Is this cage okay?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I'm looking at getting my 9yo a 4-H companion. We live in a very small house and I was looking at the oxbow habitat with a play yard. Our plan is to only have them in their cage at night and when we're not in the house (we homeschool so are home most of the time). It's 47" x 22" would that be sufficient for sleeping and when we're not home? Other than that he'd have a small play yard and be out in the home.

Breeds I'm considering for him are netherland dwarf, britannia petite, dwarf hot tot. Those that stay under 3.5lbs.

I just replied to your prior post regarding suggestions. The smaller breeds are ones I'd steer away from. The smaller ones require lots of space because of their high energy levels. They also are the ones that can jump the highest (because of their light weight). That means they can make short work of jumping over pen walls. I'm guessing that the play yard that comes with the cage is just 24" or less in height. A small breed rabbit will jump over that with no effort.

Smaller rabbits also tend to be picked up more often which can lead to injury. Don't know if you have younger kids, but they tend to view rabbits as live stuffed animals. If the rabbit is closer to 8lbs, they are less likely to try to pick him up.

The store-bought cages tend to be expensive and not ideal either. The plastic bottoms are slippery on bunny paws which can cause legs to splay. The "upper level" is usually too small to be of any use. They come with water bottles (instead of bowls) and hay racks that are virtually useless.

BUT, there are better options!! Some people use an exercise pen as the cage itself. That's a simple option that provides more space (and costs less). Cages made from grid shelves are another option (and itself could be a constructive homeschool project). These can be made to any size and used with or without an exercise pen. You can see these and other options at the following link (my website):
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/housing-options.html
That page also contains a couple other links. One shows a number of different cages we had over the years (we homeschooled our kids too). And the other links to a resource page that has several links to habitat ideas and how-to's.

I just replied to your prior post regarding suggestions. The smaller breeds are ones I'd steer away from. The smaller ones require lots of space because of their high energy levels. They also are the ones that can jump the highest (because of their light weight). That means they can make short work of jumping over pen walls. I'm guessing that the play yard that comes with the cage is just 24" or less in height. A small breed rabbit will jump over that with no effort.

Smaller rabbits also tend to be picked up more often which can lead to injury. Don't know if you have younger kids, but they tend to view rabbits as live stuffed animals. If the rabbit is closer to 8lbs, they are less likely to try to pick him up.

The store-bought cages tend to be expensive and not ideal either. The plastic bottoms are slippery on bunny paws which can cause legs to splay. The "upper level" is usually too small to be of any use. They come with water bottles (instead of bowls) and hay racks that are virtually useless.

BUT, there are better options!! Some people use an exercise pen as the cage itself. That's a simple option that provides more space (and costs less). Cages made from grid shelves are another option (and itself could be a constructive homeschool project). These can be made to any size and used with or without an exercise pen. You can see these and other options at the following link (my website):
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/housing-options.html
That page also contains a couple other links. One shows a number of different cages we had over the years (we homeschooled our kids too). And the other links to a resource page that has several links to habitat ideas and how-to's.
Thanks, no younger children and the bun would have free roam of the room for about 14 to 12 hours most days. The yard it comes with had a top to it to prevent jumping out.

I'll look at the cages you listed, would splayed legs still be an issue if there is 3-4 inches of bedding?

Thanks, no younger children and the bun would have free roam of the room for about 14 to 12 hours most days. The yard it comes with had a top to it to prevent jumping out.

I'll look at the cages you listed, would splayed legs still be an issue if there is 3-4 inches of bedding?
Having that much bedding would end up being costly and would interfere with litter training as well. Having loose bedding anywhere other than a litter box would confuse bunny as to where to go potty. The entire cage would end up being a gigantic litter box. It would be quite the chore to clean it out regularly. But, yes, thick bedding should keep them from slipping on the plastic flooring.

Once you get the opportunity to browse through the linked site, you may get a better feel for the easier ways to house them with a designated litter box. There are pages there that review how to set up a litter box and how to litter train. There are also tips for free roaming. (I did the same as you plan to do-- free roam during the day and confine for the nighttime.)

Latest posts

Back