Is This a Good, Safe Solution? (Grooming Question)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparklyyy

Reaction score
Hi! I have been overwhelmed with grooming my bunnies (particularly Zeke -- he's a mini lop with a long, thick, agouti-colored coat), and I'm certain if there's any resource for discovering helpful tips and tricks, it's from all of you! :)

It seems that no matter how frequently I groom the buns, there is hair everywhere! I have tried brushing Zeke and Nora nearly every day of the week. I have tried wetting my hands (and/or a towel) and running them over my buns' bodies to remove excess fur. I have tried numerous brushes (Furminator, Shed Ender, soft bristle, etc.). Often, I utilize all of the above in one grooming session. A few times a week, I vacuum thoroughly with an expensive, well-maintained vacuum. Regardless, there always seems to be a fresh coat of fur on the carpet, in the water bowl, on the ceiling fan blades, etc. Patches of Zeke's undercoat often become loose and stick out wildly. Hair always seems to be flying off of their backs and into my face, but that doesn't stop me from lying on the floor and cuddling with them. :D

I have thought about purchasing an electric razor or taking Zeke to a groomer to take an edge off the fur. Have any of you done this? I haven't heard about this method being used, except with Angora rabbits. Any other tips and tricks I haven't thought of?

Thanks! :bunnydance:

If you were to do it, you would need to invest in good equipment. The clippers you can get a Walmart will not work for very long (consider yourself lucky if you could do it 5 times). A store like Petsmart should have some decent clippers, but expect to pay $150 for it.
The blade you use is also important, I recently bought an Oster size 10 hoping that it will do the trick. I have used Andis for a few years and haven't been able to cut rabbit fur with it.
I would also buy a blade comb so you aren't cutting too short. A size 10 is about 1/16" or 1.6mm. You can get the combs from 1/8" to 1". There are also blades that cut longer.

Personally, I am not sure if it would help the shedding. The fur will be shorter, but will still shed. The shedding fur won't be as long, but it will still be there. Unless you go very short (size 10 without a comb), I don't think it will help much.
You could see if a groomer can do it and see if you like it, before you invent in the equipment.

There are some risks involved with novice shearing including shock and hypothermia. I'd just keep vacuuming. ;)

Pam

I run the shop vac while I groom. I have the hose next to me to catch the loose hairs, and to take the hair off the brush after each stroke.

I use a hand held vacuum (Dyson DC16) to clean the cages daily.

:tears2: I have rabbit hair in my eyes, ears, nose, mouth and all over everything in my room. I'm having the same problem.

I use my little hand vac to suck up hairs around his cage and vacuum with the big vac once a week.

I'm hoping once the weather cools down he will stop. My dad is freezing all the time, so it stays warm in the house. :grumpy:

Looks like I'm not the only one. :) I also use the pet hair attachment on my vacuum cleaner. At times, I've been tempted to use it directly on the buns! Kidding, of course. ;) Thanks for the responses, everyone! If anyone else has any tips or tricks, I'd still love to hear! :)

Erin

pamnock wrote:
There are some risks involved with novice shearing including shock and hypothermia. I'd just keep vacuuming. ;)

Pam
I agree.

Taking a rabbit to a pet grooming salon isn't something that should be done, either. It's too noisy and can really stress a rabbit. There is always the option of calling a mobile, but they charge $15-$25 extra then a salon...but also, still stressful. Plus, a lot of groomers aren't trained with rabbits, shoot...many aren't trained for cats.

I'd just keep vacuuming and using the furminator. Unfortunately, having house rabbits means having lots of fur ;). I should invite you into my bunny room right now *shudder*.

What about putting the vacuum hose ON the rabbit to suck out loose fur? My bunnies would die of fright, they hate the vacuum so much, but some bunnies might be able to take it, especially if you already use the shop vac while you groom, like Stan. I've heard of a few bunnies that like it, as well as a few cats.

One thing I also do when I'm grooming is run one of the pet hair rollers over him. Just to help get some excess fur off. But I am having alot of trouble with him right now. :grumpy: It is not even cool. Even though he gets brushed every day, he is still getting knots and tangles. They never get further than that, if I can brush them out or untangle them with my fingers, they get the snip. But my goodness, I don't even know what to do.

tonyshuman wrote:
What about putting the vacuum hose ON the rabbit to suck out loose fur?

I've done it. ;)

My bunnies are so use to the vacuum that they will chase and chin the machine when I take it into their run to clean their mess.
Other times, they won't budge when I come around with the wand, so I have to push them aside. :D

To vacuum the rabbit, as long as you don't get the full suction on their skin. The secret is hold the hose parallel to the body so the opening of the hose doesn't get covered and air constantly flows. There are attachments where you can reduce the suction, by opening a separate trap on the hose.
If you are not confidentabout it, don't do it. I did catch Bebe's ear one time. :p

I also used lint rollers, to run it up and down the bunnies back. :biggrin2:

Good suggestion, Stan! You can also lightly pull stubborn loose hair from the rabbit and suck it directly up into the vacuum.

Thanks for the comments! I will admit that I did try using the hose directly on Zeke. He didn't love it, so I quit (although, the temptation still remains... he he). The hose wasn't entirely parallel to his body, though, so perhaps I'll try that. Using the hose directly on Nora is out of the question; she's a nervous wreck every time I vacuum!

I have also tried using pet hair rollers on the buns. Zeke's undercoat is the real problem, though, so I feel like I need a more high-powered version of the Furminator that doesn't yet exist. :)

Thanks again for the helpful comments. I figured I'd try to find out if there's a simple solution I haven't thought of trying. I don't mind going the extra mile (or two or three miles!) for Zeke and Nora; they're spoiled brats, but I love 'em! He he!

sparklyyy wrote:
Zeke's undercoat is the real problem, though, so I feel like I need a more high-powered version of the Furminator that doesn't yet exist. :)
Something more then a furminator? LOL! If you keep brushing with a furminator, then hair will keep coming out....probably until the bun is bald :p. You have to only brush to a certain point....or I can see how hair would still be shedding out.

Maybe you can try something like this? I just saw the ad in my dog grooming magazine...
http://www.andis.com/USA/products.asp?Div=SM Animal&Product=De-shedder

Latest posts

Back