Is this Mean to Do?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lady_TOX

Reaction score
I just got Yuki at the shelter on the 11th and on the 17th she gave birth to two kits, one died. When it turns 8 weeks I'm having to choose on what to do. I don't really have the room for both. My family and I are really in love with this new kit, who is a week and two days old now. Plus I've been handling her a lot so she can get used to humans. Well my grandmother whom I live with says I can't keep both. I understand why too it just sucks. Everyone including me wants to keep the baby. I love yuki though too. My mind keeps thinking that it's horrible to give Yuki up because I haven't bonded with her that much and I think since its younger and not set in her ways that it would be easier to make a bond. But I got Yuki because I wanted a rabbit but then the babies came. What are your guys thoughts on Yuki and the baby. Do you think it's wrong that I want the baby more then my original choice In rabbit?

Maybe you should give it more time before making that sort of decision. You just got Yuki on the 11th. Bonding with any animal takes compassion and patience.

Yuki doesn't seem to like me all that much and she doesn't get along with my mother and boyfriend only me sort of.

It took a year before Sophie trusted me and I could say that our bond became stronger and yet still it's a continual work in progress. What exactly are you expecting from your rabbit? Honestly, expecting to form a bond that quickly isn't realistic.

I know it isn't, but I have eight weeks to decide and everyone keeps pushing me towards the baby because Yuki doesn't trust anyone else, and with me its shakey. I understand why she doesn't its only been two weeks. I wish I could keep both so I'm not forced to decide, she's aggressive towards my bf and mother so they don't like her. And there not willing to wait it out for her to get less aggressive towards them. I keep telling them that's it's because she was pregnant and then had a baby she's trying to protect it and she doesn't know them that well

Well that's a tough situation you're in and understandable. Keep in mind that if you get yuki spayed she may calm down and be less aggressive. Or not. Obviously you did not bet on getting two rabbits and did a great thing by adopting yuki. I would agree on giving it more time. You are still learning about rabbit care and all that, so give it time and do what feels right to you. Maybe your grandmother will have a change of heart or maybe fate will somehow intervene. I do love those pics of the kit though, it's fun watching him grow, so keep posting :)

Tough choice. The others are right in that once Yuki is spayed she may calm down, but it's so hard not to love baby rabbits. Try working with Yuki until you have to make that decision.

:yeahthat: I was also going to say that what the baby will be like when it grows up is anyone's guess. Almost all babies seem docile and cuddly and compliant. But this can change completely once bunny matures. Jbun just explained all this on a recent reply on another thread. (I'll try to find and link it) But basically, she explained how she had babies that were handled and cared for daily and yet still turned out to be rabbits that would not tolerate being held. The major point of that thread had been that the personalities of baby rabbits always seem irresistibly sweet, but that can drastically change with the onset of adulthood.

Even at 8 weeks of age, you won't be able to tell -- at all -- what that rabbit's personality will turn out to be. On the other hand, poor Yuki has had a very tough time of things. When you decided to bring her home, she barely had a chance to adjust when she had her babies. Now she's a brand new momma. It just seems that it would be great if someone would spay her and give her a stable home finally. You seem so conscientious about wanting to do her right. That will have to be a decision for you to make as to what would be best.

Just bear in mind that a rabbit's personality isn't visible when it's still a baby and it isn't really going to be influenced much by lots of early handling. I'll try to find or quote that informative post from JBun. If I can't find it quick enough, I'll add a separate reply...

here's the thread:
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/showthread.php?t=83298

And here's part of a quote from Jbun (Jenny)

"Being that you are new to rabbits and don't have the experience yet, you are making some wrong assumptions about them. First off, rabbits are not at all like dogs or cats, so socializing them is very different. Socializing a baby rabbit has limited impact on what they will be like as adults. It can make some difference for a rabbit to be raised from a baby, being used to being handled and around people, but each rabbits individual personality can have a far greater impact on what they will end up as as an adult. Example, I have 10 rabbits, 7 that I raised as babies. One of the babies, a dwarf hotot, I held all of the time when she was younger, loved cuddling and was completely fine with being held. She hit those teenage years and everything changed. She detests being picked up now and being held. She'll struggle and grunt at me, and fly out of my arms if I'm not keeping a good hold of her. She was spayed, is 2 now, and is still the same. It's just her personality. She isn't terribly people friendly and likes to be just left alone to play, but is totally fine with people being around her as long as they don't try and touch her. Even with her bunny friends that she grew up with, she is a bit of a loner now and likes to be off napping by herself instead of snuggling with the rest of them. She was completely different as a baby than she became as an adult, despite being socialized and held all of the time.

One of my rabbits that died earlier this year, I got as an adult. He was a one year old dwarf hotot and wasn't socialized or handled much before he came to me, and as a result was very nervous being around people and being handled. This lead to him getting sick, in which I had to handle him constantly for several weeks, hand feeding him and giving him meds. As a result of this handling, he got used to me and actually he turned out to be the sweetest most affectionate boy. Whereas the 4 baby dwarf hotots that I raised from birth, were constantly handled, held, and around people, this didn't make them any more people friendly or like being held. They are grown up now and are 2 yrs. old, and are all sweet bunnies, but all of that socialization as babies certainly didn't make them really people friendly or like being picked up and held. They are used to people and house sounds, but none of them are particularly cuddly(though a few do like their nose rubs), don't really want to interact with people much, and though they tolerate being held because they have no choice, none of them really likes it. So despite all of the socialization as babies, their adult personalities win in the end. Breeders can make an educated guess on a rabbits personality, based on what the bunnies parents are like, but they can no more predict the personality a rabbit will end up with than any of the rest of us non breeders can .

Last edited:
I think its would be really mean and disloyal to Yuki to get rid of her. It made me sad reading this. If you get rid of her you may as well euthanise her because she's an adult and no one will want her. Poor Yuki no one loves her. This makes me really sad :(

I got Clementine at 8 weeks old. She was a lovely, affectionate, snuggly, cuddly bun. A few months later her adult personality came through, and she became aloof and cranky. I love her to bits either way, but my point is that her personality changed a LOT as she grew from a baby into an adult bun. Don't count on the baby being a sweet snuggly thing as it gets older. I don't think it's fair on Yuki to take that risk.

I don't think it is mean, I just think you should definitely give it time.

I am a new bunny owner and when I got my bunny I was told he was friendly and litter trained. However, for the first long while he was not litter trained and he was ind of shy, didn't really like to be picked up etc. I gave him a couple days and it didn't get better. At that time, I very much considered getting rid of him. My plan at the time was to contact an SPCA to find a home for him but I would offer to keep him until then and donate his stuff with him.

What ended up happening was I made a strict plan about litter training and how I was gonna try to teach him. And I told myself that if it didn't work I would go ahead with my SPCA plan.

In the end with a lot of patience everything worked out and he is litter trained and though still sassy about picked up and handling, he is getting better.

I do not however think that in my case it would have been mean to get rid of the rabbit. I did a lot of research and I knew I wanted to keep one free range and therefore needed the litter training. I specifically only considered rabbits who were friendly and litter trained to ensure a good match. I didn't get what I researched and was prepared for. I did understand that it was at no fault of the rabbit's and that was why I was prepared to work together with an SPCA to find a suitable home for him.

What I am saying is that I do not think it is mean for you to want to keep one of the babies instead however give it a lot of time. Time for Yuki and you to bond more and also time to see how the little bunny turns out!

Also keep in mind some that some things are more important than cuddliness. For one, my favourite thing about my bunny Shredder is that he is not destructive! He doesn't chew cords, base boards or anything. He is a very chill little bunny.

Good luck! :)

This is very hard on me which is why I came here for advice. I don't want a rabbit for just the cuddliness, I figured that it would be a better fit for the fam because she would be used to us already and hopefully not aggressive. Yuki has already bit (hard, blood) kicked and pushed my bf and mother because she does not like them at the moment. They don't like her because of that even tho I explain. It's because all of this is new to her, new home, being pregnant and then new baby. And it hasn't been long at all, but I do have to make a choice by the time eight weeks roll around. I hate it, I would keep both if I could but I can't. Yukis aggression towards my other family members could be still the same by the eight week. I know the kit attitude could and will change and behave more different then it is now, and I have to look at what fits in my family. And I would be **** sure to find her a home and not the shelter. But I love Yuki as well she seems to like me better then the other people, and she's beautiful. She plays fetch kinda lol(still learning) with me she's okay but with family she isn't. Ugh god this is so sucky. =( when do rabbits become adults? Maybe I can keep both till the kit reaches adult hood so we can see her personality better and it gives Yuki more time to settle in and be relaxed here and get to know the family. Then I can make a better descion on this. Ethier way I would find them a good home.

Also not trying to be disloyal to her I love her dearly and adore her but I also have to look at what's the best fit for my family

I'm sorry but where do I post a thread!?!? I can never find where, its ridiculous!

I'm sorry but where do I post a thread!?!? I can never find where, its ridiculous!

Click "forum" in the green bar at the top of the page. From there you can choose the category that fits your post topic. (for example: "Health & Wellness")

Once you are on the correct topic, look on the left side for a button that says "New Thread" -- that will allow you to post a new thread. Be sure to title it specifically (for example: "bunny stopped eating" rather than "help")

@ Lady Tox, rabbits are considered adults at 6-7 months of age. However, hormonal behavior can begin as early as 3 1/2 to 4 months and continue.

I'm sorry you have to make such a decision. Hopefully time will allow Yuki to get more settled and begin to win more hearts.

Okay so to allow Yuki more time to get settled and to like the other members in my home, and to see the personality of the kit develop I'll keep both.

Something to keep in mind(which I'm sure you are) is that a doe's general disposition can change with pregnancy and nursing. Some does can be quite cranky before giving birth, some can be cranky and protective after giving birth. My doe was a big grump when I first got her, would grunt and box at me, then after she had the babies she was so much sweeter. So it could be that your buns personality could change a bit once she finishes nursing. But it is understandably a difficult situation for you. The biting may resolve itself when she weans the baby, but if the biting issue continues to be a problem, it's certainly not easy to deal with a biting rabbit, especially when there are other family members involved in the decision.

One thing that may help your bun to form a positive association with other family members, is for them to offer her treats so that she associates them with good things, making sure to do it safely so no one gets bit. You also want the timing of giving the treat to be when she is behaving so that you aren't rewarding 'bad' behavior. You can use her usual veggies or something that she absolutely loves. You only have to use a very small piece and want to make sure if using sugary treats, not to overdo them(don't use if they cause digestive upset). Training her to do tricks with a treat reward can also sometimes be a good thing to help an animal change negative behaviors as the animal has something to focus on and learns that certain desirable behaviors have a reward.

It may be that by the time the baby needs to be weaned, your family will have fallen in love with both rabbits and you won't have to choose. But if you do, sometimes you just have to make the best choice possible for your situation.

Last edited:
Back