Java has an ear infection :(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JavaBean85

Reaction score
Hi everyone!,
I am new here but definitely not new to owning bunnies! I have always have had rabbits as pets growing up but went on a stint without having one because my bunny Coco had to be put to sleep due to mammilary tumors :( I recently got married and and we adopted a cute little baby bunny who we named Java Bean who has just been an absolute joy to me and husband's lives. She is a 9 month old American breed (non-floppy eared). She has been in wonderful health, I got her spayed back in May and she did great with recovery. She lives indoors in a lovely large cage that I keep very very clean and I provide her with lots of hay, pellets, and of course the occasional treat. I do not have any other pets in my home.

Reason I am concerned is Java was showing some signs of either ear mites or an ear infection on Saturday of last week (almost 1 week ago). I promptly took her to the vet on Monday where they stated she does not have mites, but she does have an ear infection which could possibly/ most likely be from water from her water bottle getting into her ear creating a moist environment. Java has been getting Baytril ear drops twice a day since Monday (she was placed on a 10 day course). She seems much improved behavior wise and is running around doing her normal crazy binky routines, being super affectionate and having no issues with eating, drinking, voiding, and stooling. She still has the occasional shaking of the ears because I can tell she is still itchy. Her ears do not have any crusting or redness, but where her ears meet her head, she had scratch marks and lots of redness. She HATES her ear drops and I notice she is scratching more frequently around that time but she is still scratching throughout the day and I am extremely worried about her. I am going to call the vet tomorrow but I wanted to see if anyone else has had the same experience where itching was still present even after being a few days into the antibiotics.

Thank you for listening to me ramble on and on and on about my Java. I am glad to finally find a place to chat about my rabbit with other owners!

-Andrea

unfortunately, I don't have any help to offer... but I'm very sorry to hear about poor Java and hope she gets better soon!

I'm glad you found us - hope you stick around to chat more after she's well again! :)

Java seems much better! I called the vet and they want her to come in on Tuesday for an ear recheck. I gave her the day off yesterday from the ear drops because I wanted to see if they were causing her discomfort and itching. Today she seems like a new rabbit! No scratching or redness, she completely stopped shaking her head. I will be restarting her drops today because I want to make sure the infection clears completely but I'm happy to know that drops are is whats bothering her. Thanks for asking! :)

Latest posts

Back