JACK RABBITS

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buneary49

Reaction score
6c197b097ad08460
d676eb0bb4a29db4

Really Odd looking Rabbitin the rabbit family and small head and those ears, and some think it's a jackolopes.

but has anyone ever catch a baby jackrabbit and make it a house pet?

I seen these odd rabbits they are fast critters

can you just see the cage to house the this rabbit?

this is a big rabbit and very oddlooking.

From what I understand, it is illegal to keep these as pets. You probably wouldn't want them as a pet, as they are wild animals and aren't very tamable. They are beautiful to see in the desert here in AZ, though, aren't they?

There used to be one that lived on base when we lived in Altus, OK. I know because I would walk to the BX and see it on the bank's lawn....I always loved seeing it.

Of course it was NOT tame - but it would let people get about 5-6' away from it before running off.

We have jack rabbits around my house but they are different then those. We have "white tailed jack rabbits" http://talkaboutwildlife.ca/profile/?s=571

We have a group of about 8 that live in the park in front of our house. They are all over the city and most people find them to be a pest.

The cutest part is when they change colors from brown to white in the winter. Sometimes the snow is late so there are white bunnies all over the brown grass,lol.

I love them. Its great seeing them all around the neighbourhood. Makes driving a bit scary as they dont' move out of the way for cars until you get really close.

We only have cottontails, snowshoe hares (up North), and some type of jackrabbit. Unfortunately, I am not sure of the species of jackrabbit that we get, but I think I've seen them before. I never could figure out why some of the bunnies in my parent's yard looked so much larger than the others!

Didn't we have a member once that took in an injured, baby jackrabbit to nurse back to health, and it got so used to human contact, she couldn't let it back into the wild?

I would swear we did...:)

:pink iris:if she did wouldn't she need a permit to keep it?

we have jack rabbits at the phoenix zoo, she must gave the jack rabbit to the zoo.

If I recall, she was basically having to hide it from authorities. I believe she lived in Australia, but I'm not totally sure about that. I do remember, though, that the rabbit was very orangey-red in color.

Jack rabbits are very interesting. They wean quite a bit differently than either domestic rabbits or cottontails. Their development overall is somewhat different thanother rabbits. And believe it or not...those ears are not for hearing. They are desert rabbits and as we all know it gets very hot in the desert. That huge vein in the ear is for cooling and controlling body temp. Lots of radiational cooling in those huge ears.

Randy

Latest posts

Back