyis sometimes when they have their baby coat, they'll mat a bit because they don't have the guard hairs in yet.

So if you're getting your rabbit from a reputable breeder, you won't have an issue since they're bred for easy care. Now, if by "Jersey Wooly", you mean a small, wooled rabbit with straight-up ears...that's probably not a Jersey Wooly and is probably just a mixed breed that ended up with wool. This could go either way, it may have the easy-care coat of a wooly, complete with guard hairs. Or it could be some sort of Angora mix, with soft, cottony fluff. If it ends up soft, cottony fluff, it will mat so easily that you won't be able to keep up with it with a brush!I'd suggest learning to clip the rabbit and keeping it clipped. Otherwise, the matting will be tough to keep up on, even with regular grooming. Or, if you choose to, you could actually buya blower and use that on the rabbit daily which also helps. But you have to be very dedicated to daily grooming on a rabbit like that, or it will mat and mats close to the skin are tough to get out!

Hope that helps!:)

The one I'm getting is a year old buck and from the pictures I've seen he doesn't look all that "wooly" and brushing a few times a week isn't a problem anyways I mean its not like it takes 9 hours to brush a rabbit.

Thanks for the extra info.

It's not necessarily the time it takes to brush through the rabbit. It's just that the cottony consistency of wool without guard hairs is just hard to upkeep, they'll get little knots under their legs and at the base of their neck. This usually happens no matter how often you brush, just because their movement makes it happen. Like a little kid with knotted hair!

If he's not really too wooly, like maybe just slightly longer/denser fur, that shouldn't be a problem at all with regular brushing. :) But a true wool coat without guard hairs is a pain, that's when I'd suggest keeping the coat short or learning about blowing them out. If he doesn't have that- not a problem!

Oh ok yea I can imagine if it doesn't have the guard hairs its a pain but from all I've seen most jerseys have a lot of guard hairs and are the easier of the longer hair rabbits to care for as long as you do brush them and its easier once they mature which mine has already done:)

I'm a guy so blowdryer would be out lol:D

I have a jersey wooley and i have to brush mine out at least once a week. And every time a ton of hair comes out! It seems like his butt is the place that gets the most knots in it. Other than that area he doesnt really get tangled. The one that i have is the sweetest rabbit ever. Extremely calm and will let you do almost anything to him. I dont know if the breed in general is like that though or i just lucked out. I think it would be a good choice! good luck :)

From what I've read they are supposed to be a really relaxed and calm rabbit. This will be my 3rd so I'm used to how its sort of a toss up lol.

Lucky for me most of my house is tile so clean up will be easy:D

I brushed my netherland dwarf or at least did a damp hand wipe down per week anyways its bonding time with the bunnuh

OakRidgeRabbits - thank you for the explanation on the difference between American Fuzzy Lops and Jersey Wooleys. My Jersey Woolsey (Billy RIP) wasn't really that hard to keep up on grooming.

I have found the long-haired breeds to be very calm, laid-back rabbits.

Back