Is this bunny cheap?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perez28

Reaction score
Okay so I found myself at agway feed store the other day and they have live animals there they had lionhead rabbits for 25 dollars they said that they are from home breeders there was 3 from the same litter is this a good reasonable price for a pet rabbit or could these rabbits have health issues again I have zero experience with rabbits so have no clue just wondering thanx

Price is not an indicator of health or quality.

Look to make sure that the rabbit has bright, shiny eyes. They should have clean, dry noses (no discharge), and soft healthy looking fur. Check inside the ears to make sure they are clean, and flip the bunny over to check that the teeth are straight. Also, check the inside of the front legs for matting- if they are sick, they will often have matted fur on their front legs from cleaning a watery eye or nose.

If all of that checks out well, they are good to go. :)

Price really does not indicate quality or health. You can get a good show rabbit for free or pay $100 for a rabbit that ends up with lots of issues.
If you are just looking for a pet and these rabbits are healthy, then it is good. You should check them over before you pick one. Depending on the age, it can be hard to sex them, so you might want to get help if you know someone who can sex them for you.

Please consider a rescue rabbit. I'm not saying that a feed store rabbit would not be in good health, but they tend to buy from backyard breeders and general health/dental may be questionable. Adopting from a rescue, the bunny is already spayed/neutered, litterbox trained, and the foster family can tell you all about the bunny's personality and habits. Consider that in addition to the $25 you would need to get the rabbit spayed/neutered out of your own pocket. I don't know what a local rescue would charge your for an adoption fee. My rescue charges $55, which doesn't even cover our cost of the surgery.

Thank you for considering adoption!!

slavetoabunny wrote:
Please consider a rescue rabbit. I'm not saying that a feed store rabbit would not be in good health, but they tend to buy from backyard breeders and general health/dental may be questionable. Adopting from a rescue, the bunny is already spayed/neutered, litterbox trained, and the foster family can tell you all about the bunny's personality and habits. Consider that in addition to the $25 you would need to get the rabbit spayed/neutered out of your own pocket. I don't know what a local rescue would charge your for an adoption fee. My rescue charges $55, which doesn't even cover our cost of the surgery.

Thank you for considering adoption!!

agreed. don't support pet shops. normally they get rabbits from backyard breeders or rabbit mills who dont care much. more often than not the rabbits are kept in poor health, and are far too young to be away from their parents.

if you don't want to adopt, i'd say go to a reputable breeder. then you can be assured that the rabbit has been specifically bred for personality, type and health, rather than someone wanting a quick buck.

Ya adopting sounds alot better for the bunny and when u think about it cheaper even though that's not really what matters when I'm picking out. My bun Thanx for the info guys

There's no real strict definition of a backyard breeder (afterall, many good breeders do breed in their backyards) but when I think backyard breeder, I think of someone breeding because they think they'll make money off of it rather than breeding with the purpose of bettering their breed. This often means that they will breed two animals without considering their genetic or health histories. A good breeder will be able to tell you why they love their breed and will cull (remove from their breeding program) animals that do not produce good offspring.

missyscove wrote:
There's no real strict definition of a backyard breeder (afterall, many good breeders do breed in their backyards) but when I think backyard breeder, I think of someone breeding because they think they'll make money off of it rather than breeding with the purpose of bettering their breed. This often means that they will breed two animals without considering their genetic or health histories. A good breeder will be able to tell you why they love their breed and will cull (remove from their breeding program) animals that do not produce good offspring.

ya, that's basically what i meant. not literally "in the backyard" as thats what most people would do, just people that buy two pets from the pet shop and make them have sex so they can just constantly churn out poor quality babies

Ok so again I originally wanted a rabbit from a shelter but I'm really set on a lionhead I don't know I just love that breed well none of the rescues near me have any so I thought outta curiosity I'd check out a breeder I found one near my grandmas house the are called the circus lion rabbitry they have a site called circuslionrabbitry.com can anyone tell me if this is a good breeder I really don't know what to look for thanx

I'm no help with deciding if a breeder is good, but if you haven't already, try petfinder.com You can put in what breed you are looking for and your zip code. I don't know if you can order the results to show you how close the rescue is to you, but the website will show you all the lionheads (or other breeds if you want) at rescues near you. Good luck!

Does your grandmother live in Wilkes Barre / Scranton, PA? Because that's the address on the breeder's website, which is different from the location on your profile. If it is then by look of the picks and her advertisement, she seems like a good, caring breeder If you want to do some digging you could check with the American Rabbit Breeders Association since shes a member of the group.

A bit of warning though. Breeders of the caliber that she's advertising can be expansive so expect to pay up to 100.00 or more for just one.

Edit: Never mind, just checked her prices and they are very affordable.

Pet quality - $15 (purebred, no pedigree) Show quality - $50 + up (purebred, includes pedigree)

Really, I never take price into consideration since Star is the only rabbit I have actually paid for. All of the other rabbits either were being dumped (For some reason, we get a lot of emails about this sort of thing since we're the Canadian Rabbit Hopping Club, even though we are not a rescue) or just looking for a good home. Price really means nothing here.

It's odd that lionheads would be so hard to find there, they are pretty common here.

Latest posts

Back