Is This Hair Loss?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenk

Reaction score
I'm embarrassed at having to ask this question; I thought that I was keeping a good eye on my new Cali boy. But this morning, I took a long gander at his ears and wondered to myself, "Were they always this bald-looking, and I just didn't notice?"

Does a Cali's ears normally look this way? (The skin near the base of his ears and upper temple area looks noticeably pink, too--moreso than the skin on the rest of his body.)

IMG_5230.jpg

Jenk

Did she lose hair on her ears due to her pregnancy, or were her ears always like that (and she just happened to be pregnant when the pic was taken)? :D

If pregnancy stressesthe body and can cause hair loss, then I'm mystified; my new guy is certainly not pregnant. ;)

Looks normal to me...of course I often don't know what I'm talking about :p

But yeah, I think that's normal and my bunnies' ears can look like that also, especially if the light is hitting them a certain way.

Little Bay Poo wrote:
But yeah, I think that's normal and my bunnies' ears can look like that also, especially if the light is hitting them a certain way.
It's not a lighting issue; he definitely has much thinner hair on one half of each of his ears. I don't see that much of a hair/non-hair contrast on my girls' ears, which is why I really started to wonder.

Jenk wrote:
It's not a lighting issue; he definitely has much thinner hair on one half of each of his ears. I don't see that much of a hair/non-hair contrast on my girls' ears, which is why I really started to wonder.
Maybe a difference in the breeds. I've actually never seen a Californian in person, but the few pictures I can find online where the angle is right and I can see the backs of the ears looks similar to your boy.

Jenk wrote:
Did she lose hair on her ears due to her pregnancy, or were her ears always like that (and she just happened to be pregnant when the pic was taken)? :D

If pregnancy stressesthe body and can cause hair loss, then I'm mystified; my new guy is certainly not pregnant. ;)
I was stating she was pregnant because she was so fat....it never even dawned on me someone might associate the look of her ears with hormones or something..

I don't know if this is at all relevant, but Snowy has really pink skin, being a REW, and the fur on the backs of her ears isn't particularly thick, but it shows up a lot, because her skin is so pink looking... :dunno

But yeah, Snowy's ears are quite 'thin on the ground' like that...

TinysMom wrote:
I was stating she was pregnant because she was so fat....it never even dawned on me someone might associate the look of her ears with hormones or something..
:laugh:

Furring on the ears can vary by individual as well as by breed. In some breeds, a well-furred ear is a desired trait.

There is little consideration on the ears of a show or production Cal, so the furring of the ears (or lack of) is of little concern to breeders.

Pam

pamnock wrote:
Furring on the ears can vary by individual as well as by breed. In some breeds, a well-furred ear is a desired trait.
Well, a half-furred ear is at least somewhat unique. :biggrin2:

Latest posts

Back