IT'S BUNNY DAY!!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I just posted a message about my new guy and lost it, so here we go again :)

His name was originally "Gilligan" (named by his breeder). My daughter(just turned 5 on Thursday) wants to call him "Flopsy" and I was thinking of "Bun-Bun" because it's what I just naturally called him :) However, I told my daughter she could name him, so I suppose it will officially be Flopsy (because of his flopsy ears :) At least it was better than my 8 year old son's suggestion of "Cutesy Wutesy"...

Anyway, he's about 5 months old (was born on the 18th of October) and is a Cashmere Lop (which I believe is a Fuzzy Lop in the US). Most of his relatives are seal points, but his points look lighter than that to me...if he was a cat, I'd call him a Blue Point, but he's a bunny so I don't know what to call him :)

He is absolutely gorgeous, but his fur is full of matts, so I'll be getting rid of them for ages! I attacked him with some scissors tonight, as he sat quite placidly on my lap (he may have been too terrified to move...or he could just be naturally placid :))

When we first bought him home (after over an hour in the car, poor darling) he wasn't up for much... but tonight, after the kids were in bed, we let him out in the living room and he had a ball! My cat Mushu (in the picture with Little Hoppy Hoppy) was pretty chuffed to find a new playmate, but I had to discourage him from playing too roughly too soon!! However, bun didn't seem to mind!

Anyway, here is a picture of him (not a great one...it gives him red eyes!!), but it does show, at least a little bit, how adorable he is!!

Also...I don't know how common it is to inbreed rabbits, but this is one incredibly inbred bunny!!! I have his pedigree and there is an astonishing amount of incest in his family tree... is this normal for bunny breeders???? Not that I care... his parents' relationship doesn't bother me too much... but he does seem awfully inbred!!

Inbreeding is pretty common to set good traits (although it can also set bad ones). The most common breedings are mother/son and father/daughter although you can also see grandparent/grandchild.

I'm not overly fond of brother/sister breedings although that is done sometimes on a limited basis.

Congrats on your new baby. I'm so glad you have him as I know you were missing having a rabbit so much.

Peg

ahri22 wrote:
Also...I don'tknow how common it is to inbreed rabbits, but this is one incredibly inbred bunny!!! I have his pedigree and there is an astonishing amountof incest in his family tree...is this normal for bunny breeders???? Not that I care... his parents' relationship doesn't bother me too much... but he does seem awfully inbred!!

[align=center]:bunnydance:Congratulations!!:bunnydance:[/align]
He is adorable!!:inlove: Lucky you! And I agree with Jan, more pictures!!

[align=center]YAYY!!! Congratulations!!

:bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::colors::colors::colors::elephant::elephant::elephant:
[/align]

Another name that would fit him is cotton (As in Cotton ball, Or C.b)

That must take a longgg time to brush.. Imagine a comb :shock:

And.. If you ever give him Veggi's while hes out and dosent want the kitty to eat them.. he can stuff em' in his furr :p

He's going really well! He didn't poop much when we brought him home, and didn't show much interest in food, until the kids were in bed and I let him free in the living room! Then he started eating and pooping. Yay!

Then, it was bed time, and I put him in his cage... he didn't seem to do much in the way of pooping or eating while in his cage! Bad boy!!

This morning, the kids were being noisy, so I brought him in my room and popped him on the bed... he started hopping around, having fun,doing little poops (on the bed, yay!!!) and chewing a hole in my pillowcase... so I gave him some pellets and some hay and he gobbled it up, and made a heck of a mess on the bed (by this time it didn't matter... as he'd already done a wee... so the whole lot needs to be washed anyway!!!)

I have some more gorgeous pictures that I'll post as soon as I have a few minutes to resize them etc.

Oh, and as for his interbreeding...

His mum and dad are brother and sister....
His grandma and grandpa are brother and sister...
His great grandma and great grandpa are father and daughter...

As I said, a LOT of inbreeding there!!

Interestingly, I met his brothers, sisters, mum, grandma and grandpa yesterday (his father died over Christmas, and apparently the breeder was very sad as he was a lovely boy), and you'd think with all that inbreeding his colouring would be more like the others... but they're all definite seal points...while his points are lighter!!

I figured there wouldn't be a great deal of genetic variation in the family given the amount of inbreeding there!!

Latest posts

Back