Is this weird?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fluffybuns

Reaction score
My 2 year old Mini Rex, Melvin has become quite obsessed with licking one specific pillow ALL THE TIME. He jumps into my bed and goes straight for it every time and will lick if for several minutes. One day I left him to it while I showered and got ready for work (30minutes) and came back to him STILL LICKING THE SAME PILLOW!! Its the oldest pillow I own (I've had it since I was a kid) and it's got sweat and slobber all over it (cuz I sleep on it every night). I give him nice new pillows and toys to lick but he just ignores everything and obsesses over getting his little tongue all over my old smelly sleepy-time pillow. He's such a little weirdo, does anyone else's bunny do this?

It's the salty taste of sweat he likes, my bunny likes to lick the inside of my boyfriend's cap that he wears and sweats in all the time too. You can buy him a salt lick to satisfy his craving, or just get the pillow dry-cleaned.

The weird thing is....he has several salt licks all over the place and he rarely touches them. He only loves the sweaty-slobbery old pillow. He's such a snob!

You know rabbits do not have seat glands and do not need salt licks.

Rabbits do need a certain amount of salt each day. It's a necessary component of their nutrition. Usually they will get this from their pellets. However, the pellets may not be providing the amount that is needed, so it doesn't hurt to provide a salt lick. If they don't need any more salt in their diet, then they won't use it.

Since your bun already has one and can lick it if he is needing the salt, maybe he is just 'grooming' your pillow because it smells like you... or maybe it just tastes good :p

Your bunny knows its dirty and is just trying to clean for you lol.

That's a good point, he's such a neat freak and loves to clean off the couch and other furniture when they're dirty. He must be overwhelmed by the amount of "me" on the pillow so he has to work double time to clean it! Great stuff!

Latest posts

Back