Is this food alright?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniLopMad

Reaction score
I'm currently using Oxbow pellets but its $30 for a 2kg bag and it costs a lot of money when you buy 2 of those each week plus a $40 bag of hay. So, question is, is this food safe to use? It's just my emergency food and I was wondering if I could use if all the time. If not, what's some good, cheapish food suitable for bunnies.

View attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1423465520.605713.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1423465542.284675.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1423465562.209688.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1423465579.383054.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1423465592.765521.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1423465608.273328.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1423465622.127061.jpg

Thanks very much :)

I wouldn't feed it to your bun cause of all those seeds and corn. If you want a cheaper rabbit food check out Manna Pro. It's around $15 for a 50lb bag. You can get it at stores that sell feed like tractor supply and agway. I've been feeding it to my rabbits for 5 years now and they all have liked it and it keeps thier coats nice and soft

The only item I can't identify is the small reddish balls. The rest looks pretty much okay to me to use as a backup feed. Some may debate the small amount of processed corn bits. I don't know that I'd use it as their main pellet though...there's nothing wrong with BOSS, but it can be fattening if given too much. Do you have the nutrition information on, like protein, fiber, etc?

Yeah, I wasn't sure about the corn or reddish balls :(
It's just a food that comes from my local pet store. It doesn't say anything on the packet about ingredients or anything which is annoying. I'll be sure to check out the food you guys recommended!

I was wondering the age of your rabbit. If she is over 6 months, then a 5-7 lb rabbit only needs 1/8 - 1/4 cup of pellets per day. That is just so little. When I used Oxbow, I bought it in bulk (50lb bag). Then I separated it into ziplok bags and kept them in the refridge. The price was considerably cheaper that way.

The hay also sounds pricey. I might spend $20-$30 per year on hay and I am v e r y generous with hay. They get about a gallon size portion of hay twice per day. I buy hay by the bale from a feed store. Perhaps that could be an option for the hay.

It definitely sounds like you are over paying for rabbit food and hay. Do a little research and check some different stores. I'm not sure where you live, but where I live we have IFA, Cal Ranch, and Fleet n Farm. All three of these sell rabbit food for a lot less. If your rabbit is old enough it doesn't need all the extras. You can give healthy treats once in a while instead.

I have 3 rabbits at the moment - two pregnant does and a little boy. All 3 get the young rabbit pellets and I don't give unlimited even though the packet says so. I was giving Chilli 1/4 a cup of adult pellets before he died. I'm in Australia, so the only place I could find oxbow pellets and Timothy hay is at a pet shop which gets the stuff imported from America. I've switched to cheaper Oaten and Meadow hay and its lasting ages and was only half the price of the Timothy hay :)

Last edited:
Do you have access to purchasing hay in larger quantities? Anything that's good for horses should be alright for rabbits although avoid alfalfa (lucerne) for adults and try to pick a grass hay.

I know of a few farm feed stores - I'll take a look at them and see if they sell bales of good hay :)

Latest posts

Back