It's been two weeks...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crystal

Reaction score
Tomorrow it's been two weeks since Lopsy was neutered.

I think I've read that it can take 4-6 weeks for the hormones to go down, so...

Should I start the bonding again between him and Lulu? Or should I wait another week or two or four weeks?

They really seemed to like each other, there was no aggression but he kept humping her. Is two weeks long enough for that to have improved?

Maybe I should at least make them able to see each other?

Advice please!!! :D

I think you should definately keep them apart for a few more weeks, because you don't want a chance of pregnancy.

But I would definately place them so they can see eachother, and smell one another (not completely next to eachother because it has been known for buns to mate through bars, if determined enough :p ).

Jen

Lulu has been desexed for almost a year, so there's no chance of pregnancy. Sorry, I should have included that information! Thanks for your reply though.

I was told when I got Lopsy that he was desexed... but I started to think he wasn't. So I took him to the vet and discovered he wasn't after all (although he did have one testicle inside... he is a special bunny). So now I'm hoping the bonding will happen because he shouldn't be so insistent on mounting her!

So with that important information, what is now advice now?

I would wait, personally. Any fighting could set back the bonding process. If you know they won't fight (from past experience) you can try a brief meeting, but don't try to do too much - just 5-10 minutes max.

Ahhhh sorry my bad lol. That would be an utter miracle if Lulu did get pregnant hahaha.

I agree with Laura- you don't want to start them out on a bad encounter, because that could really affect the bonding process.

It's really exciting and I would be desperate to put them together, but I'd force myself to wait another week or so, if I were you.

Jen

They've had around a dozen or so bonding sessions, ranging from 10 mins to 2 hours... there was no aggression apart from the very first time which was about 11 months ago. So this wouldn't be their first experience of each other, just their first experience since he has lost his testicles haha

Eating together was fine, they would sit side by side and munch on pellow, the main problem was Lopsy would hump her. She is faster and would just hop away so it wasn't really much of an issue, but was stopping them really getting along well. I thought he was desexed for a while, you see.

Anyway I'm thinking it's not a bad idea to wait another week at least. I just thought today, tomorrow and Sunday could be a good time to start again because I am home all day so if it went well they could be together for quite a few hours. One more week won't hurt though :)

I would encourage you to be patient for another week or two... give some time for your young guy's "macho" (read humping :D) streak to settle out :p.

I hear ya... I would be anxious to start bonding myself! Sounds like you're well prepared for this step towards a happy pair of buns :)

Not sure that I'm prepared... but it's nice of you to say haha

I guess because they weren't too bad before he was neutered I don't think it's super important that I wait 4-6 weeks. I guess it can't hurt though right :)

To be honest it's sort of nice to have an excuse to wait. I am keen for them to be a happy bonded pair though, but it might be a bit stressful for a little while!

Latest posts

Back