Is there a problem with feeding your rabbits too many veggies?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gelliebean

Reaction score
My personal rabbit and rabbits that I take care of get fed LOTS of veggies. Momo and the one I'm caring for right now (Phoebe) both weigh around 4-5 pounds and they get two bowls a day, each bowl being around 2 ish cups sometimes more sometimes less.

I've never had problems with their gut but is this too much? Both bunnies get 1/8 of pellets and unlimited Timothy hay, though sometimes I switch it up and buy orchard.

If veggies are reducing hay appetite to an extent that the rabbits are not getting enough fiber, dental and gut maintenance, and enrichment throughout the day, then it is problematic. It's like if you stuff yourself with snacks, so you're too full to eat a good meal afterwards!

I think it also depends on the veggies you're presenting. Different vegetables have different nutritional content (or lack thereof), so if vegetables are making a substantial portion of their diet, you need to be more intentional and attentive to their nutritional compositions.

If they are eating plenty of hay and their poos are good, then 2-4 cups of greens per day is just fine. As mentioned by @John Wick, which greens you choose play a factor. I like to think more in terms of 'greens' than 'veggies.' Some are safe for daily feeding, others are not. Some are too high in oxalic acids or calcium. Those ones should be limited. Here is a chart that may help sort that out:
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/greens--veggies.html
Here's a quote from an article on HRS:
Once pellets have been reduced, it is equally important to make sure that fresh grass hay is available to the rabbit at all times, and that fresh vegetables be given in larger amounts than has previously been recommended (up to 2-4 cups a day).

If they are eating plenty of hay and their poos are good, then 2-4 cups of greens per day is just fine. As mentioned by @John Wick, which greens you choose play a factor. I like to think more in terms of 'greens' than 'veggies.' Some are safe for daily feeding, others are not. Some are too high in oxalic acids or calcium. Those ones should be limited. Here is a chart that may help sort that out:
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/greens--veggies.html
Here's a quote from an article on HRS:
Once pellets have been reduced, it is equally important to make sure that fresh grass hay is available to the rabbit at all times, and that fresh vegetables be given in larger amounts than has previously been recommended (up to 2-4 cups a day).

Usually the bunnies get romaine/green lettuce and cilantro. And sometimes I switch it up by adding kale, bok choy, watercress... rarely spinach but they get it as a treat every so often. What's your opinion on kale? They don't get it all the time but it is one of the veggies I regularly pick up for them. I hear some people saying it's fine and others saying it should only be a treat.

Kale has a lot of Ox acid
Last I checked, the jury is still out on kale. I've seen conflicting info on it as well.

I agree, there's so many websites with conflicting info. Some say kale is super high in oxalates and some say that it contains it but in very low levels... I'll just stay safe and offer it as a special treat every couple of weeks.

Back