I'VE GOT A FUN QUESTION

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr_peter_kraz

Reaction score
So this is the plan. I'm going to thepet store and I have a pellet mix that I'm going to get forweight loss. My question is " In reading I came across thatrabbits need carbs with fayes diet should I pick up something withcarb( and what)?" Faye has two cups of veggies that aredivided by two feedings ( at 11am and 5pm) She gets romaine lettuce,3baby carrots, Broccoli heads, 2 ounce of diet pellets, andcilantro. Do I need carbs in this diet and I don't know ifthe pellets have any because I through out the bag after putting thepellets in a container in the frig. Is there a carb snack?

Thanks for the input

Peter

I'm not sure about a carb snack, but pretty muchany "snack" that you'll find at a pet store isn't conductive to weightloss, so I'd stay away from them for now.

It sounds to me like you have her on a good, scheduled eating plan and it doesn't sound like she's lacking in any nutrients.

Stephanie wrote:
I'm not sure about a carb snack, but pretty much any "snack"that you'll find at a pet store isn't conductive to weight loss, so I'dstay away from them for now.

It sounds to me like you have her on a good, scheduled eating plan and it doesn't sound like she's lacking in any nutrients.
Oh thanks for the support. That sounds great

Peter

hey pete th important thing is with whatever youchoose to change her over slowly shes used to something much differentand a sudden change might upset her diegestive tract ....but im sureyou know that:) cause you are the knollagable bunnyguy:cool:lol are you plaaning on picking up some timothy hayas well???

sara

Hi Peter,

I'm copying this from the other thread. Hope it isuseful. Pellets with about 12% crude protein and 18% or moreof crude fiber tend to give the best results from what I've picked upalong the way. Keep in mind, vegetables and fruits have a lotof sugar in them, as I'm sure you're aware, so I'd keep them in check.

:)

If your rabbit is obese, you may want to do it under the supervision ofyour vet to make sure the rabbit is losing weight slowly. You'd want tohave a scale, at the very least if you were to do it yourself. Youdon't want to stress out the rabbit by sudden changes and the weightloss must be slow and steady in order for it to be a healthy one forthe rabbit.

Some things you can do to better manage your rabbit's weight is toreduce the amount of pellets you offer and give them more grass hay.Also, don't give sugary or starchy treats. Give healthier things likevegetables instead, but introduce them slowly and in moderation.

Watch the rabbit's activity level, appetite, and feces. A successfuldiet for a rabbit is to lose 1% of its original body weight per week

-Carolyn

dr. pete, that all sounds awesome but you mightdrop the 3 carrots to 1 ...... I only give Bo a few shavings of bigcarrots or a single baby carrot one or two times each weekgenerally. They are high in sugar I think... that might helpher lose the weight you want her to......

Latest posts

Back