Is this teenage behavior?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnyLove89

Reaction score
So lately Weston has been testing my patience. He is probably around 4.5 months.
He gets playtime on my bed every night while i'm watching tv. Lately every time I get up he runs over to my spot where I sit/lay and leaves a couple poos there as well as occassionally peeing. For awhile I retired the potty pads but since he's started leaving me presents i've gone back to putting them on a couple of my pillows. On any given night he will spend almost the entire time in my bed crumpling the potty pads up. I've tried clapping, flicking water on him, and saying "no" loudly. Nothing works. He's also started trashing his area. He has 2 litter boxes and he dumps one of them and drags the box around and he piles up all of his toys and blankets. His messy area isn't that big of a deal, it just looks like I don't keep up with it.
Is this something I can correct, or is he just being a typical teenage bun?

It could be teenage behavior OR maybe not.

Unfortunately there is something about couches and beds. They smell like us and sometimes I think they just like to pee there :(

Digging and rearranging can also be typical bunny behavior. Agnes is the sweetest bun, but she definitely doesn't like my decorating style in her condo, haha, and she rearranges EVERYthing.

So long answer short, it might turn out that a snip could fix these or it might turn out it's just his personality. Either way, I would still snip though. I think it just makes them all around better buns.

Good luck!

Good news! I got mine neutered at 6 months, he hasn't used my futon as a litter box ever.since! Make sure you get him neutered early so that it doesn't become a habit. As for trashing the litter box, try putting it the whole box inside a large tupperware (or the bottom of a small cage) that is too big for him to tip. That way you can contain the mess. I made it so that pandas hay tray rests over the same thing. That way all the litter/stray hay is contained and much easier to clean! I'm sure you'll figure out some tricks of your own for your little monster ;-)

My Itztli is a girl, but her teens were filled with so much random peeing that I ran to the vet fearing a urinary tract infection. Everything checked out fine, and my vet told me rabbits are second only to humans when it comes to the terrible teens. Good luck, and know that this won't last forever!

Back