is this normal :S ?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

butsy

Reaction score
okayso last night i cleaned out butsy's cage and everything was normal . well this morning i went to feed her and give her her veggies when i saw this big huge clump of poop. its like the size of a ping pong ball, it was all gewwy ... it almost looks like a scoop of ice cream :S ?? and it wasnt her she usualy does her buisness.. what could it be? i checked her other poops and they are all normal .... i'm worried !

I would just keep an eye on her. If her poop becomes all mushy than she has GI upset. That may be related to something she is eating. If all her current poop is fine I would still just keep a close watch.

Do you think it is feces or cecal poop? The reason I ask is because if her cecum has a bacterial imbalance, she might have strange mushy cecal poops, and the other part of the digestive tract, the large intesine, might have a normal bacterial composition. I would definitely give her some probiotic today, and see if that helps. You should keep an eye on her for lethargy or more of this kind of poop. Also, try to limit food that is high in sugar or carbs.

whats probiotics? and i dont know what kind of poop it is... like i said, it was just one chunk .. the rest of her poop is normal !. i willl keep an eye on her. i am just worried, nothing drastic will happen to her right ?

Probiotics are good bacteria that live in the GI tract. They sell them for people and bunnies. In the US, we can usually find them at the big pet stores, as a product called Bene-Bac, or at farm supply stores as a product called ProBios. In Canada, it seems to be harder to find them. You can look at the pet store but another thing that will work is to go to the human pharmacy or health food store and buy acidophilus capsules. They'll be little pills you can cut open and sprinkle the contents onto the food. Don't give any milk products that contain acidophilus--the capsules are the best option.

The rabbit GI tract has a really delicate balance of good and bad bacteria. One whole section of the GI tract, the cecum, is where these bacteria ferment normally undigestible things, like hay, into things that the rabbit's body can process and gain nutrients from. The bacteria process these things, and the final product is called cecals which are eaten by the rabbit. Normally they look like a blackberry or a small cluster of grapes. Usually we don't see our bunnies eating them or see them left on the floor because they eat them right when they're made. If a bunny doesn't eat them, or they are abnormal in shape or texture, something may be wrong. A different shape or texture usually means that the bacteria in the cecum aren't normal.

Abnormal bacteria in the cecum can be pretty serious, but probiotics and a diet that is low in carbohydrates/sugars, and limited in protein should clear it up in a few days. The bad bacteria in the cecum can overgrow the good so that they are the predominant population there. The watery stool can lead to dehydration, plus the rabbit's not getting the right nutrients because they're not eating it. The bacteria themselves can be pretty dangerous if they grow out of control too, poisoning the rabbit's blood. The bad bacteria thrive on carbohydrates and sugars. I have had bunnies get problems like this after eating too many treats.

okay thanks !! . i think it may be the hay ... we bought a new kind, and it comes with dried veggies in it .. the girl said its the best stuff to buy .. there is veggie medley, flower power etc.

butsy wrote:
okay thanks !! . i think it may be the hay ... we bought a new kind, and it comes with dried veggies in it .. the girl said its the best stuff to buy .. there is veggie medley, flower power etc.
Interesting. What is the brand?

I think she'll be fine while you're gone, I wouldn't worry. Its always good to mix the old hay with the new hay, though.

It's actually always a good idea to always mix brands and varieties of hay. And pellets, veggies and everything else for that matter.

sas :bunnydance:

the brand is sunaturals select . the kinds are : summer sweet alfalfa, sweet grass timothy hay( for fussy eaters) spring harverst timothy hay, vegy medley timothy, flower power timothy, and fruit boost timothy.

Can I ask a big favor? Can you type out the ingredients?

I'm very leary about this company. Sun Seed wasn't great but wasn't too too bad, but they were bought out by Vitakraft, one of the very worst, so I don't have high hopes for this stuff. Most of their products are either not appealing (their dyed 'stick' treats, etc) or the rabbits love them because they're loaded with fat, sugar and starches.

They have limited info online, but from what I see, the 'veggies' in the mix seems to be just corn and peas, and neither are good choices.

I'd really stick with a mix of regular hay if that's the case. Although the flower power 'might' not be bad, at least in principle. I'd love to see the contents of that one, too, if anybody has that one.

sas :thanks:

i have the veggie one and fruit one ! i will type then in when i get the chance :p its 11 pm here so i dont wanna turn the lights on and wake everyone up haha. so i should stick to the regular stuff ? what about the sweet grass?

Back