Issues with Gimpy

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

degrassi

Valerie - Member
Reaction score
I'm a little unsure on some issues concerning Gimpy and would like some opinions.Here is a little history.

Gimpy is a dwarf(2kg) and turned 7 in Jan. Back in Nov he had some tummy trouble http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=62279&forum_id=16 Before that, he also had an issue with "bladder stones" we think it was. He was super sick one day, peeing all over but got better by that night. The vet said it could have been a bladder stone.

So since his tummy trouble day he hasn't been back to completely being normal. Some days his poops are normal(right size, round) and he eats normally(all his pellets, and hay) but other times he only eats a bit of his pellets and a little bit of hay. His poops are smaller, and kind of tear drop shaped. I've also found a little bit of diarhea every once and a while stuck to his litter box grid.

So today I decided to call the vet for a checkup and see what might be going on with him. I just got back. The vet wasn't too sure and said it could be a couple things. He does have some teeth spurs but she said they didn't look like they were cutting or rubbing on his tongue or cheeks.He also isn't drooling or anything. She also said it could be a hairball, or some kind of low grade GI infection or parasite, or just age. She wasn't sure due to his vague symptoms and being that he wasn't acutely sick.

At the appointment she gave him SQ fluids and Metoclopramide to see if that would help his stomach motility. I also got some Critical care that she told me to give him for the next few days. Now here is where I'd like to get some advice. She also wants to do a teeth trimming and Xray. To get his teeth trimmed its going to be around 250$ and if I add an xray its 400$+. Do you guy think I should get the teeth trimmed? Thats a lot of money and stress for a bunny if she isn't sure it will fix the problem. I'm worried that because he is old that he won't do well being put to sleep for the trimming.

So any advice? Anyone from Edmonton know a cheaper place to take a bunny for teeth problems? Should I just see how he reacts to the Metaclopramide and critical care first?

No one has had experience with having molar spurs trimmed?

I decided to go ahead and book him to have it done. I'm taking him tomorrow. Hopefully it helps him want to eat more. Hes still only eating about half his pellets and a little hay.

I'm just really worried how he'll do with being put under and the stress of being at the vets for half a day :(

Hi Valerie,

I can totally understand how worried you are. Winston had his teeth trimmed once, OMG I had to help the Vet & the Tech do it. It was awful. He was quite sick with tummy problems at the same time, cost me a bloody fortune and I still am not sure what was wrong with him. He has been back to a Vet since then who said his teeth are ok. I do make sure he gets alot of different types of hay to eat.

Anyways what I wanted to say was Buttercup was very ill about 3 years ago, he had to have his tummy drained of alot of fluid. My point to telling you this is he was 9 years old then and put under a General Anesthetic, He did ok with the general anesthetic. He was quite sick for a while butpulled through. He's now 12 and half years old,

I hope everything goes good for Gimpy.

Susan:)

I am sorry that there are very few Infirmary mods available right now to assist folks.
I am wondering whether Gimpy has had a blood panel done.? I did not read your original thread so it is possible that I am asking a question that has been answered elsewhere. )

A blood panel would tell you alot about what is going on in Gimpy"s body and actually often is required prior to a rabbit going under anesthesia

Do you feel that your vet is knowledgeable about rabbit's ?

http://rabbit.org/faq/sections/vet.html

I have had several rabbit's with dental issues who have had successful molar trims but only under anesthesia .

The experience of the vet with using anesthesia on rabbits is one of the major factors in the outcome of procedures/surgeries despite the age of the rabbit / you want a vet who does a lot of procedures on rabbits

Yes the vet is experienced with rabbits. At my appointment on saturday I also discussed with her my concerns with the anesthetic and his age. I guess thats where I"m torn. Weighing the risk of anesthetic with the risks of him not eating properly, with not knowing if this will even help.

I guess this is step one as its the only problem she could find on his physical exam that could be causing the eating issues. Fix this and hopefully his eating gets back to normal. If not I guess we move onto step 2, xrays, blood work and/or poop test.

I just hate worrying about my baby and having to be the one to make decisions :(

degrassi wrote:
Yes the vet is experienced with rabbits. At my appointment on saturday I also discussed with her my concerns with the anesthetic and his age. I guess thats where I"m torn. Weighing the risk of anesthetic with the risks of him not eating properly, with not knowing if this will even help.

I guess this is step one as its the only problem she could find on his physical exam that could be causing the eating issues. Fix this and hopefully his eating gets back to normal. If not I guess we move onto step 2, xrays, blood work and/or poop test.

I just hate worrying about my baby and having to be the one to make decisions :(

If the vet is very comfortable doing the procedure then it is probably safe ; if the vet is not experienced or uncomfortable with the procedure then I would also be uncomfortable.

In my experience the vet usually does the blood work before anesthesia to determine whether the rabbits has any issues that would contraindicate going under anesthesia

Vet just called and said Gimpy did well and I can go pick him up after lunch :)

The plan is to see how he does for a couple days after the trimming. If he starts eating normal again then great. But if he is still a bit "off"(only eating half amounts, having D every so often) then we will do blood work or antibiotics. She said we could try giving him antibiotics today as a precaution but I would rather wait a bit and see if this helps first. I don't want to give him antibiotics if he doesn't need them.

I'm just glad he did ok with the trimming. I'm really hoping that it helps.

Yes, I have some metacam to give him.

He seems to be doing ok after the procedure. He's grooming and moving around his cage normally. He's also been eating hay/pellets and drinking.

So far, so good. Fingers crossed

Latest posts

Back