Is this normal?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

button+banjo

Reaction score

Attachments

• 20180801_145922.jpg
    20180801_145922.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 19
Since the suggestions on the related thread - to be sure they have plenty of hay throughout the night - , how long have they now been getting unlimited hay 24/7?

It could be that their system is beginning to adjust to getting that needed hay.

On that thread you mentioned Oxbow timothy hay and then "their regular hay." What is their "regular hay?"

Since the suggestions on the related thread - to be sure they have plenty of hay throughout the night - , how long have they now been getting unlimited hay 24/7?

It could be that their system is beginning to adjust to getting that needed hay.

On that thread you mentioned Oxbow timothy hay and then "their regular hay." What is their "regular hay?"
It's Small Pet Select 2nd cutting timothy.

I finally got them the 48" crate and now I have enough space to just put a pile of hay in their cage at night, not use hay feeders. They are definitely eating more hay now, and the cecotrope problem seems to have maybe gotten better a little bit? They seem happier but still leaving cecotropes on the porch during the day (with hay always available)

I attached pictures of their old cage and new cage (they love having more room at night).

20180811_215704_LLS (1).jpg
20180811_215623_LLS (1).jpg

Last edited:
If you are still having problems with cecotropes being left uneaten after giving them more hay(free feeding it, unlimited), next I would try splitting their pellets into two feedings 12 hours apart, instead of one feeding a day. I would give that a week or two and if they are still producing excess cecals I would reduce the pellet amount from 1/3 cup(split into two feedings) a day to 1/4 cup(split into two feedings) a day and see how they do on that. It is possible that they are just very sensitive to pellets and don't do well on a lot. Remember with any food changes it's important to keep an eye on their weight/body condition. You want them staying at a healthy weight and not getting bony along the back and hindquarters. Also monitor water consumption and make sure it doesn't drastically increase or decrease.

One other thing to consider is whether or not something could be distracting them at a particular time or place, and causing them to leave some cecals uneaten. Being distracted is one possible cause of uneaten cecals.

If you are still having problems with cecotropes being left uneaten after giving them more hay(free feeding it, unlimited), next I would try splitting their pellets into two feedings 12 hours apart, instead of one feeding a day. I would give that a week or two and if they are still producing excess cecals I would reduce the pellet amount from 1/3 cup(split into two feedings) a day to 1/4 cup(split into two feedings) a day and see how they do on that. It is possible that they are just very sensitive to pellets and don't do well on a lot. Remember with any food changes it's important to keep an eye on their weight/body condition. You want them staying at a healthy weight and not getting bony along the back and hindquarters. Also monitor water consumption and make sure it doesn't drastically increase or decrease.

One other thing to consider is whether or not something could be distracting them at a particular time or place, and causing them to leave some cecals uneaten. Being distracted is one possible cause of uneaten cecals.
Thanks so much @JBun

Back