is this normal

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Growling usually means she is upset or agressive. Is she normally a pretty tame rabbit? Or is she still nervous around you?

Also is she spayed?
[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"] Having your bun spayed can greatly reduce the aggression and territorial behaviour.

:)

~Amy

[/font]

We only got her on friday evening but the owner said she was tame and she lets me stroke her as long as she is in her hutch. Ithink she is spayed and she is very nervous she was just running around a closed in area, jumping and standing her hind legs (when i say jumping her bottom hutch door is off the ground so she jumps on and off to get in and out.

My mum is thinking of getting a Guinnea Pig for my little sister, would this make him calm and less upset having some company

I wouldn't suggest keeping a guinea pig with a rabbit. Even if they're the same size, rabbits have very strong hind legs and have been known to accidently hurt guinea pigs if they mount them (which they do for dominance, not just sex) or if they're scared and trample over the piggy. Plus they don't behave the same socially. The best friend for a rabbit is another spayed/neutered rabbit.

She's very new so she's probably scared and just needs to get used to her new home. Give her some time and let her get to know you. Many rabbits consider it an invasion if you pet them or pick them up in their cages/hutches, and females do tend to be more territorial of their cages especially if they aren't spayed.

i have been told that it asking for trouble putting another rabbit in whether spayed neutered or not they will fight it through was what we were told and my mum dont want kittens :(

That's because you can't just stick one rabbit in another rabbit's cage. Rabbits have hierarchies and are territorial, so when you introduce them you need to let them work out who's dominant without letting them hurt each other. After that they become friends, and once they have been friends for a while you can put them together in one rabbits "territory" (cage).

There's lots of info on bonding rabbits here:
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12072&forum_id=17

And I really like this site in particular.
http://www.mybunnies.com/bonding.htm

If you are interested in getting your rabbit a friend, you should call a rabbit rescue. They'll help find a rabbit that your's will like by doing short introductions called "bunny dates" and seeing how they react. They'll be able to give you lots of advice and will sometimes even take the rabbits for a week or two and bond them for you if you want.

Oh, and spay/neuter is essential. Never introduce two rabbits together if they're opposite genders and not spayed/neutered. It also helps with territoriality.

Nope! But a rescue is definately the best place if you want them to get along. They can give you the most help. Usually rescue rabbits are already spayed/neutered but the price is less than the cost of the surgery. So you actually end up saving money in that way.

does anyone in england no where the is a rabbit rescue? Im thinking of adoptig another Dutch rabbit t obond with Dribbles my 2 year old female Dutch rabbit

rabbit_5211.jpg
im thinking about this rabbit few months old and neutered and she is called alice.

http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/moreinfo.asp?RabID=5211

She is soo adorable (but im bias with dutch rabbits :)). If you do consider adopting her, just make sure you read up on bonding! Two rabbits can kill eachother or severely injure one another if they are just thrown in with one another without proper introductions.

Just ask Binkies, she brought home little debbie (a baby dutch) and let her meet her two girls..one girl, Tulla, took a huge chunk out of Debbie's side..and Binkies felt so terrible for not knowing about properly introducing them.

Make sure you are very well informed before you bring another bun home. Also, remember that you need to be prepared for 2x the food cost and 2x the expense of vet bills. If you cant afford to prove that, then maybe you should rethink getting a second rabbit.

Hope this helps, dont want to sound harsh or anything, I just know that you are a first time rabbit owner and you should be aware of all this before taking on a second...they can be a lot of work!

Good Luck!

-Haley

Hello i wouldnt need to worry about vet bills as my parents are on benifits.

I read that if you are going to introduce a second rabbit to introduce them together on nuturel ground and to keep them appart untill you think they get along properly.

I not worryed about the food cost as i was going to adopt a guinnea pig but was advised not to do it.

I dont think you sound harsh i think you were helpful pointing out the facts but im not sure whether to get her now you have told me about Debbie as i dont want another rabbit to suffer because of me.

Glad youre reading up on bonding and everything..its best to really be informed before bringing another bun home. The main thing I would tell you is that unless you take Dribbles with you and he picks out a friend, you need to consider the possibility that they may have to be housed in separate cages.

I had brought a little dutch boy (that we thought to be a girl) home to my other boy Basil. They hated eachother and really tried to hurt eachother. I was later able to bond them (after months of neutral area training) but they were housed in separate cages for about a year. Im lucky, they may have never been friends and then I would have had to keep them apart forever.

I just wantedyou to be aware that unless Dribbles picks out a mate herself, bondingcan be very difficult. You have to be willing to put in a lot of time into it, and possiblyaccept that sometimes twp bunnies just cant get along.

As long as you are aware of all the possible outcomes to getting a second bunny, you should be fine. Now that Basil and Max (my two dutch boys) are friends, I cant imagine how Basil got along by himself. Its nice that he has someone to keep him company while Im away....

Hope this helps you make a decision. Its great thatyou are considering a rescue!

Good Luck!

-Haley

PS....check out www.rabbit.org in addition to this website. If you look under behavior, it gives you loads of info on bonding and introductions. Also, its a great site for info on health, care, behavior etc. Its helped me a lotalong the way!

Latest posts

Back