Jack

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dajeti2

Reaction score
   I get to be Jack's new mom. Jack is a special needs English Lop and just the cutest little guy. :love: Here is Jack's story.

Ok, first I just want to say this has seriously got to be the single weirdest thing I have ever seen in a rabbit!! I actually checked this baby several times over the course of 3 days just to make sure I wasn't seeing things, but to my dismay I wasn't seeing things. This baby is actually missing it's right eye!

The baby is otherwise healthy, active, and is actually one of the largest in the litter. The reason I am posting about this in here is because if the baby's health checks out all the way up to weaning age I would like to put him/her up for adoption to someone who would be able to handle a special needs bun. I wanted to check with you guys first to see what everyone thought of the prospective health problems as far as anything gettting in there. It seems that the inner eye lid is there but the eyeball itself is totally vacant. The only thing that I can even imagine is that possibly the Mom may have stepped on him/her when still in the nest box.. I've had babies with scratched eyes due to that kind of problem, but NEVER anything like this! This has either got to be an injury or it is seriously the mother of all birth defects! It will be quite interesting to see how it develops further. I guess my real worry is that with nothing to hold they eyelid open does anyone know if there is a chance of it growing shut on itself? I know this board is no replacement for a vet but when you consider there are no vets around here that even can deal with a common problem in a rabbit much less than this you guys are my best hope for any answers at all. If you guys think odds are good for a "normal" life for the baby I will gladly put him/her up for adoption on the adoption board.

Thank you to anyone that may be able to offer advice or info!

MissingEye.jpg

[align=left][/align]<br><br>Just thought I would give everyone an up date on the little girl with the missing eye. She's doing good and is happy and healthy as the rest of the bunch. Just thought I'd get some moor pics in here in case any one knew of someone that would like to adopt her.
BunHug3.gif
So far there are still no problems with the eye though now that she is getting bigger and I can see in there better it's looking like there is still some portion of the eye there. My vet says she's still too young and small to do anything with her at this point anyway so all I can do for right now is make sure that she doesn't get any infections in the eye until she gets big enough that we can do some thing with her.

I was also wondering if anyone had any name suggestions... I'm at a bit of a loss on this one.
confused-smiley-013.gif
Before we knew it was a doe my Mom and I were both joking about calling her Sparrow (after Captain Jack Sparrow on Pirates of the Carribean)cause of the pirates that you see with a patch over their eye.. but now that we know it's a doe.. not sure if "Captain Jack" would fit for a girl!
laughing-smiley-012.gif
LOL If anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them!

MVC-007S.jpg

e84127bf.jpg

a6668da4.jpg

I was wondering what you think. Sadly there are no rabbit savvy vets in her area. So please try and understand she is doing everything possible for this little guy. She is also searching for a rabbit savvy ver but in the mean time, any suggestions?

I have called my vet and although he would like to see the eye stiched sooner, he said as long as it's kept clean it should be ok until he gets here. We'll have the eye checked, and then stitched.

Tina

Edited because the pictures and post weren't showing

If the eye has popped out, it's best to just leave it & let all the cords, etc., dry on its own. The eye will shrivel and fall off. Nature heals itself. I had a rabbit, 30 years ago, that had its eye popped out, accidently, by our loving dog. My Vet said "let it be" and it will heal on its own. It did.... Rab lived a long life after that without any problems. It was hard to look at him, at the time, with the eye dangling but, my Vet felt that surgery was too risky. Aside from having a closed eye, Rab looked no different from any other rabbit.  The dog never "kissed" the Rabs head again..... Rabs shriek scared him. They did continue to eat out of the same bowl when there was left over spagetti. Rab loved spagetti!

I just saw the pictures!!! I want her... I want her!!!!! Ooooooooooo!!!

The eye should be fine, on its own. OOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! I want, I want!!!!!

Gimme, gimme!!!!

Thanks... what a CUTIE she is!!!!!! Hopefully she won't be a ton of extra work... I would think with her having been that way since birth she'd do great..... I'd be scared of that eye socket getting infected.. poor lil girl! Sorry I have no advice to offer.....

When do you get her?

Charlette, Oh W:shock:W, thank you so much for the info. I am sending the link to this to the woman who has Jack now so she can read what y'all have to say and any ideas. I am so glad Rabs adjusted so well. I keep picturing Lady and the Tramp eating spaghetti together. Very sweet. Again thank you so much.

PGG, That's what I am thinking too that since he's always been this way it would be so hard for him to adjust too. I am also a bit concerned about possible infections.

Tina

Charlotte, psst... Jack's a boy. He was a boy, when sexed again he was a little girl and having been sexed again is a bouncing baby boy. ;)

I just melt everytime I see him.

Tina

Keep his name that way. But if they are wrong about sex I like Linda as well. So cute and beautiful. I like him/her too. But as our money situation special needs of any kind of pets is sorta out of the question other wise I would take him/her in a heartbeat. Special needs pets steal my heart everytime cause there are somany people out there treat them like nothing and it breaks my heart.

We have been setting some money aside each week as the Rabbit Medical fund. I am also looking into getting some pet insurance on this bunch.

Jeremy and I are going to be looking through names for him today or tomorrow. We are working on getting the chicken coop finished and the rabbit run. With Apollo not feeling well we put everything on the back burner.

Tina

So... when do you get him?? How old is he now? Is he close so getting him won't be a huge issue? 

So many unanswered ?'s... :p

That face! How can you not fall instantly in love??

And boy, how do I know the sex thing with rabbits. Remember when Valuran was Valura?? And how shocked I was when I saw his male bits, thinking right along he was a she. lol

What kind of care do English Lops need with their ears, if any? I've been meaning to ask Bassetluv this too.

PGG, Jack is only about 5 weeks old now. I saw his picture when I joined a forum someone told me about. I couldn't believe it. I showed Dale his picture as an English Lop is a dream bunny for him. He said Yea I want one just like that one. He said Too bad it's so far away.

The forum has a rabbit transport where members volunteer to help with transport, temporary housing and home checks. He will be coming here that way.

Stephanie. I know that one all too well also. Hopi was a boy until the gender fairy came and gave him man parts. :shock: Bad gender fairy.

Jack's ears will need a bit more care than say Apollo's but it's not too bad. Weekly cleaning and inspections of his ears. You don't want them getting cold and wet, which isn't a problem seeing as how he'll be inside. His nails will need to be trimmed so he doesn't accidentally tear one when he steps on them. Nothing sharp so he doesn't tear his ears.

Really it's just a matter of making sure his ears are clean and dry.

I want to thank you for all the support and information. It really means a lot.

Tina

Latest posts

Back