I've been having Bunny Withdrawls!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ttrkyra

Reaction score
I was in 4-H for a few years with rabbits. Raised a few Polish in my most recent years.

I had to give them up when I went to college, but have since beenhaving bunny withdrawls! So I'm thinking about getting a small one forjust a pet. I'm wondering what breed you all think is most peoplefriendly and enjoys being hugged. I know individual rabbits vary, butin general...

Thanks for your help!

i have a holland lop shes 3.5 pounds and withalot of attention and love since she was little she has become tame andloving but it took long hours for about six months:) good luck!

sara

I've heard time and time again that FlemishGiants are great bunnies to have. I've got a flemish-holland cross, andshe's a sweetheart. I don't think you could go wrong with Hollandseither.... Then again, I love all rabbits, so I think it would be very,very difficult to pick just one breed out of them all! :)

ttrkyra.... you're going to find that everyone has their own likings towards their breed they have.

Do you want a calm, layed back rabbit?

Any active one?

A mid-tempered one?

How much care do you want involved?

Hollands tend to need their butt trimmed and carefully watched for poop in the fur.
Dwarf Hotots are prone to digestive problems. Not saying every rabbit does tho as most of mine don't have problems.
Mini Rex need to be watched as they are prone to sore hocks.
I have really nothing to say about Netherland Dwarfs, except you canrun into some agressive one. However, that happens in EVERY breed.

It all depends on what your needs and wants are.

~*~Amanda~*~

Dutch rabbits are said to be the best withchildren i've heard. I'm not sure why. I know thebun isn't going to be around small children but temperament-wise theyare said to be placid.;)

Well naturally I'd have to say German Angora'sare tops, but being in college you probably wont have time for theupkeep of the hair. I don't really have any other experience withrabbits, sorry!

Megan

Dwarf_Angel04 wrote:
Hollands tend to need their butt trimmed and carefully watched for poop in the fur.

~*~Amanda~*~
really?????????? i have never had to trim lyla thats wierd ive never ever heard of that from anyone or any where all well :)

sara

If you are looking for a smaller breed, fromexperience the most docile rabbits I have been around are Hollands,Himi's, Dutch, and Lionheads.

I know for me, it was easy to choose a breed. The first time I saw aHolland Lop at the fair I instantly fell in love. I don't regret thatdecision either. I love every single one of my Hollands, even thoughsome can be a pain in my rear sometimes.

I have two Lionheads also. One is just the sweetest thing, the otherhas a bit of an attitude, but every rabbit varies I suppose. They doneed weekly grooming though.

Himi's.. I also fell in love with when I first saw them. I am addingsome to my herd this summer. They are very gentle, and who can resistthose oh so cute faces.

Dutch are also really docile. I don't own one, but know people who do.Like all rabbits, personality differs, but they tend to make wonderfulpets.

~Nichole

I think a lot depends upon your personal feelings about what you want.

A good thing to do might be to break it down by catagories.....

Uppy ears, Flop ears, or don't care......

Male or female or don't care ... (remember the spay neuter thing)

hair and the care of it.....

size; does it matter? is your space limited?

After finding the answers to those things..... and how you feel about those things... look for the breed that fits within it.

Personality can vary I think from one rabbit to the next. Ihave heard people say that mini rex are not friendly and I have heardmini lops are nippers, nasty and do not want held. I've alsoheard dwarfs are just plain mean and that English Spots don't livelong. I could go on and on about these things..... I findthesestatements false within several cases here or fromfriends.

Bo is super-friendly, loves being petted, gives lots of kisses and actually jumps into my lap a lot of the time.

I know others can testify to their own preference or types they have.

I love the lop ears...but I have a mini rex because I just couldn't resist that fur...and she is just soooo beautiful. :)

Anyway, my mini lop has the best temperment. He is just alittle love. My holland is wonderful, but she has been crankylately. (I think she is mad because Basil, the rex, came backfrom surgery....LOL)

I have family who used to raise flemish and they are absolutely fantastic, but need lots of space.

Good Luck,

Jen

cirrustwi, I was just thinking of Bo's furtoday. It seemed it was even more soft than normal.... Ithink when he molted out it got more dense or something.......

I had my face rubbing it on his neck and cheek... of course he was happy and purring LOL!

Thanks everybody! I think I'm going to go for aholland. (Who can say no to those adorable round heads and floppyears?!) The cage itself probably can't be any bigger than an 18x24,though I plan to let it have free roam of a room when I'm at home.

I had a not-so-mini mini rex and she was really sweet, though not thebrightest critter. When I'd let her out of her cage, I'd set up a "playpen" made out of cardboard boxes, so she wouldn't run around the entirebasement. She'd go to one end, and run as fast as she could until sheran into the box on the other side..

I do love that fur though...

--kyra

Back