Is this everything I'll need for a bunny?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happatk

Reaction score
Here's my list, straight off of my Petsmart.com wishlist.

quantity
[align=left] Super Pet My First Home Extra Large Cage

Item#:2753290

[/align] Large Clean Living Playpen

Item#:2751767
[align=left] Clean Living Playpen Cover

Item#:2751770

[/align]javascript:doMyRemove(3, 0) Purina® Yesterday's News® Small Animal Bedding and Litter
Pet Type:Rabbit Litter 10 lb

Item#:2751592
[align=left] Super Pet Clean Cage Deodorizer

Item#:2753296

[/align] Small Pet Cage Cleaner

Item#:2753346

[align=left] All Living Things® Water Bottles for Small Animals
Size:Rabbit (32 oz)

Item#:2752722

[/align] All Living Things® Nibble Bowls
Size:Large

Item#:2752726

[align=left] Oxbow Bunny Basics/T Rabbit Food

Item#:3135803

[/align] Super Pet Clean Critter Wipes

Item#:2753305

[align=left] Oxbow Botanical Hay

Item#:3135805

[/align] Super Pet Pro Slicker Brush

Item#:2753336

[align=left] Ware Manufacturing Nature Balls - 3pc

Item#:3155595

[/align] Ware Treat-K-Bob

Item#:2751782

[align=left] Hop-py Harvest™ Rabbit Toys

Item#:2754692

[/align] Super Pet Come Along Small Pet Carriers
Size:Medium (13.5"Lx9"Wx8.5"H)

Item#:2753365

[align=left] Vitakraft® Rabbit Wildberry Stick

Item#:2750455

[/align] Vitakraft® Carrot Slims for Rabbits

Item#:2750464

happatk wrote:
Purina® Yesterday's News® Small Animal Bedding and Litter
Pet Type:Rabbit Litter 10 lb

The stuff for cat is cheaper and basically the same. Horse stall bedding (wood pellets) is much cheaper.

[align=left] Super Pet Clean Cage Deodorizer[/align][align=left]White vinegar will work and is cheaper.

[/align] Small Pet Cage Cleaner
See above ^

Super Pet Clean Critter Wipes

A damp cloth will do the same thing. Rabbit don't really need them anyway.
[align=left] Vitakraft® Rabbit Wildberry Stick
[/align][align=left]Seeds and such are not good for rabbits.

[/align] Vitakraft® Carrot Slims for Rabbits

Not the best treat you can get. Small pieces of fruit is much better. If you can get the Oxbow pellets and hay, see if you can get the treats too.

I think the Bunny Basics T is for adult rabbits, you'll need a higher protein if you get a baby, I think Bunny Basics 15/23 is for growing rabbits.

I'd just get the x-pen and put a box in it, and I wouldn't bother with the cage. If you really want the cage, put a cardboard 'hidey box' in it low enough to jump on top of.

Or as noted in the other threads, its simple and far more interesting for the rabbit to build a cage from the cube shelving panels. You can have a more flexible shape and multi-levels, and it will be quite a bit cheaper.

Most of the rest other than the hay, Oxbow pellets, the litter, water bottle and the carrier, is junk.

None of my bunnies will touch the pet store toys or Vitakcraft stuff.

Put an ad on craigslist or email organic gardeners asking for pesticide-free apple and/or pear branchs, or even willow. If you just rub off any dirt or moss and put it in the oven until it's dry, it will be far healthier for their teeth and gut.

Take an empty paper towel roll and stuff it with hay. Find old baby toys they can grab and rattle. Get creative with building a 'fort' out of cardboard boxes.

As noted above, vinegar is a far better cleaner. And you get more hair off by 'petting' the bunny with wet hands.

I shake my head every time I see what pet stores carry. I don't think the suppliers have ever had small pets!

You're doing an awesome job on research, the care and concern your taking is awesome!! You're already a great bunny slave. That will be one very lucky bunny!

sas :bunnydance:

Not to hijack this thread, but what all would you have in your emergency supplies kit. I have mine started but feel like I am missing things.

Emergency supply kit? Is that for when they get a bunny boo boo? I'm with Fynnagin and I'd like to hear more about this kit.

Below is my revised list:

Item#:2753290[/align][align=left](The reason I still want this is because I'd feel better knowing he/she is locked in a secure cage when I'm not around to keep an eye on him/her. I'm sure a NIC cage or the playpen could do the trick, but I can't help but think that the bunny could find some way to leap out of it and then proceed to eat my room and electrocute itself on some wires.)
[/align] Large Clean Living Playpen

(The only reason I like this pen over the self-made one is because it comes with that washable cover that can serve as a pad between the bunny and the ground or as a cover outdoors to keep predators away from my bun bun.)

[/align] All Living Things® Water Bottles for Small Animals

[align=left] All Living Things® Nibble Bowls

Item#:2752726
[/align][align=left](Could I just use a regular bowl to feed my bunny, or would he/she break it somehow?)
[/align] Oxbow Botanical Hay

[align=left] Super Pet Pro Slicker Brush

[align=left] Purina® Yesterday's News® Small Animal Bedding and Litter
Pet Type:Small Animal Bedding 20 lb

Item#:2751592[/align] Brown's Zoo Vital Junior Bunny Growth Food

Item#:2755104

(Petsmart didn't have the Oxbow pellets for babies, so this was the next best thing. Anybody ever try giving this to their bun? It got good reviews on Petsmart.)

As for a litterbox, which I forgot to add the first time, I'm torn between

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752717

and

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2754967

Other things, not from Petsmart:

White Vinegar
Organic limb of some sort
Cardboard boxes
Baby toys (what kinds, exactly?)
Fruit

Oh, I found a video on youtube of a bunny in a cage like the one I've listed:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0Dvq7FO8As[/ame]

She's playing with one of those Petsmart toys with the bell on it, lol. She looks mesmerized.

happatk wrote:
Brown's Zoo Vital Junior Bunny Growth Food

Item#: 2755104

(Petsmart didn't have the Oxbow pellets for babies, so this was the next best thing. Anybody ever try giving this to their bun? It got good reviews on Petsmart.)

As for a litterbox, which I forgot to add the first time, I'm torn between

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752717

and

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2754967

White Vinegar
Cardboard boxes
Baby toys (what kinds, exactly?)
Fruit

The food may be okay, it's 18% protein, good for babies, but the fiber isn't very high and I don't like the fact they say its 'banana flavored'. If you do get it, I'd start by mixing the Oxbow pellets in with it. As s/he gets older, reduce the baby food and increase the Oxbow.

The litter box will depend on the size of the rabbit, but if s/he'll use the one with the grate, great. ;)

I wouldn't give him/her much fruit at all. And the baby toys I have are just little hand rattles they can grab and throw, so as long as they can get a grip on them, they're good.

Here's an example:

http://graph.exportpages.com/ppic/P82225F20019.jpg

That said, most of my rabbits only just rarely play with them. They prefer the hay-stuffed toilet/paper towel roll. And the cardboard boxes. Phone books are popular, too. They love to shred them.

sas :bunnydance:

This is my rabbit emergency supply kit. I also have all the medical stuff in his bucket for home use.

SDC11412.jpg

SDC11409.jpg

Ben Bac

SDC11410.jpg

Critical care

SDC11411.jpg

SDC11407.jpg

His full emergency kit

SDC11421.jpg

His kennel travel only the tog on the front has his name me and hubbys name and adress and me and hubbys cells and 2 other emergency contact numbers. In case they cant get a hold of us. And a blanket

SDC11418.jpg

His food I change this food everytime i buy a new bag about once every three months. It is three weeks worth of food. And very easy to clean food and water bowl

SDC11417.jpg

Medical travel kit I have two of everything so I dont have to snatch out of the other. In the event of a emergency we will have to leave fast. I want him to have everything. I use the stuff out of the emergency kit when I buy new stuff so nothing goes bad.

SDC11414.jpg

A bag of toys and toilet paper rolls I dont keep a hay ben in his emergeny kit. These toilet paper roll will provide his hay for him.

SDC11416.jpg

Snuggle sack it has a rice sock in it it was a dog toy I found at wal mart that your suposed to put a frozen water bottle in for you dog to chew and play with and keep them cool.

SDC11415.jpg

The container I keep it in I have every pets labeled so once I get them where they are going I dont have to keep checking each one.

SDC11419.jpg

We also have a small dog kennel its about 2 feet by 1 1/2 feet enough for him in a emergency situation. To live in for a few weeks. But that is in our car so I cant get a picture of that right now

Revised list, part 3:

Item#:2753290[/align] Large Clean Living Playpen

[/align] All Living Things® Water Bottles for Small Animals

[align=left] All Living Things® Nibble Bowls

Item#:2752726[/align] Oxbow Botanical Hay

[align=left] Super Pet Pro Slicker Brush

[align=left] Purina® Yesterday's News® Small Animal Bedding and Litter
Pet Type:Small Animal Bedding 20 lb

Item#:2751592[/align] Brown's Zoo Vital Junior Bunny Growth Food

Item#:2755104
All Living Things® Deluxe Scatterless Litter Pan for Rabbits & Ferrets

Item#:2752717

Oxbow Bunny Basics/T Rabbit Food

Item#:3135803

White Vinegar or Starch
Cardboard boxes
Baby toys
Nail clippers (I knew that, I just forgot to write it, d'oh!)
Medicine for emergency supply kit
A fleece blanket to cover the bottom of the cage
Toilet paper rolls

Woot woo! All I need now is a rabbit to go with this lovely set-up... Holland lop, Jersey Wooly, Lionhead/lop.... so many choices, so little room!!

:bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance:
:bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance:
:bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::?:bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance:
:bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance:

I use the Neat Idea Cubes to create a cage and about a million zip ties lol. I like the castles I can create for so much cheaper then the little cages they sell in stores....I am not sure which yesterday news I use..lol..I get the big green bag..the stuff for rabbit is the same but more money for less...stupid but hey. Don't trust in the stores that they will sell you anything ok for a bun. They will sell things NOT OK for buns too...
I get grass mats from my local vet, bunny bungalos...plastic key toys, empty tp rolls, balls, tunnels..and it will depend on your bun. Simon never really did ever come to care about any toy we bought and man did we try..
They say use the Alfala pellets for youngins...and the Timothy pellets for the older buns..the back of the bag will tell you...also your vet may want you to do something diff...so make sure to check with them...depending on health and weight etc.
Critial Care is good, but you can also make it with slushed up pellets. I ALWAYS keep canned pumpkin in the house...and I will be keeping, Bene Bac, always Infant gas drops for those just in case moments, white grape juice, and thinking about using the papaya... Nail clippers for trimming. You can buy the stuff in the store to stop bleeding, but an ice cube or corn starch works good too.
Water/Vin mix is good for cleaning and removing scent. Personaly wouldn't bother with store stuff.
Also that water/bleach for your serious clean up times...

I personally don't like the cloth carriers...I found a good hard plastic carrier good for small buns for 15 bucks at a local pet store. Good carrier and does the job it needs to...

I think it is really cool how serious you are taking everything and getting all set up!

If you can afford to splurge get the lot to make you feel like you have everything you could possibly want, but if cash is a bit of a concern get the most needed items first and work your way up to everything...sort of what I did...but lord knows I couldn't help but by a random toy in hopes Simon would like it...always a waste of money. However another one of the local pet stores here has a policy that if your animals wont play with it, they will reimburse you, trade you, or store credit. I think that rocks seeing as I had to do that ALL the time...

I am sure the really bun savy people are giving you great advice....

Orchid wrote:
If you can afford to splurge get the lot to make you feel like you have everything you could possibly want, but if cash is a bit of a concern get the most needed items first and work your way up to everything...sort of what I did...but lord knows I couldn't help but by a random toy in hopes Simon would like it...always a waste of money. However another one of the local pet stores here has a policy that if your animals wont play with it, they will reimburse you, trade you, or store credit. I think that rocks seeing as I had to do that ALL the time...

I'm going to try to buy everything at once (hopefully my bank account won't explode!), but if it gets a little too pricey, then I think my future bun bun could make do without the pricey cage. I just wanted it so he/she'd have their own little space where I know they would be safe, but I guess it's not entirely necessary.

Eh, I need to find me a bun bun first.

Orchid wrote:

I'm going to try to buy everything at once (hopefully my bank account won't explode!), but if it gets a little too pricey, then I think my future bun bun could make do without the pricey cage. I just wanted it so he/she'd have their own little space where I know they would be safe, but I guess it's not entirely necessary.

Eh, I need to find me a bun bun first.

Latest posts

Back