Is this rabbit food good for bunnies?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Holland Lops1247

Reaction score
A healthy rabbit food has no add-ins. The plain pellets are much healthier than anything with seeds, nuts and dried fruit added in. That's just junk food for rabbits.
Oxbow Essentials, Sherwood Forest Natural Food are 2 healthy pellet foods I can think of off the top of my head.
Of course, if you switch foods, it should be done gradually -- over a week or so. Just mix the current with the new during that time.

Oh... wait. I just saw that your avatar says your buns are only 5 weeks old? Then they need a juvenile rabbit food. Oxbow & Sherwood have pellets specifically designed for babies. They should also have unlimited hay.

Blue eyes wrote:
A healthy rabbit food has no add-ins. The plain pellets are much healthier than anything with seeds, nuts and dried fruit added in. That's just junk food for rabbits.
Oxbow Essentials, Sherwood Forest Natural Food are 2 healthy pellet foods I can think of off the top of my head.
Of course, if you switch foods, it should be done gradually -- over a week or so. Just mix the current with the new during that time.

Oh... wait. I just saw that your avatar says your buns are only 5 weeks old? Then they need a juvenile rabbit food. Oxbow & Sherwood have pellets specifically designed for babies. They should also have unlimited hay.
Hi! Thanks for replying. I have read babies SHOULDN'T have hay at all. Not until they are considered full adults.

Not true, young ones can have hay. Some recommend giving them alfalfa hay when they're young, which you can get at a pet store. At your buns age it's important to give them hay to keep their digestive system healthy. Pellets and hay is all they need right now.

All rabbits need hay. Most recommend alfalfa for babies, but not everyone does it or knows to and their buns are okay on timothy hay.. but they do need some.

Latest posts

Back