Is this an unconventional way of earning money?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katmais_mommy

Reaction score
The school in CA that I'm applying to is a lot of money. and my back-up school is cheap but the housing is a lot of money.

I was thinking of being an egg donor. I'll get between 7k and 10k. I'm healthy and the only thing I need to do is lose weight. Other than that, I'm completely eligible.

I'm almost 21 so I can technically/legally do whatever I want but I'm still worried about what my parents will say.

I already know that the egg donation process is 3-4 months long which is fine because I'm leaving in 10 months.

If I can't do it here in my home state, I might do it in CA.

You'll need to look into possible risks. I imagine what your parents would most want to know is how the risks compare to those of getting pregnant & giving birth. As long as they are much less than that, your parents should be able to put it into perspective. After all, your mother took that risk at least once. [And, lol, all she got out of it was a troublesome daughter.] And it might help to stress how you'd be helping someone else become a mother.

As someone who has been thorugh the ivf process... Where my ovaries are stimulated and then my eggs retrieved... The process would be the same for you up until that point... The shots and such that you are required to take are VERY taxing on your body! There are also possible complications... One of which I had, called hyper stimulation.... It resulted in me needing to be hospitalized and I eventually had to have fluid removed from my lungs because it was so severe... Also the actual egg retrieval is a surgery! You are put under anestesia and have a tube down your throat to breathe for you... I was willing to ut myself through all of this for the chance to have a child... But having been through it I would NEVER do it again (even tho it didn't work for us) even for any amount of money! I missed alot of work and didn't get my body "back" for nearly a year from all the side effects from all the drugs and hormones.
Not trying to scare you just sharing our experience.
You also would have to consider that should you donate, and someone achieve a healthy pregnancy and birth from you egg, that you could have a biological child out there somewhere...
The decision is yours alone but please research and then research some more before you decide!

I would seriously research the full aspect of your decision. It was incredibly generous of BunMommaD to give their experience in this "last resort" way of creating something so special as a child. My heartfelt condolences that it just wasn't meant to be BunMommaD. Understand your loss completely.

Though it's noble to help others find a way to create such a special gift, with donation, it's not as easy as some say. A lot easier for a man, but really takes a toll on a woman. Understand where your head's at regarding finances. My hats off to you because some don't even think of that part of life, but maybe this "quick" money for a good cause might not be worth the toll it could take on you in the future.

Talk to your parents as well. They will be open and honest with you and will be looking out for your best interests. It's your decision. Wishing you all the luck in whatever you decide.

K :)

I honestly looked into doing this as well. For me, what stopped me was the amount of family history that they ask. If a member of your family was adopted or had medical problems, they won't even let you apply. You have to know A LOT about your family's medical history.

I know someone who did this to put herself through college. She doesn't regret it, but she did say how time-consuming it was, and how emotionally and physically taxing it was.

I don't know what you're financial situation is with your family, and I don't want to really discuss mine on a public forum, but if after a lot of research, you still decide it's a good idea, and you and your parents can figure out the medical information that you'd need, then maybe it would be necessary.

But I work 35 hour weeks at a minimum wage food service job and am a full time graduate student as well, and I can say that it is possible to work and be in school at the same time. One of my best friends in undergrad worked two full time jobs and was a triple major. She's kind of intense, but still, it's possible.

Back