It's almost time!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonnie Lee

Reaction score
Hi :)

so Moshi is on her 27th day which is exciting
but today she made a complete nest with fur and all but I haven't put the box in because I was going to do it on day 28 but is it okay if I just place her nest into the box? But in the exact same place she made it

I can't see it being a problem but I wanted to double check
also with her afterbirth and what not do people take it out and clean it up a bit or leave the kits in it??

Thanks for everything in advance ! :)

Oh yes! Definitely put the box in there right away and just gently pick up the nest she made and place it inside the box. She shouldn't have a problem with that. If she's pulling fur already she is definitely ready!

In regards to the afterbirth, they usually eat it, so you won't need to do anything with it. It's very vitamin rich.

Pics please!!

YAY! It sounds like you could have babies any day. :)

As for the "cleanup" after delivery, there isn't any. Unlike most animals, after a doe has her babies it's almost impossible to tell she even had them. I guess that's due to the fact that they're prey, and need to make sure the smell of the blood/afterbirth doesn't drag in unwanted threats.

Can't wait to see pics!!

Oh guys... Don't get me too excited lol.

Right now I'm just praying for healthy kits or a false pregnancy. it doesn't even matter which one it is I am just so scared that my first litter will be still births.

I put in the box and "tried" to gently put the nest him =.="
I am probably the most clumsy and awkward person I have ever seen... the nest ended up being a mess and I had to just put what I could inside but Moshi didn't mind at all she just sniffed it a bit and then fixed it up a little bit with some more fur :)

Regarding my question about the afterbirth and why I was asking is something else and I'll post another thread on this because It's a bit sad. But if she has kits I will post pictures as soon as possible! :)

since she's made the nest now she's really calm and lazy. she just lounges about :)

Lol, What makes you want TWO mel? haha

lol even numbers! I have two now. Although as big as my angora is she can literally be two dwarfs haha.

I'm so curious about bunny breeding and showing especially getting my daughters into 4h. I love reading about everyone's new litters and kits!!

Hoping for easy birth and healthy kits! Can't wait till you give us the news!

And definitely need pics of the wee little ones!

K:)

Well that's the part I don't know.

When I cuddle her I try to feel the sides of her tummy and she seems rounder I think but I can't feel movement.
But then she's so wooly and it's so think I wasn't sure if I would even feel it? Does that make sense?

Also I'm not sure if this is normal but she's not too active after making her nest all night she just slept on her side and she's usually digging every night and every morning in the corner of her cage but for some reason she just seems so exhausted :( is this okay? She's still eatig and drinking fine and her poo is defintely healthy

could it be still births if I can't feel movement but she feels a bit rounder?

LakeCondo wrote:
Does her "stomach" move around when you touch it? If so, it's not a false pregnancy.

The kits are rather "squished" and have little room to move. After over 20 years of breeding, I have yet to feel kits moving when I palpate a doe.

That does make sense but should I be able to feel all kind of lumps everywhere around her belly?

I'm getting somewhat worried.
is it normal for first time mothers to make their nest so early? it somewhat getting ruined because she goes and sniffs it and takes some fur out and back in and back out...

I rested my hand under her tummy... I didnt move or palpate around or anything she just laid on it and I think I felt a tiny movement or something for a second but I'm really unsure. Today is day 30 so I'm hoping she will have kits tomorrow night if shes going to have any.

I'm really losing sleep over this because she's next to the bed so I keep waking up to make sure she's okay.

I can't believe you've bred rabbits for over 20 years?!
That really is so amazing! I would love to have that much years and experience with bunnies :)

It's really hard to try to figure out with First Time Mom's. They may build nests early or not at all. I will be just like you when it's Luna's turn. And wish I had the track record like Pam, to help you out. It must be nerve wracking waiting. And the hard part is she could be pregnant or it could be false. I was toldby breeders that, you don't know how a doe is, until you been through her first and second litter. They all have a pattern on when they get their nest ready, and how they are as Mom. Unfortunately you have to observe the first two, to see her pattern. Definitely nerve wracking.

You said today is day 31. If she does, she could go as late as 36 days. Will be watching and hoping your next post is "We have babies".

Bonnie Lee wrote:
That does make sense but should I be able to feel all kind of lumps everywhere around her belly?

I can't believe you've bred rabbits for over 20 years?!
That really is so amazing! I would love to have that much years and experience with bunnies :)

You may be able to feel lumps at the end of the pregnancy. Depends on the number of feti and how much abdominal fat the doe has. The do sometimes (but not always) feel "lumpy".

22 years of raising show rabbits, plus previous years of experience of raising rabbits ;) I can't believe it's been that long either!

Thank you for your help :)

Another question occurred to me today...
Tonight will be her 31st night. but I'm not sure if I'm counting it correctly... I have included the day I mated her with the buck as a day. but should I be counting the day after the mating? so then it would be night 30?

Bonnie Lee wrote:

Tonight will be her 31st night. but I'm not sure if I'm counting it correctly... I have included the day I mated her with the buck as a day. but should I be counting the day after the mating? so then it would be night 30?
Really good question. As I've never bred a rabbit, and will in the future, I just had to know the answer. Did a bit of a search. Found this "Gestation Calculator" And you have to plug in the date you first bred. So I guess it is 31st day.

Here's what I found.

http://www.gestationcalculator.com/other/rabbit-pregnancy-calculator

Hope this helps.

Thank you Karen :)
I don't know how you find links so easily... ha ha
I could be on google for hours and never find anything useful lol.

well then if shes pregnant i should be finding out extremely soon :)

Bonnie Lee wrote:

Don't count the day you mated her unless you did it in the morning. We have a doe who consistently has her kits the morning of the 30th day and another doe who always has her the night of the 31st day. Just depends on the doe. :)

Thanks Vicki :)
We actually didn't mate her in the morning.
our day ended up being so full that we did it late afternoon.
so that means today is the 31st night? lol
:)

Has anybody ever seen their doe give birth?
I was starting to wonder if her being by my bed puts her off from giving birth because she wants privacy? but then she's always been next to my bed so maybe it wouldn't bother her?

Back