Itchy ears?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nessa1487

Reaction score
Skippy, my Holland lop has been scratching athis ears like crazy! When I took him to the vet last, his ears werejust fine..they are clean, no ear mites or anything..but yet hecontinues to scratch..anyone ever noticed their bunnies doing thisbefore? I'm afraid he's gonna hurt himself.

Wesley had really itchy ears and when we tookhim to the vets, she found lots of ear wax. He got it cleaned out andhe's fine now!

Man did he hate the q tips in his ears though...

Yep! My lop eared rabbits have always seemed toscratch their ears way more often than the up eared ones. They seem toget an itch on the inside of their ears and can't seem to quite reachit, so they stratch around the outside trying to get in.

Ithink thatthe problem mostcertainly needs to be further investigated. The scratchingcould be due to ear mites (or fur mites in the ear area), earinfection, ear injury or any other type of ear discomfort.

Pam

Sunny's the same and she's a lop. She scratches and cleans her ears lots.

The vet says that there's absolutely nothing wrong with her ears, she just may be a bit obsessed with them feeling clean.

I haven't worried about it since.

Nothing wrong with the ears of my bunnies too,they have been vet checked. It seems to be a lop thing in particular inmy experience. It's not that mine scratch more often as such, but theyhave to scratch for longer to get at it (I think!).

I don't think it's normal for a lop toobsessively scratch it's ears. We've had lops for over 16years (currently are down to about 50), and I've noted no moreincidence of ear problems or ear scratching than any other breed.

Pam

That's why I brought Sunny in, but the vetchecked her thoroughly and her ears were fine. Inoticed the ear thing shortly after we first got her which was a yearago. She still "obsessively" cleans her ears, but shows no other signsor symptoms of being ill in any other way.

I don't think that its normal for any rabbit tocontinuously scratch their ears..I agree with Pam..why not get a 2ndopinion from a different vet? being itchy all the time is painful

Back