Is this okay?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoLittleBuns

Reaction score
Bentley has a normal rabbit cage (just a wire cage enclosed on all sides with a litter pan underneath).....But when I am doing laundry/dishes/or something where I can't be watching him, I put him into a little play-pen thing. It's just wire (like chicken wire) with an open top. It has lots of room for him to run around and I like him to be there because I know he can move more freely and get excersize.

So now my question is.....Is it safe to leave him in there permanently? He has never jumped over the fence or even attempted to (atleast while I'm there). He just has his regular things in the pen with him like his water bottle, littler box, a basket, food bowl, salt lick, and hay feeder.

I would like to be able to leave him in there instead of the cage just because I know it's a little more comfortable for him. Any ideas on whether or not I should do this?

I'm assuming he's inside.
Sometimes chicken wire is small enough that they can chew through, but if it's sturdy with holes that he can't fit through and tall enough that he can't jump over (be careful about hide boxes and stuff they can use as steps to make an escape) it should certainly be okay to give him a larger space like that.

I'm also assuming that you don't have any cats or other pets that could jump in and get to him.

Yes, he is inside. And the wire is thicker than chicken wire (the boyfriend used it to build Herman's hutch) so I'm not worried about him chewing through it.

And I have a cat but they have gotten along for over a year now, I'm not worried about that. The cat and him are out running about the house all the time.

Thank you for your opinion. :)

I say why not? Try letting him stay in that area for a day and see if you have any problems. As long as you can make sure that the wiring/fencing is secure it sounds like he should be okay to stay in the enclosed area.

Back