Jamie's Getting Fixed!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LadyBug

Reaction score
Jamie's finally getting fixed next Thursday, he's almost nine months old, i'm happy, but also a little worried! i have a few questions about what to do for him afterward.

he goes out on the back porch everyday to play. how long after his surgery should i keep him inside(and in his cage)?

how much pain will he be in?are there any pain meds available, and should i get them for him?

it's a closer neuter, so how many stitches will he have?

and finally, the vet said that he'll need to wear a cone-collar thingie(y'all know what i mean, i can't remember the 'proper' name for it:p:D)for two weeks. do most vets have you do this? how upset are most rabbits about them? and is it really necessary for two weeks?

thanks for the help guys:rainbow:, we've never fixed a bun and the last animal that got fixed in our house was Prince, when i was seven, so i don't remember much:biggrin2:!

Hi!

I've had quite a few bunnies get neutered lately so I'll try to help you out :)

I would keep him confined in his cage for about 3 or 4 days. A little activity shouldn't hurt after the second day, but I like to be careful. You can still hold him and check out his area everyday to makesure it looks good.

Every bun is different in terms of their pain toleration, but I always ask for metacam to bring home, just in case. Two weeks ago, I didn't need to use any for Donnie, but this week I needed it for my baby, Toby. So, metacam is a common pain medicine for this type of procedure.

I'm not sure about the stitches, but my bunnies have either had glue or dissolvable stitches (the incision is really tiny).

Oh wow, about the collar...I've never heard of using one on a bunny for a neuter. You know, my bunnies have never even tried to mess w/ their areas after so maybe someone else can chime in on that. And two weeks seems a bit long and unreasonable.

Good luck! and keep us updated :)

-Kathy

thanks.

is $115 unreasonable for a neuter? he goes in at 8am and they said we could prob. come get him by 12pm the same day. mom and i are just gaping at the price, esp. because mom called this morning and asked how much cats(neutering) cost, and it's $68! is that the norm for a neuter(i mean the 115 for the bun)? it's just crazy that it costs so much:grumpy::X! thanks again for the help guys!

Wills neuter was about £60 (thats $120) whereas our FEMALE cat cost £30 ($60) so i know how you feel!

William didn't have a cone, and i wasn't given and pain meds. He seemed a little tired and quiet the day after but was absolutley fine. I was given some recovery food incase he wasn't eating but he was fine. I kept him in an indoor cage on my bedroom floor for 2 days and allowed him to run around in a small area in the living room on the second day. Third day he went back in his hutch all day, and the day after that i returned him to his normal routine.

Seems reasonable price if he is a good vet, I have never heard of the cone either - I know Romeo (previous bun) would have put his head to the floor and got stuck lol

its about 70nz do get a guy done here. Fluff had to wear a cone as he kept pulling at his stiches but they easily get it off, I would watch him for awhile and if he pulls put it on. They do put the bun through quite alot of stress, we ended up taking fluffs off and watching him constantley to stop him from picking.

ok, just a quick update,Jamie's not going in tomorrow, we had some stuff come up and we're going to have to do it later. i'll let y'all know when.

oh, and Jamie says "hi"(he's on my lap, making typing hard. and i think he's about to run......) he's very happy we're waiting:cool:!

Maybe the price difference between a cat and rabbit is because an op on a smaller creature is more painstaking so takes longer. With some TLC I'm sure your bunny will get back to normal quickly after he's been 'fixed'.

Jo xx

I got a cost estimate of 400 from a "rabbit savvy" vet. Needless to say, I didn't go there.

Final cost 60 with a coupon from NJ rabbit society. It's usually 200 I think the vet said. Metacam was 70... didn't even use half so donated it to a rescue after.

Cinnamon got... 5 staples and no collar.

I kept him in the cage for 4 days. He started developing cage aggression so I was eager to let him out. Boy, that was frustrating.

Latest posts

Back