Is this bedding safe??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nikki_Shortstuff

Reaction score
I'm new to the rabbit world, I've only had Charlie for over a week now. I've been using this bedding from the brand "Sun Seed Sunthing Special". It's "Northern White Pine Bedding" but I've recently discovered (doing some research online) that pine bedding is bad for rabbits?

BUT, the descripton on the back says,

The naturally absorbant Northern White Pine shaving are cleaned several times removing dust and fines that can be harmful to your pet's respiratory system. Multiple cleaning creates a bedding material consisting of soft, fluffy flakes ideal for your pet.

I'm worried, have I been hurting my baby bunny? :(

i was using it for a while too, but i'd suggest to be safe to avoid it - even if the company does make those guarantees.

we don't use any bedding at the moment, it is such a pain to clean and makes such a mess. they have toys, hay, food, litter box etc but just contact covered cardboard at their feet.

my grandma always used pne she had over 200 head and i use pine. my grandma neve had problems andshe raised them for umpteen years. I haven't had any problems. so yes contrary to popular belief pine is fine for rabbits.

Crystal

I personally just use Aspen. It's just a naturally softer tree, and lots less stuff in it then an actual pine tree has.

The only thing we've used that had ill effects was that fully **** they sell at the petstores that comes in different colors. I'd steer totally clear of it.

We go to Wally World (Wal Mart) and get the kiln dried pine. Kiln drying removes all the Phenols which is what makes pine toxic. Been using it for more than 8 years.

Latest posts

Back