ivermectin question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hailiejade

Reaction score
well i thought my mums cats had given my bunnies fleas but after covering house in flea spray and giving both bunnies an ivermectin spot on treatment (150 ug ivermectin) they are still scratching , bailey has some patchy bits where his spine is but the fur is coming back straight through so now am suspecting fur mites , how long would the ivermectin take to kick in and would it be ok to use an incecticidal spray treatment on them as well the ivermectin spot on was given a week about 5 days ago

What is ivermectin spot?

I know that some people use powder that has to be calculated to a extremely small amount that is placed on the nape of the neck??

Don't use any other topical spray after using the ivermectin. Could cause a bad reaction

its like frontline for cats but ivermectin instead of whats in frontline as thats dangerous 4 buns , is only 150 ug per pipette so dont think its a particulary strong dose its meant to be effective for 4 weeks ,

http://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/Easimec-Ivermectin-05-10ml/productinfo/IVE1/

this is calculated for small animals. I have never used it. and I cannot tell you what to do as I am uncertain as to the dosage that you already used. This product is to be used 1 day a week for 3 consecutive weeks

The dosage of ivermectin has to be calculated for the weight of the rabbit. Please read these articles. 150 ug means nothing??

http://forum.onlineconversion.com/showthread.php?t=9064

http://www.medirabbit.com/Safe_medication/Anti_parasitics/safe_antiparasitic.htm

http://www.medirabbit.com/Safe_medication/Anti_parasitics/ivermectin.PDF

ivermectin can be toxic if not calculated correctlty

[font="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif"]Sherleys Beaphar Anti-Parasite Spot On Rabbit/Guinea Pig 4 Weeks[/font]

21326Exp.jpg

[font="Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif"]
  • 21326 ... *4 Weeks ... £4.49
[/font]

[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][/font]

[font="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif"]

Beaphar Anti-Parasite Spot on for Rabbits, Guinea Pigs

, Ferrets and Rats. Effective against lice, mange mites

, other mites and roundworms, for up to 4 weeks

thats what it is , im not sure what 150 ug is i guess it is 0.15 mg/ml i could be wrong though
[/font]

SorryI was so stern :grumpy:

I thought you used the cat kind on your rabbit

Don't mix it with any other sprays or topical fleas products and if he is still itchy and scratchy in a few day i would take him to the vet :)

i was going to spray there cages with

[font="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif"]Johnsons Cage 'n' Hutch Spray 250ml[/font]

3483Exp.jpg

[font="Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif"]
  • 3483 ... *250ml ... £3.99
[/font]

[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]QTY[/font]
cart.gif

[font="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif"]
250ml Aerosol

Contains Permethrin, plus a long lasting Insect Growth Regulator (I.G.R.). Kills fleas, mites and lice in pet housing and pet quarters, e.g. cages, hutches, baskets, kennels, etc; in and around the home.

Not for use on animals.
[/font]
should i not and just keep washing them instead

there not as itchy scratchy as before but both keep licking there paws plus whenever i go near them im still getting bitten , not as many times as before was averaging 3-4 bites a day now am only getting 1

I've found that Ivermectin doesn't have much of an effect in breaking the life cycle of the flea. As already suggested, I'd look into other options. Ivermectin hasa rather wide safety margin, although in rare cases, some animals are hypersensitive to the drug.

Permethrins are generally not recommended for topical use on rabbits, however, it would be fine to spray and air dry the cage.

You'll need to really go after the habitats of the flea larvae to help control the fleas. Carpets need to besteam cleanedand any towels, stuffed animals, bedding, needs to be washed.

Pam

Here's a video discussing ear mites. However it also discusses the use of Ivermectin.

(A child screams in this video it NOT the rabbit)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoZgnAE7LAY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoZgnAE7LAY[/ame]

Be forewarned, there is a scene or two that might cause the viewer some discomfort. However, the rabbit in the video is doing great, now. He's a happy little guy.

That was great info although i thought the rabbit screamed (it was a baby) and that was a bit disconcerting
The point of this . I believe , is that it's best not to treat conditions when we are unsure what the condition is..

and whether a4 week over the counter onetime application can take care of these problems is ?
if bun is still scratching he needs to see the vet with the info of what has already been given to him

Please let us know

well im gon give it another week and if there still having probs will go 2 vet , in all fairness there not scratching as much now and a whole day has gone by and ive not been bitten , fingers crossed its all resolved

Thanks, I hope the video helps educate the masses. I never know how much information is too much or not enough.

Yes, the scream is upsetting, (hence the warnings), but I left it in to emphasize that the crust should be left alone since pulling it off REALLY hurts. I really hope it keeps other rabbits from experiencing that pain. And, the day-by-day pictures prove that the crust will fall off on its own, once the mites start dying off.

A holistic Vet gave me an essential oil to use for flea treatment. It is a blend by Young Living Essential Oils (only this brand is safe for application on pets or humans) of: Lemongrass, rosemary, niaouli, lavender, myrtle, and citronella. Do a search for young living purification and you'll find it.

Anyway, I put 1-2 drops into a tiny bowl and add about 1 tbl veggie oil to it to dilute the concentration. Then I take an eye-dropper and put a few drops on the back of Max's neck. The fleas are gone within a week of putting a drop or two on he back of his neck once every few days.

But like with everything, check with your holistic vet before trying alternative stuff. This mix will also kill fur mites.

You could also try buying a bunch of fresh rosemary and lemongrass, simmering it in a pot of water for 30 min with a few tablespoons of cloves added until it is well steeped, and then bathing your bunny in this every few days once it is cooled off. Or put in a spray bottle and spray onto fur until mites are gone.

They repel bugs and fleas can't stand it, also anti-parasitic so kills mites.

Just be sure to not get the steeped herb water or oil near their eyes and mouth.

A woman that adopted a rabbit from our shelter is really into alternative treatments. In this city here amidst fisherman,duck and deer hunters she is definitely in the minority.

I personally knowdon't very much about essential oils although I know kathy Smith discusses alternative treatments

I have tried citronella and geranium oil and another one (cannot remeber ) on myself to keep ticks off and mosquitoes off me when in the woods walking my dogs and to be honest it did not work as well as the strong repellants and I smelled so bad that I couldn't stand to be with myself.
this woman (referred to above) kept telling me about this oil that she used on her rabbit and I believe it was Purification. I thought that she was a bit 'off' but then I actually heard this referred to by someone on EB.

I am going to look into it..
Very interesting but I am such a novice i wouldn't know where to start and certainly couldn't advise anyone on this forum.

Yeah, Purification doesn't smell the greatest, I personally really dont like the smell and neither does Max! But, to get rid of fleas, it's worth him being a little scenty for a bit. For keep bugs off me, I only use it when I really need it because I dislike the smell so much.. it's great for fleas a moquitoes :).

well i contacted my vet and the nurse emailed me bk with this advice

My name is George I am one of the nurses at wendover heights. I had a chat with the exotic vets and his advise was to treat the bunnies with 3 consecutive treatments of ivermectin 10-14 days apart, one of the products that he named to be very good was Xeno 450. For fleas we would advice Advantage one pipette on the back of the neck, this is a monthly treatment and only actually kills the fleas for a week which is why it should be repeated at a reugular basis. Frontline isNOT to be used on rabbits

i dont trust myself to apply these products myself so think will take them up to the vets and get them sorted there

I agree that you should go to the vet ..

because Bailey already got some ivermectin it is hard to know whether it would interact with another product ; if he needs more ivermectin the vet should figure out the dosage based on what he got topiocally.

thats wat i thought spesh as it said on packet not to re-apply for 4 wks so think its best to actually get them seen to confirm it is mites rather than giving them more chemicals to treat something im not sure it is

Latest posts

Back