Is this vet for real??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alanna

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

Do you remember me? I'm Thumper :bambiandthumperthe little Tan who flew all the way from Switzerland to Malta! I love my new home- it's got a big hallway that I love to run up and down at top speed! Well, it seems that I'm going to get a new girlfriend:mrsthumper:- yipeeeee! But mum says I have to go to the vet's first (ugh!)... something about getting me "fixed"?:shock: ... I'm not broken! :grumpy:

This is Thumper's mum here: I just spoke to this vet to ask if she does the procedure and she answered me "well, yes... why not?" Not exactly confidence inspiring! She told me something else though that has got me worrying: she said that rabbits don't respond as well to the anaesthetic as cats and dogs so there's a greater risk involved!!! Should there really be any risk at all involved??? I told her I assumed rabbits would therefore need less anaethetic than a cat or dog and she said that they actually need more because of their metabolism. So, I just want to check with you, does that sound right to you? Is this really a safe thing for me to do? Has this vet given me the correct information, or should I start looking for another vet?

Thanks everyone!

Actually what she said was quite true: rabbits do need a pretty fair dose of anesthesia, because they metaobolize it so quickly. Why don't you ask her about the kind of anesthesia used? We prefer injectables for the rabbits. But gas anesthesia can be good too.

It sound more like she was just a little surprised that someone wanted their rabbit neutered and was being flippant. I hate it when they do that....but ask her and make sure if she's neutered rabbits before. She probably has. The actual surgery is no different than neutering a dog. (Cats, on the other hand, it is different from.)

I wouldn't say that there's a hugely greater risk if the vet gives the right anesthesia, particularly with neutering a developed male. Maybe a slightly greater risk, but nothing big enough to send a person into convulsions. Just make sure and ask what anesthesia technique she will use, including sedation beforehand.

Edit: I just wanted to make sure that *I* didn't sound flippant in my post. I know how worrysome it is when the vet is a little flippant. Just make sure and ask if she's fixed rabbits before.

Hi Thumper,

Ithing mum shouldask some more questions to the doctor. Your doctor is very correct in that rabbits deal with anesthesia much differently than dogs and cats. There is a fine line for error....too little and and the sedation will not be sufficient...too much or too long and the rabbit's defense mechanism can kick in. And there is risk in any medical procedure...there is risk in a human taking something like Tylenol. The key is to determine if the benefits outweigh the risks. In the hands of a skilled rabbit savvy doctor, this procedure is quite routine. We have had over a hundred neuters and only had one with a problem and that was quite minor. Neutering will obviously prevent unwanted pregnancies but it will also take care of the male territorial issue but more importantly, it will eliminate the possibility of testicular cancer. We have a cancer survivor in our rescue.

Some questions I would ask are.....How many rabbits have you neutered/spayed and what is your success rate? Can you provide client references? What are your pre-op protocols....do I remove food and water? What type of anesthesia do you use? What are your post-op protocols? Do you send my bunny home with pain meds? What should I do when I get him home? What food do I feed him? What do I look for as far as complications?

These questions will see if you have a rabbit savvy vet. The actual neutering procedure is pretty straight forward...the primary concern is the anesthesia. Hope this helps.

Randy

Thank you both very much, Ivory and Randy for your replies. You've definitely given me some good questions to be asking my vet. Now that I have this extra information, I do think she sounded like she knew what she was talking about: she told me that Thumpy could eat and drink normally leading up to the operation and that I should watch over him carefully for the 24 hours following the surgery. I will definitely be asking her about the sort of anaethesia she uses, post-op pain reliefand care, and danger signs to watch for after the surgery.

I'm also hoping the operation won't modify his behaviour too much; he's always been a very affectionate and playful bunny with a cheeky personality, soI hope it doesn't mellow him out too much.

Hi guys, it's me Thumpy again! I just got some photos of my new girlfriend and WOW! She's gorgeous! I think I'm in luuuuurrve!! :bunnyheartI wanna have lots and lots of babies with her! Now I just hope this "fixed" thing mum keeps talking about won't interfere with that... hmmmmm.....

Alanna,

I am in total agreement with Randy about your needing to ask the vet lots of questions. When we picked our vet I took in 2 typed pages of things to ask. I knew he was the vet for us by his answers...I went knowing what he "should" say (part in thanks to Randy :)). I also knew he was the vet for us because he patiently answered every little question and never seemed to mind one bit - though I was probably like a policeman interrogating a criminal :biggrin2:.

I wish you well.

-Mary Ellen

(Note to Thumper from our new, unnamed mini-Rex: "Thumps, they have me scheduled for fixing in 2 weeks. I don't know what it means either, but after that I get to live with an older woman...so it must be something good.")

Just wanted to say Im happy to see you two again!

Everyone has given you great advice, so I dont have much to add, but just one thing- not sure if you knew this but you have to wait 6-8 weeks after Thumper is neutered before you can introduce him to an unspayed female. A lot of people dont know and assume its fine after the male has healed and then wind up with babies. Id wait 2 mo to be sure!

Good luck and keep us posted!

Ginger%20Sunbeds%20LR.jpg
Here is Ginger, Thumpers new Girlfriend

Back