Itchy ears

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyHersheyBun

Reaction score
Hershey just recently has seemed to be having itchy ears. He sometimes will shake his head alot and than will scratch his ears. Would it be safe to give himflea and mite drops in his ears the same they use for cats and dogs or will I need to buy something special?

Thanks!

Hi,

I would avoid any dog/cat preparations as most are unsuitable for bunnies. How does the ear look, is it inflamed/sore? Is there any dirt in the ear that you can see? Rabbits can get ear mites which causes discomfort and you can sometimes see the tiny mites wriggling about, in which case I'd take him along to your vet. You could clean the ears with either water or a proprietory rabbit ear cleaner initially, but if no improvement or the ears are sore I'd seek vet advice.

Thanks for the advice vicky. I will be sure to start out with the water cleaning. Can I get the rabbit ear cleaner at most pet stores or do I need to get that from the vet?

You should be able to get a gentle ear cleaner either over the counter from your vet or from a pet shop. Hope Hersheys ears clear up soon :)

I disagree with putting anything over the counter in a rabbit's ears. Please just take him to the vet. he probably has mites/and or an infection and a good rabbit vet will give you the appropriate cleanser if one is needed. over the counter pet meds are often not safe.
Maureen

Latest posts

Back