IS THERE ANY SUCH THING AS FLEA SHAMPOO FOR BUNNIES?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldnt bathe your rabbit unless it was veryfilthy, and not very often. If you really must, use babyshampoo, flea shampoo may be too strong as there skin is sensitive andlike butter. use warm, not hot water, and dry them off very well, youwouldnt want he/she to catch a cold.

I use cat shampoo because cats and rabbits bothlick themselves to dry off. However DownEastFarminilops isright...don't bathe your rabbit unless you absolutely have to.

Someone sent me a list of home cleaners etc....

I know that Dawn dish soap is good for cleaning ucky bunnies... could you use it for that purpose on a rabbit

Kills fleasinstantly.Dawndish washing liquid does the trick. Add a few drops to your dog's bathand shampoo the animal thoroughly. Rinse well to avoid skinirritations. Goodbye fleas.

Hi,why does every one say not to bathe the rabbit.

I have bathed him befor and I use johnson babyshampoo but I came on here to see what would help my bunny cause he hasfleas. At first I didn't want to say but u guys got me to sayit.

Delia

Try not to get his/her ears wet. Any water thatgets into their ears can cause serious damage... and putting the rabbitinto a basin with shallow warm water in it instead of letting the waterpour on top of the rabbit seems like a better idea..
I suggest going to a rabbit-savvy vet or taking the Dawn adivce (I've never heard of that but I trust her advice)

Bathing is usually not recommended because manyrabbits are so scared of being bathed. Yours is obviously anexception. I would still be careful, as he could hurt himselfif he ever did get scared. I remember an instance a fewmonths ago where a forum member was bathing her rabbit's feet and therabbit paniced and broke a leg.

I would also be careful about getting water in your rabbit's ears,especiallybecause he is a lop. Lops are more proneto ear problems.

If you need to treat him for fleas, you can use cat fleapowder. Some of the squeeze-on-the-neck types are safe, butnot all. I can't remember which ones are safe rightnow. Don't use them without researching them first.

Rabbits are just very sensitive animals, wearent trying to be mean, we are just trying to let you know what is agood way to approach this. Some rabbits dont like beingbathed, yours is apparently ok with it. If a rabbit isntdried enough, it could catch a cold, of after a bath may become abreeding ground for flies. Chelsea

I would never bathe a rabbit again afterLiquorice had to be put down on the evening of the day I bathed her inBob Matrtens rabbit shampoo. She also hated being bathed and panickedwhile I was doing it. That was an anti flea shampoo containingPyrethrum.

Honestly, hon, you wouldn't know whether yourrabbit really likes baths or not, and I'm 90% sure that he/she doesn't.Do you know how stressful bathing for a rabbit can be? ESPECIALLY whenyou get their ears/face wet? Rabbits don't like to show it when theyare sore or stressed because that makes them seem weak (they are on thebottoom of the food chain). Please, don't bathe your bun again unlesshe/she still has fleas, is VERY dirty, or has pee stained feet (in thatcase you can just dip their feet in or even use a wet towel to cleanhim/her). I don't mean to sound like an ass, but, it's true and I knowyou wouldn't want to to your bun through all the stress.
Again, rabbit savvy vets are the best choice. Or browse rabbit websites like rabbit.org or google 'rabbit care'.

Latest posts

Back