It could not have been said better...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluedimplett

Reaction score
So, I was bored on craigslist and came across these two ads through the pets section:

"looking for bunny x-pen

Reply to: [email protected]
Date: 2007-12-11, 6:05AM PST

Hi, Santa is bringing us an adorable pair of lop bunnies and we are looking for stuff to make them feel at home. If you have a used X-pen, carrier, litter box, toys, etc. please call us - Santa is almost broke!!!
PRIVATE CONTACT INFORMATION REMOVED BY MODERATOR
PostingID: 505688170"

And someone was so bothered by this post that this was their reply:

"Re: Bunny X-Pen Needed

Reply to: see below
Date: 2007-12-11, 12:16PM PST

"Hi, Santa is bringing us an adorable pair of lop bunnies and we are looking for stuff to make them feel at home. If you have a used X-pen, carrier, litter box, toys, etc. please call us - Santa is almost broke!!! PRIVATE CONTACT INFORMATION REMOVED BY MODERATOR

Perhaps Santa should reconsider his gift. Why would you adopt a rabbit (or two) with no means of providing them with the safety, specialized care and stability that they so especially need? Things such as shelter and litter are things that you should be able to easily provide for any pet that you adopt- what happens if they become ill? Would you adopt a child with no means of providing them with shelter, clothing or food? Just because a life is not human does not mean it is any less important once you, an adult, have made a decision to adopt.
I'm sure that you are a kind, caring person, this is why you'd like a pet. Maybe you should donate some time to the local animal shelter. I just wish that more people would not stress their lives as well as a small animal's life because they want a nice Christmas gift. If you look on here you will see 3 perfectly great, very young rabbits (complete with cages!) that can "no longer be properly cared for." Will your wonderful pair of lops be joining them? Please consider the long term care and wellbeing of your future pets.

PostingID: 506094295

I could not have said it better myself. :)

Ouch. I don't go on Craigslist because we don't have anyplace close to us that would have listings....and I think I'm glad now that I don't.

I feel badly for the person who first posted....they knew enough to know that the rabbits would do better in an Xpen.....they knew enough to know that rabbits like toys....and I'm guessing they were hoping to find some stuff at reasonable prices so they could get more for their money...and they get slammed like that.

I understand the feeling behind what the other person is posting...but we don't know the "whole story" behind all of this. It reminds me of Paul Harvey's radio broadcasts "The Rest of the Story" where he would tell about someone without every identifying them and you learn all these things about them and go "wow...I never thought of it that way.." once you learn who they are.

Can you imagine if someone from RO took these folks under their wings so to speak...introduced them to the forum...helped them learn how to deal with these lops and helped them get some things cheaper so they could get more? Wow - I bet those two lops would be spoiled rotten.

I'm sorry - I don't mean to seem critical of you or of this posting - I guess I just find myself seeing it from another perspective. It might come from being on yahoo rabbit lists where I frequently see requests for space cages, water bottles, etc. and I never see folks get criticized for it.

I hope these folks get what they're looking for. For all we know - they may have already been committed to these rabbits before they knew about any rabbits being listed on Craigslist...

Oh well...I guess I best just quietly leave the thread. I just feel badly for these people - wanting to get the most they can for the rabbits they ARE commited to....I wish I had their addy so I could send them a bunch of stuff!

Peg

Hmmm.... I never thought of it that way. I'm on craigslist a few times a week. It always breaks my heart to see how many people try to dump their rabbits on there and its always the same reason "they no longer have the time for them or they aren't allowed to have pets in their home"

And for me what i did not like about the original post is that they live in Del Mar which is one of the most expensive neighborhoods (as in the lowest rent you can find their is $1,100 for a studio) in San Diego. I sure as heck cant afford that type of rent. So for me its like if you can afford high rent then you can buy an x-pen. Thats why it kinda bugged that they are claiming Santa is broke. Just made no real sense to me.

I will reply to this person and let them know about this forum.

You know, I grew up in one of the most wealthy areas in central Indiana. My parents did not graduate high school. My dad worked 2 jobs for years, (he's still with the one company) and mom babysat and took in ironings to help pay the bills. I remember being about 6 and driving the ironed clothes to the families. Weird huh?

Anyhow, my parents wanted the best for us so they did what they could to keep us in that area. We had lots of pets and they felt that was an important part of our growing up. Pets teach kids to be responsible and gentle. I adored my pets. We raised money for the local shelters by having PET CIRCUSES and things like that.

I believe this person is getting their kids bunnies and wants to give them a great life and the kids all they need to do that.

We cannot judge someone without knowing the entire situation, so I want to think the best of it.

You cannot judge a person until you have walked a mile in his moccasins.

I have to be honest, I agree with Peg 100%

I hope someone can send them the RO address as well as some of the useful links here. I'd do it but I obviously don't have the addy and I'm in the UK so they might think I'm weird, lol.

How true! I am an occasional CL browser and when I see a post with someone sort of like this I usually refer them to some of my favorite bunny sites--such as this forum. Just this past summer I came across an ad on CL from a new bunny parent looking for info and such. I referred them here and now they are one of my fave mods! :)

I was thinking about this.

If you are willing to give me the e-mail address (via PM) then I will be more than happy to contact and try and help this lady.

And lagadvocate, would that be the wonderful Leaf?

I must agree with the consensus. Perhaps this family overspent on christmas, that has no bearing on them being able to take proper care and provide for their pets. I have posted on Freecycle for NIC panels and collected quite a few that way. That doesn't mean I can't care for my buns. It means I like getting things for free/cheap where possible to save my money for those more important things.

Words hurt, it's nothard to imagine how reading that post made the first family feel. For all we know they are a member of the forum or your next door neighbor. As the second poster suspected they may be another family buying rabbits as a toy and will dispose of them in a short time. Shouldn't we give people the benefit of the doubt?

Someone should contact them, and find out the story.Maybe they'll join the forum. That'sIF they are still checking responses to the post after receiving a tongue lashing. It sounds to me like they have the best of intentions.

Really? I didn't know that's how Leaf made her way here! She has my babygirl Genelle. I love that rabbit!!! One of these days I want to go meet them!

You know, it is good that someone wants to "reach out" to help - very cool of you Flashy! :hug:

I'm always catching people at pet stores to tell them about this forum or give some friendly advice, lol, can easily do it this way too. I'm going to PM bluedimplett

Hi,

So, after reading all of your posts i decided to email the family this morning and let them know that i could try to find them some help (like direct them here, give them HRS info and about NIC cages since thats my set up) but sadly, they have not reponded to me. There is a phone number to contactbut im not big on calling strangers it kinda freaks me out to call strangersm (too many bad experiences with that).

*sighs*

Hopefully they respond.

bluedimplett wrote:
Hmmm.... I never thought of it that way. I'm on craigslist a few times a week. It always breaks my heart to see how many people try to dump their rabbits on there and its always the same reason "they no longer have the time for them or they aren't allowed to have pets in their home"

And for me what i did not like about the original post is that they live in Del Mar which is one of the most expensive neighborhoods (as in the lowest rent you can find their is $1,100 for a studio) in San Diego. I sure as heck cant afford that type of rent. So for me its like if you can afford high rent then you can buy an x-pen. Thats why it kinda bugged that they are claiming Santa is broke. Just made no real sense to me.

I will reply to this person and let them know about this forum.

My hubby is from El Cajon. He promised to take me to the Del Mar fair but we haven't gotten around to it yet....

Del Mar fair is fun :) its a 35min dr from where i live. Its the only time i pig out lol. Its cool to see the show rabbits there.

Update on the craigslist ad: So, both ads have been taken down and i never got a reply from the people. I hope they will be ok.

Latest posts

Back